error during upgrade of PostgreSQL

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Sterne

error during upgrade of PostgreSQL

PostThu May 11, 2017 12:28 am

I decided to finally update from El Capitan to Sierra in advance of DR 14 and before updating I followed the instructions in "Upgrading your PostgreSQL database server on Mac".

The backup and upgrade proceeded without incident but the restore generated a couple of errors:

ERROR: role "postgres" already exists
ERROR: database "resolve" already exists
Restore completed successfully.

I have two PostgreSQL folders in Applications, one for 8.4 and one for 9.5. The one for 9.5 lacks three items that exist in the 8.4 folder:

• Restart Server
  • Start Server
  • Stop Server

So far I have used only disk databases so I don't know how to check if things are ok, or if this even matters. I haven't updated the OS yet.

Can anyone explain what's going on? Thanks in advance.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: error during upgrade of PostgreSQL

PostThu May 11, 2017 12:45 am

Error messages during the upgrade process are normal.

Having 2 folders after the upgrade process is normal.

9.5 lacking the server start/stop/restart apps is normal.

Look in the Mac Activity Monitor set to show All Processes. Sort by the Process Name column. If you see several postgres processes running, then PostgreSQL is running and all is OK.

Assuming you see postgres processes running, if you want to verify PostgreSQL is working for Resolve, open the Resolve Database Manager window, select Create, change the Driver to QPSQL, enter a name into the Label and DB Name areas and leave the other other areas as is, then click the Create New Database button. If that database shows up in the list, then PostgreSQL is all good.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Mark Sterne

Re: error during upgrade of PostgreSQL

PostThu May 11, 2017 1:01 am

Thank you, Dwaine, your assistance is greatly appreciated, as always!

Return to DaVinci Resolve