Resolve 12.5 Studio text tracking glitch

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Tempany

Resolve 12.5 Studio text tracking glitch

PostFri May 19, 2017 5:09 am

As a relative newbie to Resolve apologies if this is answered elsewhere - haven't managed to find an exact post about this if it's there....

We're rendering out a 5-minute 1080p 50fps music video with 2x Text clips in it. Every Render one of the 2 Text clips changes (randomly) its text tracking (character spacing) and we don't know why (the other Text clip remains fine every time).

When we check the Rendered output and see the title in question has either squashed the characters together, or alternatively Rendered them out as widely spaced characters - we go back into Resolve, reset the Text Tracking using the slider to what we want, re-lock that Video track and re-Render the movie. But then one time it may Render correctly as-set, but then another time the characters in this Text clip have squashed together again, or spaced themselves out?

Sometimes when we re-open the project in Resolve the Text Tracking has changed from how we saved and left it in the Project last time?

We've tried just deleting the Text clip in question and inserting a new one with the Text Tracking we want, but the same irregularity keeps happening.

Seems there must be either a glitch or we're missing something obvious in the Text clip settings to permanently set the character spacing (Text Tracking) where we want it?

Any suggestions or directions warmly received as this annoying little glitch is holding up an otherwise "Done" job (we just need the Text to Render how it shows it's set and how it views in Resolve)!
Resolve 14 Studio since 2016 from the edge of The Outback!
Windows 7 Pro on Intel Core i7-5960X CPU @ 3.00GHz
32GB RAM 64-bit OS

Marc Wielage

Re: Resolve 12.5 Studio text tracking glitch

PostSat May 20, 2017 7:11 am

Yes, I have seen Text Tracking and Font Sizes change kind of unpredictably before. I think it's a bug.

One workaround would be to save the text as a Compound Clip, or you could grab it as a still and reimport it as a TIFF, or create the graphic in a standalone program like Photoshop or Illustrator, then import that in whatever graphic format you want and key it in Resolve. The Titling tools in Resolve are fragile at the moment.

I have also seen cases where other programs like MS Word and even TextEdit (under Mac OSX) can find all the system fonts, but Resolve misses certain fonts -- in my cases, some esoteric Adobe Helvetica Neue fonts. I dunno what problem Resolve has with them; it just doesn't work.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mark Tempany

Re: Resolve 12.5 Studio text tracking glitch

PostSat May 20, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks so much Marc,

Yes we've decided today to replace the troublesome Text clip with a transparent still title from Photoshop (.PNG) in order to get the otherwise complete Project Rendered.

Certainly a glitchy one as the Text clip we have next door to the flawed one hasn't missed a beat while its neighbour has decided to change Tracking virtually every time we look at it.

Like you say - must be some sort of inconsistency applying only to certain fonts (the troublesome one is more complex than the non-troublesome one).

Thanks for alerting us to the "missed font" issue too, we'll keep that in-mind.

Kind regards,
Mark Tempany
Resolve 14 Studio since 2016 from the edge of The Outback!
Windows 7 Pro on Intel Core i7-5960X CPU @ 3.00GHz
32GB RAM 64-bit OS

Return to DaVinci Resolve