v14 missing...expectations

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kolja georges

v14 missing...expectations

PostWed May 10, 2017 5:23 pm

So an editor may not need to grade and design audio, there are Colorist and Audio designer to do this job. but An editor definitely needs to ad titles, crawl and scroll.

Resolve is missing a decent title generator to be competitor as an nle with different software.

We as Editor need to be able to use multiple fonts with multiple sizes,
we need to be able to add a still graphic inside a roll or crawl.

An editor may need to drag a shot from a viewer back to the bin or different bin after marking it for later use.

The match frame tool is still sluggish , it should be working on the selected shot not on a selected track...

When we double click a shot in the timeline, we need to be able to drag it back to a different place on the timeline .

There are lots of cool and advanced new features and plugins. there are many addition in the new version, but the above are basic in any nle, we hope the developers team take them into consideration if they want a competitive nle ...

if all this task can be done under the roof of one software that is great, any addition is great but give us all the basics. thank you BMD support and developers.
Georges Kolja

Robert James

Re: v14 missing...expectations

PostWed May 10, 2017 7:46 pm

Can't argue with that. I suspect over time these area's will improve. Basic audio was a huge problem in 12.5.5, now it has the potential to be extremely powerful.

Time my friend time.. :D
Resolve Studio 14.1
Windows 10 Fall Creator Update
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD 1800x 4Ghz 32GB RAM
M.2 System Drive, M.2 Media Drive (All other drives SSDs)
ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G VC

Andreas Schwarz

PostThu May 11, 2017 5:44 am

..I think for Resolve 14 the BMD TEam has focused on the right features to add...for a Resolve 14 update, I wish they will focus on the "smaller" things....title generator, editing features and maybe some audio effects, render pre-calculation etc....but for 14, I am more than happy about the changes :)

Kolja georges

PostThu May 11, 2017 9:47 am

Yes as a colorist i am very happy for the updates, yet Resolve is not a grading software any more , BMD are pushing it to be an advanced Nle and a finishing tool as well, for this reason and as editors we need to push developers help us make the choice and adapt it as our main Nle. so i edit in Resolve and build my titles inside adobe Photoshop and Premiere , it doesn't make sense...
it is always the small details that makes the difference
Last edited by Kolja georges on Thu May 11, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georges Kolja

Marc Wielage

PostThu May 11, 2017 12:31 pm

I'd like to see a full-blown Paint tool provided for fixes, like cloning backgrounds and removing unwanted details. This is doable and already available in several rival color-correction programs.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Kolja georges

PostThu May 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:I'd like to see a full-blown Paint tool provided for fixes, like cloning backgrounds and removing unwanted details. This is doable and already available in several rival color-correction programs.

yes I d like that to. but this would be like a fancy dessert, we are still asking for the main course ;).
the fact is you may not need to retouch or clone in every project, but titling and editing twists are a must in 99% of projects,
Last edited by Kolja georges on Thu May 11, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georges Kolja

Dermot Shane

PostThu May 11, 2017 2:24 pm

there's a number of titleing tools options in OFX, BCC, NewBlue, HitFilm are plugins i have that have a titler, there maybe more out there

that said, i don't use them, instead i finish, fix & title in DS, it has the best paint system out there

David Galindo

PostThu May 11, 2017 2:41 pm

I am using Fusion 8 to create my titles with effects, and import them into Davinci. Only drawback is the learning curve. Not as easy as the other title generators.
R3F x58 Board | Xeon 5675 | AMD XFX 390x | 48GB RAM

Sam Steti

PostThu May 11, 2017 3:16 pm

I can understand what the OP is begging for, which is quite normal at the end of the day...

I've personally adopted a way which leads me to make titles in another dedicated software anyway, but I would indeed appreciate not to be forced to open it for basic stuff.
Therefore just a few more options are missing and some existing others are weird, like this one :
An editor may need to drag a shot from a viewer back to the bin or different bin after marking it for later use.
Yes, this one is really disappointing. The workaround to add a pattern to a power bin is a waste of time actually.
we need to be able to add a still graphic inside a roll or crawl.
Of course we do.
If this was available + more options for fonts, sizes and tuning tweaks, it would yet be a lot better and enough for basic titles...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve