Ursa Mini under rain

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Emilian Dechev

Ursa Mini under rain

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 11:53 am

With so big cooling area, that is exposed to the elements, should I worry about getting my UM46 under light rain? The sensor and powering compartments, seem to be sealed off, from the cooling area.

rick.lang

Ursa Mini under rain

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 5:59 pm

Funny you should ask today. Last evening I had a shoot under overcast skies for a couple of hours, with no rain in the forecast during my shoot, but for the last 15 minutes the occasional drop of rain turned into a very light rain. I don't shoot during 'rain' or 'heavy rain' but I have shot without issue during 'light rain' before. Well after about 10 minutes of 'light rain' I was using the buttons on the BM Viewfinder, checking false colour as my daylight was fading to T4. When I tried to click the BMVF to remove the false colour display, it did not respond. Clicked all three buttons repeatedly but stuck on false colour. So I powered down the entire camera and powered it up--good news the BMVF displayed the normal scene without false colour, but I wasn't going to click anything and I shot the last few minutes with the LCD monitor. Let it dry out overnight and this morning everything is back to normal thankfully.

The cameras are not weather proof or weather resistant and you use them in the rain at your own risk. Even light rain can can hit just the right spot to seep into the electronics I suppose.

When I know rain is expected, I'll be more careful keeping it off the camera and BMVM. The Fujinon Zoom is easy to wipe off frequently or keep something over the barrel and hasn't complained when it has been caught in 'light rain.'

There is a German manufacturer of rain gear for the URSA Mini. I think it was EWA. When I emailed them a question months ago, they never replied so I didn't buy one. I think my question related to being able to accommodate my Fujinon Zoom with the 110mm outside dimension. I don't think their standard gear goes that large but I was asking about a custom solution. Your mileage may vary. I'd recommend the product likely if I had it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Robert Niessner

Re: Ursa Mini under rain

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Rick, it is www.ewa-marine.de

If you want, I can give them a call and ask for you.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

Ursa Mini under rain

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 7:32 pm

That's right. Thanks, Robert. Very kind.

I need to protect and operate the URSA Mini 4.6K in the rain with the Fujinon HA20x7.8B M10 which is about 22 cm long and 110mm OD. That would be without my Bright Tangerine Misfit Atom matte box which I normally use at least for an IR Cut. Don't know if it is possible to include that, but I could live without the matte box as I don't think IR pollution is as intense during rain. Even better if it accommodated my Chrosziel Fluid Zoom control as that's a very essential part of my rig.

My other lenses are all smaller: the SLR Magic APO primes with 95mm OD plus screw-on filters. I believe their standard raincoat can manage that diameter.

Rick Lang

Note Suwanchote

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 1:48 am

rick.lang wrote:That's right. Thanks, Robert. Very kind.

I need to protect and operate the URSA Mini 4.6K in the rain with the Fujinon HA20x7.8B M10 which is about 22 cm long and 110mm OD. That would be without my Bright Tangerine Misfit Atom matte box which I normally use at least for an IR Cut. Don't know if it is possible to include that, but I could live without the matte box as I don't think IR pollution is as intense during rain. Even better if it accommodated my Chrosziel Fluid Zoom control as that's a very essential part of my rig.

My other lenses are all smaller: the SLR Magic APO primes with 95mm OD plus screw-on filters. I believe their standard raincoat can manage that diameter.

Hey Rick,

Camrade's wetsuit works really well if you're looking for something like that? It'll fit the EVF.
Finally bought one since, for some darn reason, we've been getting a ton of rain here.
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

rick.lang

Ursa Mini under rain

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 4:41 am

Thanks, Note. I shall take a look.

Edit:
A very affordable solution that is certainly better than how I've managed. There aren't enough pictures to know how well I could still use the Fujinon zoom but they include a cover for longer lenses. The EWA solution seems much more sophisticated but this one is far less money and may be sufficient.

https://www.camrade.com/images/stories/ ... mini-5.jpg

Rick Lang

Emilian Dechev

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks for the solutions, but I really need someone from BM to confirm, that water going inside the cooling area, will not affect the sensor and power compartments...

bensaffer

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Large poly bag, shammy, gaff tape, bongo ties, shower cap. Best wet weather defence a couple of £ can buy. Good enough for major movie shoots, good enough for my little Ursa Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas Sullivan

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Does the cam risk overheating in a sealed bag though? I'd think it would need some sort of venting...

