Newbie questions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Karl Lautman

Newbie questions

PostTue May 16, 2017 4:12 am

I'm evaluating Resolve 14 (public beta) as a replacement for Premiere Pro CS5 on Windows 10. I'm browsing the manual while editing a test project and haven't found answers to the following questions:

1. I don't recall being asked by Resolve where I want various things placed during installation, but I've found my disk db on my C: drive. Is it possible to move it?

2. I have two displays and have set up Resolve in dual screen mode, but it looks like all that allows is placing the timeline and viewers on one display and everything else on the other. Is it possible to dedicate one of the displays to one of the viewers?

3. Why does the timecode for my new project start at 1:00:00:00 instead of 0? How can I change it?

4. Any recommendations for Resolve 14-specific tutorials? Is it too soon, or are earlier ones (e.g. Resolve 12) adequate for a noob? I've found Goat's Eye View.

Thanks for your help.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Newbie questions

PostFri May 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Karl Lautman wrote:I'm evaluating Resolve 14 (public beta) as a replacement for Premiere Pro CS5 on Windows 10. I'm browsing the manual while editing a test project and haven't found answers to the following questions:

1. I don't recall being asked by Resolve where I want various things placed during installation, but I've found my disk db on my C: drive. Is it possible to move it?

2. I have two displays and have set up Resolve in dual screen mode, but it looks like all that allows is placing the timeline and viewers on one display and everything else on the other. Is it possible to dedicate one of the displays to one of the viewers?

3. Why does the timecode for my new project start at 1:00:00:00 instead of 0? How can I change it?

4. Any recommendations for Resolve 14-specific tutorials? Is it too soon, or are earlier ones (e.g. Resolve 12) adequate for a noob? I've found Goat's Eye View.

Thanks for your help.

1) that is the standard for resolve, I dont know if you can move it but I dont think so
2) no, resolve require an exrternal display for colro accuracy with a BM card.
3) because in the post production world, that is pretty much a standard
4) look at: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54139
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

John Paines

PostFri May 19, 2017 4:34 pm

1) The default db ("Local Database") goes to the system drive, but you don't have to use it -- you can create and locate a disk-based database wherever you want. But be warned, database management isn't fully implemented in the beta. Refer to the 12.5 manual and 12.5.5, if you want to go this route. You could also use the OS to create another db, in either the beta or 12.5.5, but that's for another day....

3) You can change your starting timecode to whatever value you want, if you insist. Right click a timeline in the Media Pool for the option.

JPOwens

PostFri May 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Karl Lautman wrote:3. Why does the timecode for my new project start at 1:00:00:00 instead of 0?

Start code at 01 hour is consistent with broadcast protocol for program delivery. Some networks specify 10 HR.

00 hour is an even worse choice, and is a very newbie mistake.

I commonly re-establish my sequence start code at 00:58:30:00, or 00:58:30;00 for that matter to allow for all the leader requirements that most distributor deliverables call for. 60 seconds bars and tone, slate, countdown...

jPo, CSI

Marc Wielage

PostSat May 20, 2017 7:05 am

Karl Lautman wrote:3. Why does the timecode for my new project start at 1:00:00:00 instead of 0? How can I change it?

You can change it by going to the Edit page, right-clicking on the Timeline name on the far left column, and choose "Starting Timecode." It's not a bad feature request that they could put a Pref in the Project Settings to "Start New Timelines at Timecode 00:59:00:00" or whatever you want, and that way every new timeline would have that setting.

What I do as a cheap workaround (and I have a lot of those) is I just have some dummy projects I use as templates that are already setup, and the timecodes for several timelines are already set. I save these projects with the new project name, import the source material, and I'm ready to go. If I'm conforming a client's project, then I go with their timecode unless they started at "00:00:00:00" (which is against the Law of Post), and I start it at 1:00:00:00. Like JPo, I usually provide a little bit of bars and tone and slate, just out of the old tape-days tradition, but I keep it very short for digital projects, maybe a couple of seconds or so. I also provide a brief digital countdown just because of working in film for so long.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve