Input Skype call to ATEM 2 M/E Producton 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Larry Masters

Input Skype call to ATEM 2 M/E Producton 4K

PostTue May 16, 2017 7:29 pm

I have an event that needs to take 1 or more Skype calls at a time and bring them through the ATEM so I can route to the livestream and also send to the screens in the venue. I have seen the talk show from NewTek but not sure dropping 8k for the VS-4000 is worth it. Even the VS-100 seems high. Has anyone used either of these? What alternatives can you share that cost less and would have similar features? Even being able to handle 1 incoming connection at a time may be an option., I am waiting for verification from tie event.

Phil Hadfield

Re: Input Skype call to ATEM 2 M/E Producton 4K

PostTue May 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Larry Masters wrote:I have an event that needs to take 1 or more Skype calls at a time and bring them through the ATEM so I can route to the livestream and also send to the screens in the venue. I have seen the talk show from NewTek but not sure dropping 8k for the VS-4000 is worth it. Even the VS-100 seems high. Has anyone used either of these? What alternatives can you share that cost less and would have similar features? Even being able to handle 1 incoming connection at a time may be an option., I am waiting for verification from tie event.

Use a web presenter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil Hadfield

PostTue May 16, 2017 7:35 pm

I have 2 x Newtek boxes. They work very well.

As a remote kit I use the web presenter.

Hire in the 2x newtek boxes for your job. One can hold the call while you dial another guest.

Larry Masters

PostTue May 16, 2017 7:45 pm

How can the web presenter be used to send output from a Skype call to the ATEM? Isn't this a device that would take the ATEM output and send to the computer then send to s skype call or stream?

Jack Fairley

PostTue May 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Larry Masters wrote:How can the web presenter be used to send output from a Skype call to the ATEM? Isn't this a device that would take the ATEM output and send to the computer then send to s skype call or stream?

Yes, I think someone misunderstood the question.

I would either rent hardware for this purpose, or use a scaler/RoI box to grab a window from a PC. Maybe use Xsplit with a Decklink card, application capture the Skype call, then send it out over SDI. Would really not want to go that direction, though.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Phil Hadfield

PostTue May 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Sorry the newtek box has a clean SDI out for imag into the atem.

The web presenter for sdi input to send to the remote sites to get nice images at the main event site.

Rent them if just for one job.

The Skype TX software allows you control many boxes. So you can control many boxes from a control laptop. So you can have multiple connections at once

Larry Masters

PostTue May 16, 2017 11:10 pm

Thanks for the advice, I am going to find a rental company in NYC that carries these.

Xtreemtec

PostWed May 17, 2017 10:53 am

We did it a few times with just skype and a few laptops.. Running skype full screen is not a problem..
The skype logo is.. But if you have a live event you could choose to put a logo in the right upper corner.. Just the right size to go over that skype logo.. Or make a " Live Feed" banner that you just put over that logo.. But hey that is the poor man sollution :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

PostWed May 17, 2017 11:05 am

Daniel.
You can remove the Skype logo in the settings menu.
Under calls you have the possibility to unclick the box show Skype water mark during phone calls.
It´s also good to have a usb audio interface connected to your computer (such as a behringer U-Phoria UM2) to get audio to and from Skype.

Hakan.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Xtreemtec

PostWed May 17, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks Hakan, Didn't know that.. Not really a skype user or fan.. But we had to integrate it to our live feed for that client..

Indeed we had a small usb audio rig connected to it to have talkback to the talent.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Oscar Moreno

PostWed May 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Here's how I did it with an AJA io4K (or any other mixer with 3 or more SDI outputs) running vMix19 4K, and the Atem 2 M/E Production 4K - (No Skype needed):

The ATEM has two full switchers (mix effects 1 & 2) built in so this will come in handy.

