7 Inch Displays

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MartinVidic

7 Inch Displays

PostThu May 18, 2017 9:07 pm

I'm looking for a 7 inch display for a mini pro but I'm not sure which one to buy. Of course the first display I thought about was video assist 4K. But Im not sure anymore, because I don't really plan to use it as a recorder.

• Does it only record 4K and display FullHD? When i first read about it, I thought it would display 4K and record anything including 4.6K... ?

Are there any other displays you can recommend for the mini pro. I don't really plan to use it as a recorder, however, touch functionality using the BMD menu would be nice but not necessary.

KRBrooks

Re: 7 Inch Displays

PostThu May 18, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm working on an independent feature currently shooting with the Mini Pro. We have the 5" video assist. I've read a lot of flack about it but I really enjoyed using it. We haven't used the recording functionality so I can't speak to that but it's a nice little monitor to have.

The 7" display is 1920X1200 and has the ability to record UHD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MartinVidic

PostFri May 19, 2017 2:38 am

KRBrooks wrote:We haven't used the recording functionality so I can't speak to that but it's a nice little monitor to have.

That brings me to another question. So you DONT HAVE to use it as a recorder? You can just use it as a monitor which means that you can access ALL camera settings without restriction? Asking because the video assist doesn't record RAW. So for example; You can change RAW to RAW 3:1 etc (to have the cameras CFast cards record it) ? => exclusively use it as a monitor but do the exact same things you can do on the small display?

Note Suwanchote

PostFri May 19, 2017 2:57 am

I have the Smallhd 702 and tried out the 703.

Also had the 502 for a year but decided that I needed to move up. Long story short, I really enjoy the 7", the extra real estate is beneficial to have and the brightness increase is awesome.

Sometimes that go on sale for $1K new on BHphoto or such.

In addition, there's this that just got announced:
http://oseedirect.com/hcm700.html

Ultimately both those have brighter displays than the VA but not the ability to record.
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

KRBrooks

PostFri May 19, 2017 3:02 am

MartinVidic wrote:
KRBrooks wrote:We haven't used the recording functionality so I can't speak to that but it's a nice little monitor to have.

That brings me to another question. So you DONT HAVE to use it as a recorder? You can just use it as a monitor which means that you can access ALL camera settings without restriction? Asking because the video assist doesn't record RAW. So for example; You can change RAW to RAW 3:1 etc (to have the cameras CFast cards record it) ? => exclusively use it as a monitor but do the exact same things you can do on the small display?

We primarily use it as a monitor for the AC to pull focus. Turn on the focus peaking and you're good to go. I may be mistaken but I don't believe you can access camera settings. For example you can't choose between Raw, Pro Res, etc. from the monitor itself. You can turn on things such as focus peaking, frame guides, zebras, etc. though. We record straight to the cFast cards in camera.

Uli Plank

PostFri May 19, 2017 3:23 am

I'd second the VA. For that price it doesn't make much sense to buy just a monitor without the potential for recording. You never know when it comes handy for:
• recording a backup for an irreplaceable scene
• recording a lighter ProRes or DNxHD version for editing
• recording with a LUT baked in for a client that needs it NOW

All these are things your camera can't do. Until further changes in firmware you can't even record DNxHD/HR for clients who are moving away from QT.

And, no, the VA can't control any features in the camera.

There is another option for a few dollars more, but I don't know if I should mention the name here ;-)
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

rick.lang

PostFri May 19, 2017 4:14 am

Note: The OSEE price is going to make waves. SmallHD 503/703 seem to be king of the hill at the moment. Must have been interesting using the 703 outdoors and not have to worry about shading it from the sun. But, a boatload of money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostFri May 19, 2017 5:24 am

Not having tested the 703, but another very bright screen, I'd like to add that these eat batteries for breakfast. Shading might be an option when you are far from energy sources.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

rick.lang

PostFri May 19, 2017 10:49 am

Good point, Uli. Prudent to turn down their brightness when feasible.

Rick Lang

MartinVidic

PostTue May 23, 2017 2:18 pm

I think im going with the MustHD 702S. Its cheap ($350), full HD and has SDI and a sun hood. Of course the video assist is better with the recording options. but I will probably keep the mustHD a few month and then change to something more expensive.

BTW, THIS HERE> looked really really interesting:
https://www.came-tv.com/collections/cam ... st-monitor
Closest thing I could find to the original URSA screen - but actually shows 4K resolution.

If anybody knows something similar to the MUST HD 702 SDI in that price range, please let me know. looking for a temporary, cheap solution.

rick.lang

PostTue May 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Nice find Martin, but the UHD item is Sold Out! I wonder why? Maybe there's a brighter version coming. 400 requires a well-shaded video village.

Rick Lang

MartinVidic

PostTue May 23, 2017 5:05 pm

I found the same screen without the CAME-TV logo on alibaba.com
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 0.0.2lNhVa
They say 440$ per unit + 60 shipping + around 120 customs.
But it's out of stock there too.

And yes... 400 is a bit low. the one im probably going to buy is 450 only.
And idea what the 10 inch display of the original ursa was?

rick.lang

PostWed May 24, 2017 4:09 am

No, sorry, don't know, but someone else may chime in.

Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostWed May 24, 2017 4:22 am

Not much in daylight either.
To really make a difference, you'll want a HDR display with more than 1,000 nit.

Note Suwanchote

PostWed May 24, 2017 4:43 am

rick.lang wrote:Note: The OSEE price is going to make waves. SmallHD 503/703 seem to be king of the hill at the moment. Must have been interesting using the 703 outdoors and not have to worry about shading it from the sun. But, a boatload of money.

Yep!

The 503/703 brightness was amazing and the image quality was excellent.
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

MartinVidic

PostWed May 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Yes, with 1100 nit, the OSEE is probably the best option. half as expensive than the smallHD Bright.
But what's the SD card slot for?
It still has pre-order status. Any idea how much longer?
And 2 more mounting holes on the sides would be nice, but ok, that's not a deal breaker.

MartinVidic

PostWed May 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Here is another idea.
• Used Atomos ninja flame for 500$
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 00mah.html

Total 650$
So i get 7 inch + recording options (which i will not need, but nice to have) with 1500nit
Good or bad idea... not sure about too many cables hanging around

rick.lang

7 Inch Displays

PostSun May 28, 2017 2:58 am

Note Suwanchote wrote:... The 503/703 brightness was amazing and the image quality was excellent.

A picture is worth a lot ,ore than a thousand words sometimes. I could of used this in today's shoot in very bright sun. Had my eye glued to the BM Viewfinder since the 5" LCD monitor on the URSA Mini 4.6K couldn't compete with the ambient daylight making some menu changes difficult. With this (after a boatload of money has set sail), I could have at least relaxed and enjoyed the view from the SmallHD 703:

https://twitter.com/d4vemorris/status/8 ... 4946715649

Last edited by rick.lang on Sun May 28, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

MartinVidic

PostSun May 28, 2017 3:48 am

Got the Shogun Flame at the end (from eBay) We have a video in the Bolivian/Chilean desert lined up soon. And then a few more outdoors in the sun. So I hope the 1500nit will help : )

Return to Cinematography