Capture Cards, Wirecast, and Cameras.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MaxBlack

Capture Cards, Wirecast, and Cameras.

PostTue May 16, 2017 2:49 am

Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm opening up a new recording studio in Toronto and would like to offer my clients a range of services including live streaming of concerts and promo material with professional video/audio. I'm new to this so please explain in laymans terms if you feel so inclined as to post a reply.

It seems like Wirecast by Telestream is my best bet for broadcasting software but I would like the ability to use whatever camera's I have available to live stream to facebook and other social platforms. In this case, it's a couple Go Pro Hero 5's to get us started with in-studio live streams.

So here are my questions:

1) Are any of the capture cards here compatible with Go Pro 5's?

2) What would be the best kind of capture card to look into here for taking signal from a couple of Go-Pro hero 5's simultaneously - or would I need a separate capture card for each camera?

3) Is it as easy as plugging said cameras into the capture card(s) and selecting the cards as the input device in the Wirecast drop down menu - or is there additional software to purchase to allow the capture cards to interface with Wirecast?

Any help is much appreciated!

Jack Fairley

Re: Capture Cards, Wirecast, and Cameras.

PostTue May 16, 2017 4:51 pm

1: Yes
2: You can either use a card that supports multiple inputs, like the Duo or Quad, or individual cards. You will have to convert to SDI to use those, but that may be required anyway because of cable length.
3: Yes, provided you have a valid signal into the capture card, it's very simple to set up.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Markus Leodolter

PostTue May 16, 2017 9:27 pm

If you need to Bus the Camera, have a Look on the Marshall cameras, the already have sdi an manual white Balance and are in the Same Price Range.

Xtreemtec

PostWed May 17, 2017 11:07 am

Gopro's tend to overheat when used as live video source.. Had 2 gopro's die on me some time ago as they didn't survive the first 48 hours of a live streaming event due to overheating while on usb power...

So marshall or other camera with decent video output would be better.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Reginald Richardson

PostWed May 17, 2017 2:32 pm

i have been a Wirecast fan for years..
Started using it as my main switcher, then move on to the ATEM TVS, however i still used Wirecast as my playback source....
In the last few weeks i have been testing vMix, and i must say, it has way more features that WC and for around the same price, give it a demo trial for 60days and then make your choice.

GoPros's has come a long way, and sometimes i feel getting the to work properly is not so easy...go for Marshal...
VidMedia Solutions
ATEM-TVS | ATEM 1 M/E | BMD Mini-Recorder | BMD Smart Duo | BMD Decklink Mini Recorder | BMD MicroConv SDI to HDMI

Jay Archibald

PostMon May 22, 2017 8:21 pm

I just got done setting up a DeckLink Duo 2 with Marshall cameras and I have 2 things to add.

The CV-150 M and CV-150 CSB do not work with the DeckLink Duo 2 at 60fps or 59.95fps, respectively. I upgraded to the CV-502 MB and I have a great signal.

The 2nd thing I want to add is check out the spec differences between recording on a GoPro and feeding a live signal on a GoPro. A monitor out with the HDMI is usually half the advertised framerate for recording.

OK, the 3rd, get some shock absorbing sorbothane from Edmund Optics.

Return to Live Production