Basically you want to send the mix effects 2 PGM (this is where you put your interviewer person) to the vMix machine. Then, in vMix you setup a vmixCall and specify the ATEM input as the video feed to the caller. vMixcall will take care of all the audio.

Now to do the video mixing in the ATEM, you have to send the vMixCaller feed only (not the PGM Out) to the ATEM through one of the two available outputs in vMix. On the ATEM you can do the mixing with mix effects 1.

Larry Masters

PostWed May 17, 2017 5:50 pm

I am not having luck finding any rental companies that carry the Talkshow.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 so audio shouldn't be an issue. Getting the video out of my Mac Pro into the mixer might be one, I have the DeckLink 4K Pro and haven't been able to get it to work as a second monitor. I have the DeckLink Duo 2, haven't tried using this yet but I want to keep this device for recording my PRG out and Aux out.

Jack Fairley

PostWed May 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Larry Masters wrote:I am not having luck finding any rental companies that carry the Talkshow.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 so audio shouldn't be an issue. Getting the video out of my Mac Pro into the mixer might be one, I have the DeckLink 4K Pro and haven't been able to get it to work as a second monitor. I have the DeckLink Duo 2, haven't tried using this yet but I want to keep this device for recording my PRG out and Aux out.

Decklink extended monitor feature was removed a long time ago, I believe.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Linden deCarmo

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 3:23 am

Our church is trying to figure out our options for hooking up conferencing software such as Skype, Hangouts, Teams etc. to our ATEM.

The options discussed in this thread are a few years old. I'm wondering if much has changed regarding solutions for integrating Skype? We would like something that has good picture quality and is simple to operate. What's the retail on the Quicklink TX and how does it compare to the Newtek VS-100?

We have a couple machines running ProPresenter sending their output via SDI to the ATEM ME/1 but I don't want to have to quit ProPresenter in order to show the conferencing session.

Skype for Creators have the option to output NDI which could be fed into ProPresenter which is an alternative we're looking at but it's a multi-step process potentially prone to human error.

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 3:52 am

The Skype TX/Quicklink/Newtek things are absurdly expensive IMO. Unless you are a network broadcast facility I think there are much more affordable options.

We use Intel NUC computers for remote feeds like Skype/Zoom/WebEx, but any computer will do. For every call, you need one computer and 1 input and 1 output from your ATEM, and a few accesories. Our setup all-in was less than $1000. I'm sure you could do better...

The call computer needs to have an output connect to an ATEM input. We use a simple HDMI to SDI converter on the computer HDMI output, and set the computer resolution to match the ATEM. You then optionally need to send return video to the caller. We use an ATEM aux output showing just our host camera, and a USB capture dongle from Magewell to get it into the computer. The dongle shows up as a webcam, so works with all conferencing software we have tried so far.

For audio, we use Dante since our audio console supports it. Running Dante Virtual Soundcard on the call computer gives us caller audio to the audio mixing board, and a return audio feed of just the host mic back to the computer/caller.

We built 4 rigs to do this, and have actually used all 4 simultaneously a few times. Once it's setup works like a charm.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Brett Casadonte

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 4:12 am

Linden deCarmo wrote:Our church is trying to figure out our options for hooking up conferencing software such as Skype, Hangouts, Teams etc. to our ATEM.

The options discussed in this thread are a few years old. I'm wondering if much has changed regarding solutions for integrating Skype? We would like something that has good picture quality and is simple to operate. What's the retail on the Quicklink TX and how does it compare to the Newtek VS-100?

We have a couple machines running ProPresenter sending their output via SDI to the ATEM ME/1 but I don't want to have to quit ProPresenter in order to show the conferencing session.

Skype for Creators have the option to output NDI which could be fed into ProPresenter which is an alternative we're looking at but it's a multi-step process potentially prone to human error.

