How much would a Pentium G4560 limit editing?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Evan Cox

How much would a Pentium G4560 limit editing?

PostThu May 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Ok, Im building a poor man's budget build (Gaming, coding, and occasional editing), and it would really hurt my budget if I had to get an i5 6500/7500 or Ryzen 5 1500/1600. How much would the Pentium G4560 limit my ability to edit? I would be doing 1080p24 or 720p60 editing at most.

Other specs are as follows:
1x8gb RAM
1TB WD Blue
GTX 1060 3gb/6gb (Depending on price of RAM and HDD)

If I was willing to render overnight, how well would it work?

Mads Johansen

Re: How much would a Pentium G4560 limit editing?

PostSat May 20, 2017 10:02 am

G'day and welcome to the forums.

The easy anser is: It depends.
It depends on what your source material is: If it is h.264/h.265, it will limit you a lot(1)
If it is DNxHR/Prores/h.263, I don't think it will limit you. (2)

You will be severely limited by your amount of ram, much more so than your cpu. Resolve takes at minimum 4 GB of ram + the size of Resolve itself, meaning you are looking at ram usage of 5 to 6 GB.

(1): h.264 and h.265 are highly compressed formats that require a lot of CPU power to decode, meaning that editing in Resolve will be slow (ie making a change and waiting 5-10 seconds for the window to update. _Every_ single time). If you convert to an intermediate codec like (2), you will be limited by your HDD instead, but Resolve will be more responsive.

There is a thread here about the h.264 compression quality of Resolve, I would suggest reading it. The short version is to render to DNxHR and compress via ffmpeg for the best quality. That you can do overnight and get a result.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 Build 7, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 551.86 Studio

Dermot Shane

PostSat May 20, 2017 7:51 pm

i just looked at taskmanager on my machine, it shows 20.3 gig in use at this moment, Resolve is the only thing running - 8 gig seems a bit light

Mark_Rodriquez

PostTue May 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Mads Johansen wrote:
There is a thread here about the h.264 compression quality of Resolve, I would suggest reading it. The short version is to render to DNxHR and compress via ffmpeg for the best quality. That you can do overnight and get a result.

Is that better than just using the built-in optimize media function of resolve???
Windows 10, 64 Bit
i5-13600K
32GB DDR4 Memory
RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB VRAM

Mads Johansen

PostWed May 24, 2017 11:29 am

Mark_Rodriquez wrote:
Mads Johansen wrote:

Is that better than just using the built-in optimize media function of resolve???

They're different things and used in different places in the pipeline.

At the start of the pipeline:
If your source is h.264 you have two options: Either (semi)manually transcode to an edit codec like DNxHQ / DNxHR / Prores / h.263 (so you have your original source and the editable files) and use that OR use the optimize media function (so you have your original source and a cached version of your source in a location determined by Resolve). In effect the result is the same, you get faster editing for more HDD space used.

At the end of the pipeline:
The thread was for the output of Resolve, where the h.264 encoder (at least for 12.5.5) is not the best, so I advocate that you output in DNxHR / Prores and compress to h.264 in ffmpeg.

If any of the words confuse you, please search for the term on google and read the information :)
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 Build 7, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 551.86 Studio

Mark_Rodriquez

PostWed May 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Mads Johansen wrote:
Mark_Rodriquez wrote:
Mads Johansen wrote:

They're different things and used in different places in the pipeline.

At the start of the pipeline:
If your source is h.264 you have two options: Either (semi)manually transcode to an edit codec like DNxHQ / DNxHR / Prores / h.263 (so you have your original source and the editable files) and use that OR use the optimize media function (so you have your original source and a cached version of your source in a location determined by Resolve). In effect the result is the same, you get faster editing for more HDD space used.

At the end of the pipeline:
The thread was for the output of Resolve, where the h.264 encoder (at least for 12.5.5) is not the best, so I advocate that you output in DNxHR / Prores and compress to h.264 in ffmpeg.

If any of the words confuse you, please search for the term on google and read the information :)

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know why I confused the render operation with the editing operation. Working too many hours most likely.

Either way... I need more SSD's apparently.
Windows 10, 64 Bit
i5-13600K
32GB DDR4 Memory
RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB VRAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve