Fairlight and ASIO

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nicola Puddu

Fairlight and ASIO

PostFri May 19, 2017 9:50 am

Hello everyone,

I'm currently testing DR14 b2 on my Windows 10 pc and I'm really satisfied with the new features of the software, moreover, Fairlight is an interesting add-on.
I understand the business of BM of offering Fairlight for free and getting money by selling their control surfaces, but for an enthusiast video/audio editor like me a future ASIO support would be great and much appreciated.

Fingers crossed, happy editing.
Nicola Puddu - Olgiate Olona, Italy

Marcus Goller

Re: Fairlight and ASIO

PostSat May 20, 2017 10:59 am

By choosing "use system audio" (if I am not mistaken) and setting your Windows default audio to your ASIO device, Resolve will also make use of it.
--
CPU: i7-4771
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960

Jason Tackaberry

PostSat May 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Supporting ASIO would mean actually using the ASIO API for low latency audio. IMO supporting ASIO is a prerequisite for any Windows DAW.

But more importantly, it implies being able to map ASIO outputs in the patch bay. Right now in the patch UI for audio outputs I just see a generic Monitor 1-L/Monitor 1-R. I'd like to be able to see all the ASIO outputs like I can in other DAWs.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

Paul Draper

PostSat May 20, 2017 6:53 pm

Jason Tackaberry wrote:Supporting ASIO would mean actually using the ASIO API for low latency audio. IMO supporting ASIO is a prerequisite for any Windows DAW.

But more importantly, it implies being able to map ASIO outputs in the patch bay. Right now in the patch UI for audio outputs I just see a generic Monitor 1-L/Monitor 1-R. I'd like to be able to see all the ASIO outputs like I can in other DAWs.

Yep, totally agree. Is a de facto standard for all DAWs. Related: interested to see what use Resolve 14 makes of the as-yet-to-be-detailed 'Rewire' section of the manual.

KenSullivan

PostSun May 21, 2017 2:57 pm

And I also agree in asking for ASIO support in Resolve.
Win 10., ASRock x370, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 4090.

Andy Mees

PostWed May 24, 2017 1:25 am

Jason Tackaberry wrote:Supporting ASIO would mean actually using the ASIO API for low latency audio. IMO supporting ASIO is a prerequisite for any Windows DAW.

From install notes for the current DR14 beta ... may be pertinent to the perceived issue :
• Support for output audio channel assignment is not currently available

Ben Chase

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 8:33 am

I also vote for ASIO please

Manuel Geissinger

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Yep, I was also hoping for ASIO support at least in the Studio Version. I got quite expensive Audio Hardware here (RME), but using only a few VST Plugins in Resolve on 2 Tracks leads to severe dropouts -> unusable for, going back to Presonus Studio One for mastering audiotracks for the time being.

I really really hope that ASIO will be supported in a future update, Fairlight looks great for the job.

KenSullivan

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 6:59 am

Hey! There is a solution for Win 10 to use ASIO drivers with Davinci Resolve. I found ASIO Bridge, High Fidelity Virtual Cable. It maps your ASIO driver ins and outs to a "Cable input VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable" that gets listed in the Windows Sound Control Panel. You can get 7.1 output if your hardware and ASIO driver allows 8 channels. I tested this with Resolve 16 with a Behringer UMC1820 playing to my 7.1 monitor speaker setup. Here is a link, but you can google. The Audio Bridge costs whatever you choose to donate. Those people seem great.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/
Win 10., ASRock x370, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 4090.

Michel-04

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 11:32 am

Bonjour KenSullivan,
Je suis intéressé par le système mais je voudrais savoir ce qu’il faut commander pour faire de 7.1 j’ai un carte MARIAN Seraph A3 ou j’utilise 8 pistes adat connectées a une table de mixage Yamaha 02R
Un câble virtuel est-il suffisant ou en faut-il 4
Merci pour votre réponse
Michel

Return to DaVinci Resolve