Resolve 14 Release?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Merano Winterstein

Resolve 14 Release?

PostTue May 30, 2017 11:04 pm

Hello people,
does somebody know when Resolve 14 gets officially released?
I am wondering how long the Beta testing goes!?
Thanks

Robert James

Re: Resolve 14 Release?

PostTue May 30, 2017 11:43 pm

I would suspect that beta testing will be complete once all the major bugs are resolved, and right now there are TONS of them.. :P

EDIT: (Example)
That fantastic Fairlight tab with all that incredible functionality for multi-track audio, is almost useless; as it stand right now you can't get it out of Resolve. :( (The delivery page needs updating to make use of it.

I can't imagine them releasing beta without that functionality, but then again I've seen stranger things. :ugeek:
Resolve Studio 14.1
Windows 10 Fall Creator Update
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD 1800x 4Ghz 32GB RAM
M.2 System Drive, M.2 Media Drive (All other drives SSDs)
ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G VC

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 31, 2017 1:31 am

If I was a betting man, I'd guess July. Whether that's July 1 or July 31, I dunno, but I'm guessing a golden master version of 14.0 will be out in 6-8 weeks, if BMD sticks with their past release patterns.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 31, 2017 2:01 am

Robert James wrote:I would suspect that beta testing will be complete once all the major bugs are resolved, and right now there are TONS of them.. :P

EDIT: (Example)
That fantastic Fairlight tab with all that incredible functionality for multi-track audio, is almost useless; as it stand right now you can't get it out of Resolve. :( (The delivery page needs updating to make use of it.

I can't imagine them releasing beta without that functionality, but then again I've seen stranger things. :ugeek:

Hi Robert,

We are going to have support on the Deliver page to let you render multiple tracks of audio, with option to choose a bus for each track. You will also have an option to pass-through audio from a Track if you have pre-mixed audio you just want to lay-off.

Regards,
Rohit
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Cary Knoop

PostWed May 31, 2017 3:06 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:
Robert James wrote:We are going to have support on the Deliver page to let you render multiple tracks of audio, with option to choose a bus for each track. You will also have an option to pass-through audio from a Track if you have pre-mixed audio you just want to lay-off.

I am probably old school but beta to me means the stage where a release is more or less feature complete (refinements may take place) and is ready to be tested more broadly. The function of beta is to find bugs (all new development will have bugs that is natural) and if new features stand the trials of real life testing. I would presume BM also has a more focused beta program where selected customers run specific tests for them, I would think especially for the Fairlight integration this is critical.

It seems to me it would be good for BM to have at least one beta release where the product is in fact feature complete.

I think there is no point in rushing things, 12.5 is an excellent product already and especially the Fairlight integration needs to be thoroughly tested before you can tell customers to run this in production.

PeterMoretti

PostWed May 31, 2017 4:10 am

Sorry Cary, but I don't follow this logic. No one is saying that 14 should be used on a live project. Actually they are all saying it shouldn't be, or it is use at your own risk.

12.5 is still there for people to use.

I personally like the fact that BMD is letting the public in on the development as well as bug testing... well as long as we get a stable version in a month or two or three.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Sam Steti

PostWed May 31, 2017 8:31 am

Cary Knoop wrote:I am probably old school but beta to me means the stage where a release is more or less feature complete (refinements may take place) and is ready to be tested more broadly.
To me, this is called "RC" (for release candidate).
I've been used to alpha*, beta 1, 2 maybe 3 , RC, then new official version.
*no one still release alphas, for proto app are strong enough to test the look & feel or GUI

For this reason, I wouldn't blame BMD for what's going on about v14 process. They're actually letting users know about what's beyond the curtain, and what are the new features which are to pop up...

This is the real thing to do, and btw exactly what Apple didn't do with FCPX (which was a total disaster).

I personally don't have time to test anyway, even less from May to the end of July, for I have tons of running projects. Therefore I'm happy to watch videos there and fro, or guys testing features when I have time.
If you're on a pro project, stay on a final version (12.5.x now), or don't whine if you took a risk. Actual 12.5 is working, don't forget this.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve