Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k ND Rainbow Flare

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Douglas Sullivan

Re: Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k ND Rainbow Flare

PostWed May 17, 2017 2:58 am

Tim Schumann wrote:Not at this stage Jamie.

As quite a few people on here have said they would like to choose we are not installing it as mandatory.
It is a free accessory that people can add themselves. It is a very simple procedure and only takes a few minutes. As JB pointed out on another thread it is a very effective way to reduce that particular flare.

We will be sending these out shortly, there was a slight delay with the first batch so we will be getting these out shortly to our support offices.

Tim, can you explain why anyone might not want this filter installed? Might it have any adverse effects on clarity, sharpness, color, gamma, exposure? Filter out any desirable light along with the offending flare?

John Brawley

PostWed May 17, 2017 6:02 am

Douglas Sullivan wrote:
Tim Schumann wrote:Not at this stage Jamie.

As quite a few people on here have said they would like to choose we are not installing it as mandatory.
It is a free accessory that people can add themselves. It is a very simple procedure and only takes a few minutes. As JB pointed out on another thread it is a very effective way to reduce that particular flare.

We will be sending these out shortly, there was a slight delay with the first batch so we will be getting these out shortly to our support offices.

Tim, can you explain why anyone might not want this filter installed? Might it have any adverse effects on clarity, sharpness, color, gamma, exposure? Filter out any desirable light along with the offending flare?

Some users might "like" that particular flare.

Personally, my taste says it's not one of the nice flares we tend to like and fish for.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 18, 2017 2:43 am

Douglas Sullivan wrote:Tim, can you explain why anyone might not want this filter installed?

As I said in my post above there have been people on the forum, and there were also quite a few who we spoke to at NAB, who said they would like to be able to choose for themselves. So that is how we are rolling it out.

The mask does not effect clarity, sharpness, color, gamma, or exposure in normal shooting conditions.
It does make it harder to cause edge flare and eliminates the rainbow effect, so it certainly has effect on your color and gamma when you have direct light pointing down the camera lens, but not in a detrimental way.

We would certainly still recommend using matte-boxes or lens hoods where possible in uncontrolled lighting conditions but we are confident that this mask makes a big difference for those wanting a solution to this.

AnthonySneed

PostThu May 18, 2017 5:04 am

Can't wait to have this option.

I actually shot the opening of my short on a beautiful sunny day and got a really nice quick rainbow flare and I actually like it. But now that I have an option to choose I like that even more.
anthonysneed.film

Patrick Acum

PostThu May 18, 2017 8:55 am

Since swapping over to the PL mount, I don't seem to have noticed this as much. How does the release program work - do we need to contact our resellers?

MarkusPech

PostMon May 29, 2017 11:59 am

Any update on this? It's end of May now and we're shooting some stuff next month. Thanks!

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 31, 2017 2:06 am

These have been sent out to the support offices so please contact them for more information and to ensure they can get you one for your camera if you are in need of the Flare Mask
Last edited by Tim Schumann on Wed May 31, 2017 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

rick.lang

PostWed May 31, 2017 4:28 am

Let's hope Will is one of the first to receive the fix. Only two months to the day since his post detailed the problem and the fix is available. Good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Xu Chunlin

PostWed May 31, 2017 5:35 am

I bought the machine in China, has been sent to the Chinese agents, I hope you also attach importance to China.

AnthonySneed

PostWed May 31, 2017 5:01 pm

Cool. So for the US I call: 408 954 0500?

I was put on hold for over 10 minutes and eventually hung up. Do I ask to speak to support?

anthonysneed.film

VicHarris

PostWed May 31, 2017 6:21 pm

Was just on hold for 45 min. No answer. Come on guys.

Adam Silver

PostWed May 31, 2017 6:30 pm

The operator answers and asks what you need. Ask for support. I waited 9 minutes today. I've previously called and waited for 20 minutes, so it depends how busy they are, but they always answer. I was told the US office doesn't have them in yet, but they were shipped from Australia. I have a ticket open, and when they receive them, I'll be contacted for the shipping address.

Adam

AnthonySneed

PostWed May 31, 2017 6:30 pm

Should be a simple form you fill out online such a hassle

anthonysneed.film

VicHarris

PostWed May 31, 2017 6:52 pm

Adam Silver wrote:The operator answers and asks what you need. Ask for support. I waited 9 minutes today. I've previously called and waited for 20 minutes, so it depends how busy they are, but they always answer. I was told the US office doesn't have them in yet, but they were shipped from Australia. I have a ticket open, and when they receive them, I'll be contacted for the shipping address.

Adam

Yes, this is how every support office in the world works. I'm pretty sure we all understand this. 45 min with no answer is not always answering.

