Video Style Edit tools for Audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andy Partington

Video Style Edit tools for Audio

PostTue May 09, 2017 9:02 am

Hi all

In the absence of any pages of the User Guide for the Fairlight page, I wonder if anyone here can answer this query....

Will there be any way to use the Video Editing tools (ie Slip, Roll, Ripple style editing) on audio clips at sub-frame level? The DAW used most in the BBC in the UK, SADiE, has always had this functionality (uniquely, I think among pure DAWs) and it's INCREDIBLY useful and quick for speech editing.

I realise there would be issues to (ahem) 'resolve' relating to how any video clips would ripple in sync with audio clips that were being moved at higher precision than frame boundaries, but for audio-only work it's an amazing time saver.

Looking at the Beta of DVR14, I can't see any tools in the Fairlight page which would allow this kind of editing, but it'd be great to know if there's a way to do it.

Many thanks
Andy

Dermot Shane

Re: Video Style Edit tools for Audio

PostTue May 09, 2017 3:02 pm

Will there be any way to use the Video Editing tools (ie Slip, Roll, Ripple style editing) on audio clips at sub-frame level? The DAW used most in the BBC in the UK, SADiE, has always had this functionality (uniquely, I think among pure DAWs) and it's INCREDIBLY useful and quick for speech editing.

+1
DS has this, it works very well, undeline; INCREDIBLY useful and quick for speech editing

this is high on the list of the reasons iwhy work on comericals in DS still ( + the really good paint/gfx tools)

John Paines

PostTue May 09, 2017 3:05 pm

Andy Partington wrote:Will there be any way to use the Video Editing tools (ie Slip, Roll, Ripple style editing) on audio clips at sub-frame level?

The control is a bit rudimentary, been it's been possible to slip audio at sub-frame levels in the timeline for several versions now.

Andy Partington

PostTue May 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Really? Can you point me in the direction of how to do this please?

When you say the control is rudimentary, what do you mean? What's really needed is the capability to see the audio waveform and mouse drag either the audio within the clip or the edge with everything else around it Rippling.... is this possible?

Andy

John Paines

PostTue May 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Select the audio clip, make sure the waveforms are on and you're zoomed in, then alt+left or alt+right arrow. It moves in 1/10th of a frame increments, which you'll be able to see. I believe it's also available via the Trim menu.

wolfgang hershey

PostTue May 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Add a BIG +1 to this

And I would also suggest
please bring the various sorts of meta-grouping
from the color panel to the rest of the system
I would like to be able to select all the audio from a given tagged group
to apply a single overall audio effect to

the idea of overall audio effects
using the pre-timeline grouping
just like we do with the color panel using the metadata of which camera something comes from
and then allow us to do a pre-timeline color correction
this is super-powerful and really convenient when having to correct a show very fast

please try to bring these kinds of ideas to the audio side also

peace
WH
MacBook Pro (16-inch 2019)
OS X 13.3.1 (a) / 18.5 beta Resolve Studio - DeckLink Studio 4k via Thunderbolt3
64GB - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB
10Gb ethernet network

Jim Simon

PostTue May 09, 2017 3:53 pm

In Premiere Pro, one can switch the timeline display from timecode/frames to audio units. Doing so will allow all edit commands on audio clips to operate at the sample level.

I'm still new to Resolve. Is that not possible here?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Partington

PostTue May 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Ah, OK. Useful though this is, what I really need is the whole movement to be under Mouse (or HWC) control. It's far too slow to use the mouse to get to the nearest frame, then use a key to adjust in 1/10 increments (and that's not really precise enough for audio-only work anyway).

If we could use the Fairlight page to zoom in on the audio waveform, and drag with Ripple (both directions as appropriate) to sample precision, that would be incredible, and potentially allow me to use Resolve for all my work - video and radio based.

John Paines

PostTue May 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Fairlight is barely implemented at this point. I believe one of the promotional videos referenced sample-level control, but probably best to wait and see.

Am not sure you're using the word "ripple" in the NLE sense, because when you "slip" you don't "ripple" -- they're opposites.

Andy Partington

PostTue May 09, 2017 5:04 pm

Yes I appreciate the different terminology.....

"Ripple from Edges" would probably do what I need (ie if I drag the Fade Out of an audio clip left or right, all clips to the right on the timeline move by the same amount and in the same direction; and if I drag the Fade In then clips to the left move likewise)

Also though (from using SADiE), it is sometimes preferable to drag the AUDIO of a waveform so that some of it disappears under an unmoving Fade Point, but with the other end of the audio clip "Rippling" instead of slipping at that end instead - ie the Fade which isn't being dragged is unaffacted apart from moving in time.

I could post a video to demonstrate this if that explanation is terrible!

Andy

Andy Partington

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Here it is....

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Andy Partington wrote:Hi all

Many thanks
Andy

Sub-frame editing is now possible for audio clips on the edit page and of course the Fairlight page in v14. Just make sure you are not linked to a video clip as you will be limited by the link. Please let me know if this is not working for you. Zoom in enough to see it work.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Andy Partington

PostWed May 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks for the answer, I'll check it out when I can. Is it down to sample level precision, or something coarser like 1/10 frame?

Andy Partington

PostWed May 10, 2017 4:29 pm

All I can see, even in v14, is a keyboard command to Slip Audio by a subframe forwards or backwards. With the mouse I can't get any moves of less than a frame to happen... Am I doing something wrong, or is this an actual limitation?

What would be absolutely ideal (and I realise I'm probably asking a lot) is for a MODE that we could switch into that removes the "frame at a time" limitation from editing with all the normal mouse tools. Applied to audio it could adjust down to a suitable degree of coarseness depending on the zoom/screen resolution - all the way to sample precision if zoomed in far enough. All audio clips in the timeline would Ripple by exactly the same amount. Any video clips would Ripple but "quantised" to the nearest frame.

Too much to ask? :-D

Andy

Return to DaVinci Resolve