ATEM TVS & HDMI to SDI convertor

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Bob Naik

ATEM TVS & HDMI to SDI convertor

PostThu May 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Greetings all,
I'm hoping someone can help me.
I have the original ATEM (no buttons or display).
When I connect my Canon XA25 via HDSDI everything is great.
When I connect my Canon XA10 via HDMI everything is great.
When I try to connect my XA10 via a BMD HDMI to SDI (Battery Convertor) I get nothing.
When I try to use a KanexPro HDMI Extender Over CAT5e I get nothing.

I have confirmed that the the ATEM SDI ports and SDI cables are working by using my XA25.

I realize that the ATEM can be finicky but I could swear that this setup used to work in the past (XA10 > HDMI to SDI > ATEM)

Does anyone have an idea what I'm missing?

Thank you in advance.

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM TVS & HDMI to SDI convertor

PostThu May 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Your XA 10 and edid issues with the Battery converter..

Probabbly the battery converter tells the camera to go into a different resolution.. Which then does not corspond with the atem resolution.. Same for the hdmi extenders.. Most of them don't work with the atems..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Bob Naik

PostThu May 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Your XA 10 and edid issues with the Battery converter..

Probabbly the battery converter tells the camera to go into a different resolution.. Which then does not corspond with the atem resolution.. Same for the hdmi extenders.. Most of them don't work with the atems..

It doesn't surprise me that the HDMI extender doesn't work considering how picky the ATEM is but the HDMI to SDI convertor is also a BMD product which surprises me.
Also, I'm not too sure how it would feel the camera to change resolutions.

Bob Naik

PostThu May 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Yet thank you for your rapid response.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu May 18, 2017 10:48 pm

The HDMI to SDI Battery Converter supports 1080p50 and 1080p60 signals, but the ATEM Television Studio (original version) only supports up to 1080i50/60. So if the camera sends a 1080p50/60 signal, the HDMI to SDI Battery Converter will handle it and convert it just fine, but the ATEM TVS won't be able to recognize it.

I think on the Canon XA10 there is an option in the menu labeled HDMI 1080p Output. If you set this to OFF, you may be able to get the camera to output a 1080i signal.

Xtreemtec

PostFri May 19, 2017 9:00 am

Ah right Dave.. I overlooked the original atem part.. But i know from back in the days a lot of people had issues with the battery converters as they went is A resolution.. But often not the resolution or framerate you needed for your atem..

That is why we stopped using BMD HDMI / sdi converters and went for scaling converters. These can be set to a fixed output resolution and will manage the source to go to that resolution or otherwise scale it to fit for your atem.. :D
Productions are way more relaxed knowing you don't have to deal and thinker with this sort of issues like laptops with different framerates, cameras with different output.. :D

The only thing i miss is a MD-HX like box from BMD.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Bob Naik

PostSat May 20, 2017 6:38 am

Thanks a bunch guys.
I'll try the camera output settings first but if that doesn't work I might have a Decimator box in my future.

Return to Live Production