UPDATE: Finally got through and mine is going to be shipped out as well. Looks like we have a roll out boys and girls.
Last edited by VicHarris on Wed May 31, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Silver

PostWed May 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Yeah, 45 minutes is quite excessive. On another note, I was just informed that they got the IR masks in today, and they are shipping mine!

Adam

rick.lang

PostWed May 31, 2017 11:45 pm

Great guys. Having these ship to customers by month end is all good.

Rick Lang

Patrick Acum

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 2:59 am

I emailed support, they asked for my postal address, then said they'd send me two.
. Took about 5 minutes.

chris.white

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 3:05 am

Will the mask be included with newly shipping cameras (either installed or just in box)?
---
c

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 3:11 pm

If you're in need of the Flare Mask, we ask that you contact your regions support office by email and they can provide further information on how we can get this out to you.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

thomas bruegger

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:If you're in need of the Flare Mask, we ask that you contact your regions support office by email and they can provide further information on how we can get this out to you.

what if they dont get back to me? been 3 days....
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 6:09 pm

thomas bruegger wrote:what if they dont get back to me? been 3 days....

If you emailed in and haven't received a response, you can call your regions support office during their normal business hours and mentioned you emailed in as well and would like to follow up on the request.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Darren Scott

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Anyone receive there IR flare mask as yet? If so can you post some before and after shots showing the results? Also there is no mention by BMD of the process of installation. All they keep saying is its a simple process that takes a couple minutes. That tells us nothing of how to do it.

James_Westlake

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 2:20 pm

I got my flare mask on Friday, super easy to install, and thus far I've had no flare issues since, and it doesn't effect the image quality in any other way.
Edit: they sent out a PDF with install instructions when they posted the mask. It's just taking the mount off, peeling off an adhesive on the mask, sticking it on, putting the mount back on, done. Genuinely very easy and quick.
www.jameswestlake.co.uk
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6235043/

Darren Scott

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 4:56 pm

James_Westlake wrote:I got my flare mask on Friday, super easy to install, and thus far I've had no flare issues since, and it doesn't effect the image quality in any other way.
Edit: they sent out a PDF with install instructions when they posted the mask. It's just taking the mount off, peeling off an adhesive on the mask, sticking it on, putting the mount back on, done. Genuinely very easy and quick.

Thanks for the info!

Paul R. Williams

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 11:58 am

Just to let everyone who has this issue know that BMD has sent me an IR Filter Mask which is applied to the front filter fairly easily following their detailed instructions. This stops stray light entering the side of the IR Filter and causing the rainbow flare. Get in contact with BMD support and give them your UMP46 serial number to get this.
Paul R. Williams
    BMPC4K, URSA EF 4K, URSA Mini Pro 4.6K (EF/PL), BMPCC 6K Pro
    SanDisk SSDs & Lexar CFast & Samsung T5 & T7
    SmallRig rigging elements
    iMacPro (2017) 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W/32 GB/Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

Darren Scott

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 12:11 pm

BMD now need to include this with all shipping Ursa mini pro.

James Adams

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Has anybody received and installed the Flare Mask? Has it been verified to fix the issue?

Ursa Mini Pro just arrived today and very disappointed to discover this very obvious rainbow flare.

Darren Scott

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Paul R. Williams wrote:Just to let everyone who has this issue know that BMD has sent me an IR Filter Mask which is applied to the front filter fairly easily following their detailed instructions. This stops stray light entering the side of the IR Filter and causing the rainbow flare. Get in contact with BMD support and give them your UMP46 serial number to get this.

MarkusPech

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 8:36 am

We just applied the mask to our UMP, and it seems to do the trick. (We have no really bright light available right now to test it entirely, though.)

The ordering- and delivery-process was pretty fast, thanks for that!

EDIT: We had several shoots right now and the problem seems to be solved for us.
Last edited by MarkusPech on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Willem Timmersma

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Just installed the mask, at first I was a bit nervous to do it to be honest, but it was a quick and easy thing to do. It works perfectly. No ugly flares anymore so far!

bradleyjconomy

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi all,

I have had the mask installed for a week now and I can confirm that I still have some rainbow flaring with EF lenses. To be honest it is a lot better than I was experiencing without the mask but it also means that I have to be very careful when shooting slightly off the direction of the sun. I find the magenta/green flare distracting and something I have not encountered coming from shooting with other camera manufacturers.

Is this something BMD can fix (outside of using a mask) any time soon or is it just the reality that this is always going to be an issue for this camera? I guess I am looking for an answer to this so I can have realistic expectations on what I can expect from an otherwise perfect/versatile camera.

What would be the result of shooting without the IR filter for shoots that required shooting just away from the sun?

