The ONE thing I wish Resolve Could do like Premiere

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael McCaffrey

The ONE thing I wish Resolve Could do like Premiere

PostTue May 09, 2017 7:29 pm

A smooth, scale-able zoom in and out of the timeline.

I use the CTRL/OPTION+MOUSE WHEEL to zoom in and out of the timeline ALL the time. Its quick! Zooming in and out of the timeline in resolve, is very clunky. The clips dont scale smoothly. They jump to (it seems) set interval sizes. Like clicks on gear. Its very jaunting and makes it very difficult to quickly zoom in or out. I have to zoom out a bit and see if I am where I want to be. Then if I still want to go out, I zoom out some more, then wait, then zoom, then wait, and then zoom and I overshoot, so then I have to zoom back in and wait.. and you get the idea. Painful.

To make matters worse, when the scrub bar is on the left or right of the timeline, and I zoom in, it moves to the center as I push in like it should, but as i continue to zoom in, then the scrub bar moves to the far other side of the timeline, and then back, and then to the other side and is all over the place. This makes things even more disorientating.

In Premiere, the clips scale smoothly. This is SO helpful be cause I can zoom in and out fast and never lose where I am contextually. I zoom in and keep zooming until I am where I want to be, and stop. It takes just a second to accomplish. This may seem like a little thing, but this is the most used function in Resolve. It's like using the word "the." It's a little thing, but its used so frequently, fixing this would make a WORLD of difference for everyone! It really really makes makes doing anything on the timeline in Resolve a cumbersome process. Also in Premiere, when zooming in for example, the scrub bar moves to the center of the timeline, and then STAYS there while I continue to zoom in. This is not disorientating.

I can edit so much faster in Premiere. But Im making this feature request / performance improvement because I'd LOVE to switch to Resolve for many other reasons. Im editing four feature length documentaries and I'd never be able to edit in Resolve like I can in Premiere. Everything is quick and scales and moves smoothly. The clunky, jittery interaction with Resolve is my one pet-peeve. Even with a 90 min cut in Premiere things scale smoothly, but in Resolve, the larger sequences make things even more laggy and very difficult to work with.

To Re-Cap:
1. Smooth scaling/zooming in/out of Resolve Timeline
2. Have scrub/playback bar move to center and stay in the center.
3. Also be able to zoom in where the mouse cursor is, as opposed to where the scrub bar is.
4. Maintain the smooth scaling/zooming of the timeline with longer fully-loaded sequences as well.

The video kind of illustrates the point. I've seen Resolve where its been even worse than in the video.

BM has made great strides forward with the performance and playback in v14 that I'd love to see those performance improvements carry over into the GUI and timeline as mentioned above! I really think, with this issue "resolved," that it would bring a multitude of career editors over to Resolve :)

VIDEO EXAMPLE:
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

John Paines

Re: The ONE thing I wish Resolve Could do like Premiere

PostTue May 09, 2017 7:56 pm

It's at this level of operation that Resolve is at its weakest -- failings also include panel focus issues, cursor keys with conflicting duties, "sticky" clip selection, etc. After work is disrupted a few dozen times by unexpected behavior, frustration mounts.

BMD could do worse than look at Premiere for these basics.

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:00 am

Michael McCaffrey wrote:1. Smooth scaling/zooming in/out of Resolve Timeline
3. Also be able to zoom in where the mouse cursor is, as opposed to where the scrub bar is.
4. Maintain the smooth scaling/zooming of the timeline with longer fully-loaded sequences as well.

I have to say, these are valid criticisms. I would love for the play head to only stay in the center, which to me is expected behavior.

Have you tried the Beta of v14 yet? They did fix and change quite a few editing functions for this version. I think Blackmagic is very serious about providing real competition to Adobe Premiere for editing.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Michael McCaffrey

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:08 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Michael McCaffrey wrote:1. Smooth scaling/zooming in/out of Resolve Timeline

I have to say, these are valid criticisms. I would love for the play head to only stay in the center, which to me is expected behavior.

Have you tried the Beta of v14 yet? They did fix and change quite a few editing functions for this version. I think Blackmagic is very serious about providing real competition to Adobe Premiere for editing.

Yes this is the 14 beta version. Im excited about all the performance improvements as this was a major reason for me not deciding to switch to resolve when v12 came out. Bugs aside (because this is a beta version), the performance improvements fixed, I would definitely move to resolve. Having such fantastic color grading tools and performance and leveraging the GPUs inside the editing software is what sets Resolve apart from other NLE's. Yes other software uses GPUs but the implementation is horrendous. Ive had a 2013 MacPro for 3-4 years and Premiere still only uses one of my Dual GPUs. It doesnt use dual GPUs at all. Anyway, if BMD can sort out the bugs it'd be reason enough to switch. If they can smooth out the GUI interactions with the timeline, then there's no question.
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Andreas Schwarz

PostWed May 10, 2017 4:24 pm

....what I love in premier, is the ability to "zoom" into the clips in the source viewer. It makes it very easy to select a part of a long clip! I really miss that in resolve....

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed May 10, 2017 7:19 pm

Zooming in/out on clips in the Resolve timeline would be nice. I'll see if it's in the new DR14 beta 2 update yet.

Meanwhile, over in Adobe Premiere land (yikes!):
http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/05/10/a ... appearing/

-

Tom Early

PostThu May 11, 2017 9:47 am

Agreed, having the timeline jerk about all over the place whenever zooming in/out sure is annoying :evil:
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Return to DaVinci Resolve