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 4:11 pm

I think the underside is totally open and there is the side vent for the monitor. Good point though as that may not allow enough air circulation.

Rick Lang

Stephen Press

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 7:09 am

I have an old news one that is light loose fitting, can cover add-ons to camera, including a Gigawave but can be tightened up if the rain/wind is really bad

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59C435C7

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A0CAE2F

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59C66A87
"A cameraman with out a camera is just a man"

Rolands Briedis

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 9:15 am

So what would be budget option for defending Ursa mini from rain, can someone drop links where it could be bought in Europe. Thanks!!

Johannes Jonsson

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 9:45 am

I am usually using Porta brace RC-10 rain cover from my old Sony dsr 570 and sometimes the Porta brace RS-URSA Rain Slicker rain cover from my big URSA 4K.
I can not say that ether of them fit perfectly but they do the job until I can make a decision to go for Porta brace Rain Slicker for the mini or the Camrade wet suit rain cover for the mini or something else.
Johannes

OwenCrowley

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 am

Hey folks, may I poll your experience with UMP rain gear after these few months?

I just bought the CamRade wetSuite, but I think I will return it. It is clearly built to fit the UMP, but I find it noisy and awkward to operate my manual Fujinon zoom. (A three motor servo grip would work better with this CamRade.) Also, there is not good place for a shotgun mic.

Has anybody tried the Porta Brace Rain Slicker?
Or the EWA-Marine “Hurricane Hood” rain cape?
https://www.ewa-marine.com/products/rai ... cast-cine/

Or maybe a pointer to a DIY solution would be good. I like the idea of a rain cape if it does not flop around in moderate wind.

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 5:44 am

When I investigated this last year, I liked EWA-Marine’s solutions.

Rick Lang

Rauno Linnamäe

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 9:15 am

A backpack cover from an outdoors/camping store is extremely useful for keeping away light rain, snow or dust. It's not a replacement for a custom wetsuit for a particular camera but at the same time it's much more elegant than an ad hoc solution out of trash bags and gaffer tape.
Special Effects Supervisor / Key Grip / Managing Partner at Nordic Vision
http://www.nordic-vision.eu

Denny Smith

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Rick, just get a gaffer/grip clamp and pack your “British” umbrella, and clamp,to,the camera handle, so,you and the camera both stay dry. A quick and easy so,union as long as the wind is not blowing.
For windy conditions, use a sandbag light stand to hold the umbrella, or get an assistant to hold it over the camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Thanks, Denny. Of course there are times when staying home in bed is the best option. We’re having 80-100 km winds last night and easing later this morning.

Rick Lang

Leon Benzakein

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 6:53 pm

rick.lang wrote:Thanks, Denny. Of course there are times when staying home in bed is the best option. We’re having 80-100 km winds last night and easing later this morning.

Could it have been something you ate :?: :idea:
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 12:36 am

Wow! That is some storm, Rick. My daughter is in Vancouver visiting a friend, hope she is ok as well. Stay warm and dry my friend.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 4:25 am

Leon Benzakein wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Thanks, Denny. Of course there are times when staying home in bed is the best option. We’re having 80-100 km winds last night and easing later this morning.

Could it have been something you ate :?: :idea:

Are you psychic, Leon? We did host 13 here for two birthday parties Saturday afternoon and had dinner guests in the evening... so I did consume too much of my homemade ice cream and chiffon cake. The night was quite unpleasant weather.

I’ve eaten much less today and the weather is much more peaceful. Thanks for the insight in how to control the weather!

Rick Lang

Robert Niessner

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 9:30 am

Be careful when you press the whitebalance preset buttons in your Blackmagic camera - they might change the weather since the last firmware update.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Return to Cinematography