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 10.41.50 PM.png
Flare that I get with the mask (green/magenta) right side of frame
Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 10.41.50 PM.png (936.33 KiB) Viewed 19635 times

John Richard

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 1:39 pm

This looks like normal flares one gets when strong light such as the sun hits the lens at certain angles when there is no matte box shielding the lens. All cameras will experience this at certain angles of strong light with no matte box.

bradleyjconomy

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 11:36 am

Hi Richard,

This was with a matte box but regardless, when I get this flare with my Sony right next to the URSA (same lenses) the flare is warm white, not green and magenta rainbowing. I'll try and post side by sides soon. I've never seen magenta/green rainbowing on any other camera I've shot with. Happy for people to post examples of similar on other cameras if it has happened to them.

For the record I am only talking about the flare top right of image. The circular flare to the left is definately lens flare.

VicHarris

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 4:44 am

Installed mine, works great. I do get some craziness at one certain angle but it's going to be easy to avoid. Move the camera 1/4" and it's gone. Good job BM.

David Regenthal

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 2:08 am

Sent my UMP in to Fremont for repair (video issue), asked that they install the mask while it's there and they indicated they would. I did experience some phone delays initially but great response via e-mail. I've got confidence in these folks . . . we'll see.
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

romanbrant

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 10:37 am

Please somebody from technical support help me! I'm from Russia and i need flare mask for my Ursa Mini Pro. How i can get it? Many of sunny summer shootings upcoming ((((

Johannes Jonsson

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Just got my IR filter from BM to day. Where can I find the IR filter installation manual?
Johannes

rick.lang

Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k ND Rainbow Flare

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 3:36 pm

I believe the instructions have been posted here already. As I recall, you remove the camera (EF lens) mount's four screws to expose the IRND, position the mask over the screw holes, screw the mount back on. Nothing else apparently is required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

John Fishback

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 3:37 pm

John Fishback

Johannes Jonsson

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Thank you. Ill do it to night along testing the the B4 mount.
Johannes

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Which B4 lens(es) will you use, Johannes?

Rick Lang

Johannes Jonsson

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 4:57 pm

rick.lang wrote:Which B4 lens(es) will you use, Johannes?

Ill be testing one or two canon B4 2/3 lenses there have been lying around here in the office unused fore some time now.
One of them is yj13x6 IRS SX12 with 2x extender. I know it is meant for SD but I know of some one that were told by a canon dealer to buy this one when he was about to buy a HD lens and save some money. He told him it has the same glass as the Canon HD lens he was going to buy. He was told that the only difference were the type number and the HD label.
I do not know if that is true but Ill just test it to see how the bmp feels with a B4.
I may get me a B4 HD later if I like it. Or I may just get some of those of servo zoom EF lenses.
Johannes

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 5:34 am

When you buy, I strongly recommend you consider a used Fujinon to get good performance and good value.

Rick Lang

Johannes Jonsson

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 9:34 am

rick.lang wrote:When you buy, I strongly recommend you consider a used Fujinon to get good performance and good value.

Thank you Rick
Ill keep that in mind.
Johannes

Dara O'Neill

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:53 am

I had the mask shipped out to me promptly, got it successfully installed a couple weeks ago but yesterday evening with a low hanging sun the dreaded rainbow flare reappeared. What now?
Attachments
rainbow lens flare.jpg
rainbow lens flare.jpg (168.47 KiB) Viewed 18381 times

Armen Amirkh

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 10:21 am

I believe that this IR Cut filter needs replacement for more coated one.

Jamie LeJeune

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Dara O'Neill wrote:I had the mask shipped out to me promptly, got it successfully installed a couple weeks ago but yesterday evening with a low hanging sun the dreaded rainbow flare reappeared. What now?

Yikes! Does it still flare even if you have the internal ND set to clear or only when levels of ND are engaged?
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Benton Collins

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 1:37 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Dara O'Neill wrote:I had the mask shipped out to me promptly, got it successfully installed a couple weeks ago but yesterday evening with a low hanging sun the dreaded rainbow flare reappeared. What now?

Yikes! Does it still flare even if you have the internal ND set to clear or only when levels of ND are engaged?

Good question Jamie. I'm beginning to appreciate my antique UM4.6k more than ever.

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 5:08 am

Benton, my thoughts as well. I have a complete set of NiSi Nano IRND that work beautifully... well at least they don't seem to create rainbow flares. KISS. Also applies to my 100% manual lenses. I make mistakes, not my gear.

Rick Lang

Matt LaCorte

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 7:51 am

Just got my hands on an UMP, I was concerned about the flare issue- when I got the camera up and running I thought that the flare had been preinstalled, no issues whatsoever. Only a day or two later I realized that I was using the matte box, once I took it off the flare was as vibrant as ever... The takeaway for me was to always use a mattebox. Works wonders!
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography