Software for Lossless Capture of HD Video and 5.1 Audio

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Pat Samson

Software for Lossless Capture of HD Video and 5.1 Audio

PostMon May 22, 2017 4:02 pm

I'm trying to capture 720p-1080p60 video + 5.1 audio coming out of a DVR via HDMI. All of the Blackmagic and DeckLink models "support 8 channel HDMI audio". Using an HDMI audio injector, I could insert the 6 channels of 5.1 audio, BUT I cannot find any capture software that will LOSSLESSLY capture the video AND 5.1 sound. When using a Magewell capture card (which also supports 8ch HDMI audio) with OBS or Virtual Dub and lossless codecs, only 2 of the 6 channels are allowed through by the SOFTWARE to be recorded, even though the card itself passes all 6 ch through to the software. Does anyone know of any AV capture software that will losslessly record both HD video AND 5.1 audio from an HDMI input when using Blackmagic or DeckLink capture cards? :roll: :?: :roll:

Pat Samson

Re: Software for Lossless Capture of HD Video and 5.1 Audio

PostTue May 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Has anyone here tried losslessly capturing HDMI video + 5.1 audio using any of the Blackmagic or DeckLink capture cards? :?: :)

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 23, 2017 6:38 pm

What kind of DVR are we talking here about?? I guess your not talking about security DVR's so it should be a Set top box DVR?? Realise that those DVR's have HDCP which will prevent you from even getting video with a decklink card or any other broadcast piece of hardware... ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Pat Samson

PostWed May 24, 2017 1:32 am

Yes, it's a set top box DVR, but let's just say that HDCP is a non-issue. :)

Xtreemtec

PostWed May 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Well if HDCP is a non issue than please talk to the guy in the Live forum.. He has a lot of HDCP issues.. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Pat Samson

PostThu May 25, 2017 6:07 pm

OK, checking to see if my particular device is still available and works on a Mac. :D

In the mean time, has anyone here been able to record uncompressed video + a Dolby Digital AC3 stream via HDMI on any of the low-end or high-end Blackmagic or DeckLink capture cards?

Michael Dech

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 10:57 am

Hi here I also have a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI.
Pat Samson wrote:Using an HDMI audio injector, I could insert the 6 channels of 5.1 audio,

Could you tell me the exact name of this injector to watch it online.
Could you hear multichannel with the Magewell card with this Audio injector? (all 6 channels on, e.g. viewed with lavaudio filter)
Pat Samson wrote:though the card itself passes all 6 ch through to the software.

Thanks
Michael

Return to Getting Started