MIni Monitor 4K

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Kevin Christopher

MIni Monitor 4K

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 4:07 pm

So in one of my suites I decided to try out a Mini Monitor 4K. If all you work with is 16:9 1080, or UHD everything is fine, but if you have a different aspect ratio the output is squashed in Premiere. For example we often shoot in 2:1 or 2:39:1 aspect ratio. so our Frame sizes can be 3840 x 1920, or 3840 x 1605. When creating a timeline with these resolutions it squashes the picture horizontally and sets the output of the card to 1080P output. Any Ideas the interface inside of premiere is pretty sparse.

Edit 1
Should have specified:

Mac OS 10.12.3
Blackmagic Desktop Video 10.8.5
Premiere Pro CC 2017 11.0.2

Kevin
Kevin Christopher
Editor/Post Production Supervisor
http://www.kevinedits.com
Mac OS 10.12.5, Titan X (Maxwell), 80TB SAS Raid

Kevin Christopher

Re: MIni Monitor 4K

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 8:40 pm

So I just spoke to support about this, and they have no answers why it works in resolve, but not premiere. This is the same kind of answers I have gotten for years with BM. Implementation of product features should work the same across all of the software you support. Give me an option to not to scale. That would work.

Kevin
Kevin Christopher

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Nope- you are wrong here. This is a matter for Adobe support.
BM card passes what Adobe engine sends to it. There is setting which allows you to choose to fit, centre crop etc. Have you tried it?

If this doesn't work- always work in UHD frame for 2.39:1 material and then if you want non standard frame export, change project setting before export. This should work. BM card always have to work in UHD frame size, it's just a matter how non standard frame size is inserted into this frame (and this is rather controlled by Adobe engine in Premiere, not BM drivers).

Kevin Christopher

PostMon May 08, 2017 6:12 pm

Adobe does not decide how the scaling works on the BM products. You have 3 options for non standard sizes. No output, Scale Down, and Scale UP. Why does it not scale with a locked aspect ratio?

Kevin
Kevin Christopher

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon May 08, 2017 6:54 pm

In case of Premiere they do and this is separate from BM hardware scaling (most likely).

GeranSimpson

PostMon May 08, 2017 10:48 pm

I have also noticed similar artifacts when monitoring widescreen aspect ratios with this card. While on the edit page the card displays both the top and bottom "crops" on top of each-other, so the image space is pushed to one side of the screen with a consistent visual artifact along the bottom most pixel row. But in the color page it is cropped and displayed correctly.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue May 09, 2017 8:49 am

You mean in Resolve?
Again- this is Resolve not really card issue. Resolve scales image to one of the standards and sends to card which just passes it as is.

peterlugosi@gmail.com

PostSat Jan 26, 2019 9:22 am

I was also looking for the answer to this. What I've done is forget about the Mini monitor for Premiere altogether. Like others have said works great for DaVinci so leave it for that and that alone. My second monitor is HDMI based so my advise is get a great Nvidia video card, which you need CUDA for DaVinci anyway. I have active Display port to HDMI cables going to both monitors which output UHD @ 60p which is perfect.

I am currently using an Nvidia Titan Xp in Mac Pro 2012 os 10.12. So in Premiere select your second monitor (or which ever you're using) in your playback settings as an output monitor instead of the Decklink Mini 4k. This works perfect. I always shoot 2.35:1 aspect ratio and I needed a correct aspect output for clients and this does the trick. Since I always shoot Panavision Anamorphic/Alexa I needed an OLED based system and these TV's can switch outputs. So I select a secondary "Desktop Monitor" for a Premiere output and Switch to a different calibrated input for the Deck Link 4k, when I am doing a color grade in DaVinci. Wish the MIni Monitor 4K worked for both but it doesn't.

It's been suggested to me by BM support to use a 16:9 4K or UHD timeline in Premiere Pro, but performance suffers in Premiere because you're not working within the correct aspect ratio of the files..

Hope this helps.

Video cards I tested that work great for multi monitor setups are Nvidia Quadro P4000 and up, and Nvidia Titan Xp. You could probably get away with a GTX 1080 (for 1920x1080 displays) if you're not pushing dual 4K displays at HDR/10 bit..
Director of Photography, Editor, Colorist & Producer - peterlugo.com
Mac Pro 2019 (24c, 4x Radeon VII), Ultrastudio 4k Mini, LG Pro BP95E &
BMD Micro Controller

PhotoJoseph

PostWed Mar 18, 2020 7:42 pm

Same issue with Final Cut Pro X. BMD Support says there should be a setting in FCPX, which there is not. I'm guessing it's the same in Premiere.
https://youtube.com/photojoseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini on 10gb network
Synology RS1221+ 10gb
Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini
ATOMOS NEON 4K reference monitor

Return to Post Production