We use a NewTek Talkshow vs4000 4-channel Skype system, and we’ve been running it for a couple years. It is well designed, reliable, and pretty straight forward to use. It supports 4x SDI in so that you can send different return video feeds back to each caller, and also has 4x SDI out to our ATEM switcher. The SkypeTX software allows you to manage up to 4 concurrent Skype calls on the box. We added a Virtual Soundcard to use Dante to manage the audio mixes to send mix-minus back to each caller as well as send caller audio to our mixer. They run about $7,500 for a new box, but I’ve seen used ones for as low as $4,500 on EBay. The all-in-one 1RU design fits very nicely into our rack and was almost plug-and-play (just had to download and install the Dante Virtual Soundcard software). My only gripe with the system is that the users guide is a bit dated and not particularly thorough. In my opinion, the NewTek systems are reasonably priced and for us they have been worth every penny, especially in time saved from otherwise having to buy / build / configure / operate / maintain / rack / transport multiple computer systems.

PS: They also support NDI if you use NDI as your video transport protocol.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 4:46 pm

$7500 :) NEWTEK :)
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Linden deCarmo

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi Greg,

We're looking into the solution you outlined below, have a couple of follow up questions though.

MambaFiber.com wrote:The call computer needs to have an output connect to an ATEM input. We use a simple HDMI to SDI converter on the computer HDMI output, and set the computer resolution to match the ATEM.

We'll get a Decimator for the output.

MambaFiber.com wrote:You then optionally need to send return video to the caller. We use an ATEM aux output showing just our host camera, and a USB capture dongle from Magewell to get it into the computer. The dongle shows up as a webcam, so works with all conferencing software we have tried so far.

We currently plan on using a Macbook to host the call. It is USB-C only. Does anyone have any recommendations for an external USB-C SDI capture device that works reliably with Macbooks?

MambaFiber.com wrote:For audio, we use Dante since our audio console supports it. Running Dante Virtual Soundcard on the call computer gives us caller audio to the audio mixing board, and a return audio feed of just the host mic back to the computer/caller.

Alas, before the whole virus outbreak happened, transitioning to Dante was on our to do list for 2020 but we haven't done it yet. That would definitely make the process of getting an audio feed to the setup.

Linden deCarmo

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 1:56 pm

Linden deCarmo wrote:Hi Greg,

We're looking into the solution you outlined below, have a couple of follow up questions though.

MambaFiber.com wrote:The call computer needs to have an output connect to an ATEM input. We use a simple HDMI to SDI converter on the computer HDMI output, and set the computer resolution to match the ATEM.

We'll get a Decimator for the output.

MambaFiber.com wrote:You then optionally need to send return video to the caller. We use an ATEM aux output showing just our host camera, and a USB capture dongle from Magewell to get it into the computer. The dongle shows up as a webcam, so works with all conferencing software we have tried so far.

We currently plan on using a Macbook to host the call. It is USB-C only. Does anyone have any recommendations for an external USB-C SDI capture device that works reliably with Macbooks?

Unfortunately, I don't think Magewell have a USB-C solution.

MambaFiber.com wrote:For audio, we use Dante since our audio console supports it. Running Dante Virtual Soundcard on the call computer gives us caller audio to the audio mixing board, and a return audio feed of just the host mic back to the computer/caller.

Alas, before the whole virus outbreak happened, transitioning to Dante was on our to do list for 2020 but we haven't done it yet. That would definitely make the process of getting an audio feed to the setup.

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 6:59 pm

We are using a $35 HDMI to SDI Converter and forcing the computer to run the right rez/rate for the ATEM. Much cheaper option *IF* you can get your computer to play with it. However, you cannot go wrong with a Decimator, pretty much guaranteed to work with that if you set it up correctly. Love those things.

All of our capture dongle things (Magewell) are native USB-A, and all work fine on our USB-C/TB3 computers with adapters. We like the Anker dongle that plug into USB-C, and have ethernet/hdmi/3x USB-A. Keeps us connected to just about everything. :-) We use the Anker with both MacBook Pros, Dell XPS laptops, and of course our Inter NUCs. You could conceivably connect everything for Skype into this and have a one-stop connection to your computer.

