dongle

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

FrankApollonio

dongle

PostWed May 10, 2017 10:18 pm

can't we have a way to get rid of the dongle for previous owners? i really hate having that thing take up a usb port not to mention keeping it around.

Suhaib Siddiqi

Re: dongle

PostWed May 10, 2017 10:24 pm

I guess not. I communicated with US Tech Support. According to them, no plan to remove dongle for the Studio version.

Micha Clazing

PostThu May 11, 2017 12:24 am

I'm sure there will be people eager to hoover up dongles, myself included. I own one and if they're not going to be made in the future any more I'd like a second one. It's funny when you've never worked with dongle software before it seems like an outlandish concept, like why the hell would you tie a software licence to something you can physically lose and have to carry around, but I have to say being able to just jump from one PC to another within seconds, just quitting Resolve, taking out the dongle, inserting it in the other system, and launching Resolve there, it sure beats having to mess with serial numbers or needing a separate licence for each PC. I never thought I'd say something like that but here we are. I've already seen a few eBay auctions pop up for dongles for the new reduced price of Resolve, by the way. You could just buy the serial based version and then sell your dongle.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 11, 2017 12:49 am

The license/dongle thing only applies to the Studio version.

So yes, the plan is to get rid of dongles.

Seems like dongles will continue to be usable, if you have one, but the goal is to make them go away.

However, details yet to be finalized.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

FrankApollonio

PostThu May 11, 2017 1:55 am

most people have studio version due to owning so many blackmagic cameras,,.

Micha Clazing

PostThu May 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Seems like dongles will continue to be usable, if you have one, but the goal is to make them go away.

Sad to hear that. If you do choose to phase out dongles entirely and make existing dongles unusable, may I suggest the following:

- Allow multiple systems to register the same key
- At runtime, check in online to mark the key as "in use"
- If two systems check in with the same key, deny the latest check-in with the error "key already in use"
- Implement a "go offline" feature that indefinitely marks the key "in use" so the system can go offline

This way you get the same flexibility as with a dongle. Being able to nimbly jump between workstations (especially now that Resolve is an NLE, grading tool, and DAW) is a huge part of Resolve's appeal imho.

Thani Almuhairi

PostThu May 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Micha Clazing wrote:
Dwaine Maggart wrote:Seems like dongles will continue to be usable, if you have one, but the goal is to make them go away.

Sad to hear that. If you do choose to phase out dongles entirely and make existing dongles unusable, may I suggest the following:

- Allow multiple systems to register the same key
- At runtime, check in online to mark the key as "in use"
- If two systems check in with the same key, deny the latest check-in with the error "key already in use"
- Implement a "go offline" feature that indefinitely marks the key "in use" so the system can go offline

This way you get the same flexibility as with a dongle. Being able to nimbly jump between workstations (especially now that Resolve is an NLE, grading tool, and DAW) is a huge part of Resolve's appeal imho.

+1 Well said Micha. Great thinking :) And Very good functional specification indeed.
Regards,
Thani Almuhairi

JPOwens

PostThu May 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Thani Almuhairi wrote:same flexibility as with a dongle.

All of these suggestions pre-suppose some communication between the workstation to be authorized, other workstations on the same network, and the internet. This suggests it would work a bit like the old FCP7 license -- the loophole there was that you could run multiple instances of the same FCP license if the workstations were hidden from each other -- off the W/LAN and www. Its a real can of worms, especially for those of us who now own a number of keys.

jPo, CSI

Andreas Schwarz

PostThu May 11, 2017 3:14 pm

...the only problem would be, if someone uses an unlegal key, it might be that you cant log in with your regular key...I dont recommend that system...

Micha Clazing

PostThu May 11, 2017 3:28 pm

JPOwens wrote:the loophole there was that you could run multiple instances of the same FCP license if the workstations were hidden from each other -- off the W/LAN and www.

That wouldn't work here; the first workstation to "go offline" gets the key, and any subsequent attempts to go offline would require the first workstation to go back online to release the key.

JPOwens wrote:Its a real can of worms, especially for those of us who now own a number of keys.

I agree, and I would still prefer the dongles to stay a valid option. Maybe even sell keys for $299 and dongles for $399 or something. Give people options.

Return to DaVinci Resolve