Three Ultrastudio Mini Recorders

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Joe Nudi

Three Ultrastudio Mini Recorders

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 6:16 am

Hi folks,

I have three Ultrastudio Mini Recorders. When I use any two of them independently with a single computer, everything works fine. However, when I try to run all 3 at the same time, the last recorder plugged in does not go active (the light on the mini recorder stays off). When any one of the powered recorders is unplugged, the recorder that was not getting power suddenly goes active.

Is this a limitation on the number of mini recorders usable? Is this a software limitation or a hardware limitation?

I'm using a late 2016 Macbook Pro which only has 4 USB-C ports with Thunderbolt Mini Recorders using thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapters.

I've seen videos that show people using a shuttle in place of the third mini recorder, but I previously thought that this was due to a lack of thunderbolt ports. Maybe this wasn't the case?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Joe

InyangEffiong

Re: Three Ultrastudio Mini Recorders

PostThu May 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Hello Joe,
Sadly, I do not have any answer for your query but rather a question for you.

What specific adapter are you using to connect the UltraStudio Mini Recorder to the MacBook Pro USB C port?

Thanks in advance.

InyangEffiong

PostThu May 18, 2017 7:59 pm

The beauty of asking questions - it makes you to actually think!
I have a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter I bought to connect my MacBook Pro to my Cinema Display, it did not work for that but it is the correct adapter for connecting the UltraStudio Mini to the MacBook Pro.

Brought out and tested ok!

John Barker

PostSun May 21, 2017 7:31 am

Hey! I believe I've read multiple people with the same issues as this, and from what I hear it comes down to a hardware limitation where only two devices will work at the same time.

I'm not sure who has set that limitation, or if it can be fixed, but I believe that you will only be able to use two devices at once when using the 2016 MacBook!

If I do see a solution somewhere I'll let you know.
John Barker
heretorecord.com

Return to Getting Started