If you aren't Dante yet, no worries. There are many options of USB audio interfaces that will do the deed instead. ARX makes a really simple box called the USB-3 that doesn't even need any drivers-it. just. works. You *can* use the headphone output from the computer for the caller audio (I don't recommend this), but return audio usually needs a line level input on your computer, and almost every computer I play with doesn't have that natively.

Once you get it all connected and setup, this works really well. We leave our 4 systems built to do this. Video in, video out, network cable-done. Launch our conference program of choice (they each have their own accounts setup on several services) and away we go. Out of the travel case to online with a call in just a few minutes.

You know, with the current demand for this kind of thing, I should package this in a 1RU with a power cord and USB-C connector. I could even sell it for big bux like Newtek/Skype TX. hmmmm...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Linden deCarmo

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 11:49 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:All of our capture dongle things (Magewell) are native USB-A, and all work fine on our USB-C/TB3 computers with adapters.

Do you like the Magewell better than BlackMagic solutions or are they just more cost effective?

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 1:20 am

Linden deCarmo wrote:Do you like the Magewell better than BlackMagic solutions or are they just more cost effective?

Well both actually. :D

We wanted something that showed as a UVC device to the computer. BMD's only offering at the time was the Web Presenter at $495. It only encodes at 720p. The new ATEM mini models are UVC and encode 1080 but no SDI input - good luck getting your hands on one before this summer.

The Magewell encodes 720 and 1080 and is $300. They have a 4k version as well, BMD doesn't even offer this. Kind of a no brainer for us, we couldn't be happier with them.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Brett Casadonte

PostSun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 am

Roman Pytkin Pekarek wrote:$7500 :) NEWTEK :)

Yea, I know... its the only NewTek piece of hardware in our production workflow... it’s also the only PC, since the rest of our production systems and flypacks are all Mac-based.

Have to say though, its worked beautifully for our productions and has paid for itself many times over.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Perry Lawrence

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 12:35 am

Linden deCarmo wrote:Our church is trying to figure out our options for hooking up conferencing software such as Skype, Hangouts, Teams etc. to our ATEM.

The options discussed in this thread are a few years old. I'm wondering if much has changed regarding solutions for integrating Skype?

So here is our approach using Zoom Webinar:

1) ATEM Studio Pro HD (or whatever it's called - any ATEM switcher will do)
2) Camera 1 is host (with lav audio)
3) Camera 2 is second angle of host
4) Camera 3 is PPT presentation (with embeded audio)
5) Output routed through Web Presenter
6) AUX routed to confidence monitor/screens
7) In Zoom - camera and mic set to BM Web Presenter
8) Guests are Panelists in Zoom
9) Set to Gallery View
10) Hide non video participants
11) Background music coming in on Mic in of ATEM Switcher.

So in Zoom, when the host is only camera on, he is full screen and we are switching between the 2 cameras and PPT. When we invite a panelist to turn on their video, Zoom goes to 2 up, three up or 8 up depending on how many people you want.

IFB to host is audio output of Zoom computer.
Zoom audio out is Mix Minus so any audio we are feeding Zoom (background music, PPT videos) is not getting to the IFB (Panelists are getting to IFB just fine). So I had to rig an IFB mixer to reintroduce the background music computer's audio as well as the PPT audio.

Other than the IFB issues it's pretty straight forward.

Recording to cloud via Zoom and backup to Hyperdeck.

I have an ATEM MIni Pro on order so that will remove the Web Presenter from the mix as well as the hyperdeck.

If I was dealing with only 1 guest at a time, I would probably use Skype NDI on a computer running OBS as a source into the Switcher which would give you much more control than Zoom gallery view, and easier to manage.

Hope this helps.
Perry Lawrence
StreamingProphets.com

Return to Live Production