Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion- Save File w/Correct Gamma

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Mark Frankmann

Fusion- Save File w/Correct Gamma

PostSun May 07, 2017 8:28 pm

I am brand new to Fusion. I work as an arch viz person using 3DS Max and Vray. I have imported a render from vray which is an .exr file.

Per a video tutorial I added an Filmic Tone Mapper node, an OCIO Colors node and a saver node. I make the adjustments tot he tone mapper and the image looks as it should in the Fusion preview pane.

When I render/save and then open in photoshop it is too bright. If I adjust gamma to 0.45 it looks about right. I have tried a bunch of settings in the saver node but cannot seem to figure out how to render/save my image so it opens in photoshop with correct gamma.

any advice or pointing to help/reference will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Mark Frankmann

Re: Fusion- Save File w/Correct Gamma

PostWed May 10, 2017 2:49 pm

I thought to try to better explain my question.

I follow what is termed "linear workflow" in 3DS Max. I render out 16 bit .exr files. In fusion,

I add a Loader and place the my-rendering.exr file in the filename slot. I select the Loader and press key 1 and the file appears in the #1 preview pane. It appears very dark and not correct gamma. I add an OCIOColors node, select that, press key 2 and the file appears just as it should with correct gamma in the #2 preview pane.

I add a Saver node with Output format as OpenEXR. I render the my-rendering-fusioncomp.exr.

When I open the my-rendering-fusioncomp in Photoshop it is way too bright and has th ewrong gamma. I chose image>adjustments>exposure and setting gamma to about 0.5 sems to bring it to the correct appearance.

My question: Is there some settings in the saver node Export tab or elsewhere that I need to enable so that the file saves out of fusion with the correct gamma, the same as it is displayed in the #2 Preview Pane?

Thanks for any help.

Mark Frankmann

PostMon May 15, 2017 3:12 pm

I figured out how to do what I wanted. Thought to post it here in case anyone else may find it helpful.

simple solution. Add another OCIOColors node.

Maybe some explanation/extra info that I did not include originally. The #1 OCIOColors has input "Linear" and output "sRGB".

The #2 OCIOColors reverses that. So input "sRGB" and output "Linear". Than when it renders ot and I open in photoshop it appears as it should, no exposure/gamma adjustment needed

Chad Capeland

PostMon May 15, 2017 4:56 pm

But why? Your Loader was linear, you wanted linear output, and wanted linear input to Photoshop. What was the OCIO supposed to be doing?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Andrew Hazelden

Gamma 1.0 Based Linear Workflows in Fusion

PostMon May 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Mark Frankmann wrote:simple solution. Add another OCIOColors node.

Another option is to keep the footage in linear space all the way from the loader node to the saver node.

The basic workflow is that you can apply a Fusion viewer window based LUT (Look up Table) effect. This means you get to have the viewer windows show you a preview of the footage as gamma 2.2 sRGB content while working interactively but all of the rendered to disk compositing operations preserve the original native gamma 1.0 state of the source footage.

fusion-view-lut-menu.jpg
Fusion Viewer LUT Menu
fusion-view-lut-menu.jpg (408.68 KiB) Viewed 3513 times

If you click and hold down the "LUT" button in the viewer window you can choose from several different LUTs.

You might want to start with exploring the "OCIO Color Space View LUT". When this LUT is active, you can then select the "Edit" button in the LUT menu to open up a settings window where you can change the gamma and Source/Output Space.

It's also worth giving a shout out to Stefan Ihringer's / Comp-Fu's blog posts on LUTs in Fusion:

Linear Gamma Workflow in Fusion - Part 1
Linear Gamma Workflow in Fusion - Part 2
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Return to Fusion