Building a Resolve Workstation but don't know the process

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Seth Marshall

Building a Resolve Workstation but don't know the process

PostFri May 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi, I feel embarrassed asking such a newbie question. I've only ever used Macs but and am building my first PC. I'm having a horrible time understanding the process in making sure parts are compatible, and I've heard to install certain items (such as a m.3 SSD OS drive) you need to do some software work (bios?) to get things up and running. I am a DoP and feel using and understanding Resolve makes me a better cinematographer - I shoot smaller projects: typically XAVC, 4k, 4:2:2, or better.

How on earth do those out there who've built their own PCs know what to do?! Luckily I received some very generous help from a member but after not hearing from him in some time I'm afraid I've taken too much of his time. We have picked out the following components, but I need confirmation they will all work correctly together - http://imgur.com/a/rm40W . (I may upgrade the video card from 1080 to 1080 Ti if you all recommend that.

Because I'm on a limited budget I'm also trying to save money on SSDs and had asked a question in another thread that I could some advice on -- it's the last comment viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59342

I currently have (2) old HD displays (a Dell and an ASUS) which I'm sure aren't great. All my research seems to indicate don't buy an affordable 4k display because color accuracy is off. Is it correct to assume I need a DeskLink Mini monitor 4k (for future 4k display compatibility, and/or for my current 4k footage)? Any advice on my monitor needs? Being a DP I do own some good small field monitors 5" & 7" which I could SDI into.

Thank you so much for allowing me to take your time to read and consider this.
Seth

Xtreemtec

Re: Building a Resolve Workstation but don't know the proces

PostSat May 20, 2017 5:17 pm

First of.. Start with reading the DaVinci Resolve 12 Configuration Guide.. They talk about what hardware is needed to run resolve.. Minium spec's.. optimum specs which hardware.. etc..

Then as you have no experience in building a pc.. Find someone close to you which can help you.. Some IT guy.. Some smart gamer kid in the neighbourhood..

Trouble shooting by the forum for a bios setting or why a driver is not installed is very hard.. Someone with experience of building 2 or 3 pc's allready have a lot of knowlage about how to go without to many issues..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ian MacLean

PostTue May 23, 2017 10:57 pm

I have a few suggestions as I just went through this but have had a hard time getting comfortable with Linux. But I built a dual boot (OpenSuse Leap / Win 10) PC, and got the dual boot working.

First advice would be to subscribe to the BuildaPC subreddit. (There's an especially useful daily thread called SimpleQuestions you can post to):
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

They will likely direct you to https://pcpartpicker.com/, an incredibly wonderful website that will let you build all the parts for a PC while telling you what is compatible and not.

Monitor / colorspace is a deep topic and I'm not even sure after a lot of research I have a good handle on it, but you could start with this thread: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33055. Going from Ultrastudio Mini Monitor via HDMI to a well calibrated flatscreen tv will not be professional color grading, but it'll get you in the ballpark and on a budget. That's what I'm doing... Good luck.
Resolve V 15.2.2007 1 GPU on KDE neon 5.14
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 4.15.0-45-generic
Processors: 12 × Intel® Core™ i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz 64-bit
Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM

Seth Marshall

PostWed May 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks for your replies! I figured it's way to complicated to actually walk me through the process but directing me to places where I can learn the process is very helpful. Much appreciated..

Return to Getting Started