Horizontal grey line in render

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

Horizontal grey line in render

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 8:50 pm

OSX 10.12.3 32gb of ram, gtx 980ti 6gb like render gpu, gtx 780 like UI gpu.
resolve 12.5.5 just downloaded.

after rendering (not during preview) i found some random gray horizontal line on render.
i put in project prores 4k from bmpc4k, i add 2-3 correction node with simple color correction, and sometimes a noise reduction with internal Resolve denoise, or Neatvideo OFX.
i output a full data or video level data in mxf dnxhr 4:4:4

i just finished another project from raw 4k bmpc4k, and no problem in output (prores 4:4:4).

i need to export shooting for a documentary where i have since 20h of render for each of 3 days, and i want to avoid another waste of time.
i found some old threads about similar problems, like to not use video data but only full data, update card driver, i changed three gpu, gpu family from kepler to pascal, but nothing.
this happened from first clip to last clip in a random way, also at rebooted computer and cold cpu/gpu situation.

any suggestion?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Horizontal grey line in render

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 pm

Can you post a screen shot of the artifact?

I don't know how you would have tried Pascal cards, since there is still no Mac Pascal driver, that I can see.

But for the 980Ti card, you would want to be using the NVIDIA 367.15.10.35f01 web driver and probably the 8.0.71 CUDA driver.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

alexoreman

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 11:58 pm

The Pascal OSX driver has been released as of last week as a "beta" driver under 10.12.4: https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/W ... .05f01.pkg

I have done limited testing and it appears to work just like the previous web drivers so far ymmv.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 1:29 am

Thanks Alex!
Dwaine Maggart

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Can you post a screen shot of the artifact?

I don't know how you would have tried Pascal cards, since there is still no Mac Pascal driver, that I can see.

But for the 980Ti card, you would want to be using the NVIDIA 367.15.10.35f01 web driver and probably the 8.0.71 CUDA driver.

Hi Dwaine
last update on website nvidia about Cuda is 8.0.61, by cuda panel i can update to 8.0.63 no more, 8.0.71 is a beta or developer version?
i just have driver version told from you.
anyway Same problem with gtx 780 Kepler family (i have two of them from different brand).
i use also many other GPU based software and no problem, i use a 3d render (octane render) and no problem. i could check if openCL solve my problem, but it's sloooooooooooower than cuda and i want to avoid it, i bought cuda card exactly to avoid to use openCL

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 7:02 pm

For whatever reason, the CUDA panel in Prefs does not show the latest versions. Download the version I suggested from the NVIDIA driver download site and manually install it.
Dwaine Maggart

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:For whatever reason, the CUDA panel in Prefs does not show the latest versions. Download the version I suggested from the NVIDIA driver download site and manually install it.

i'm sure to have last, i format and install all fresh 2 weeks ago, cleanest system that i ever used.
tomorrow i will reiceve a new ssd, i will try to install a window10 Os to check if is a Osx related problem, like i read in other thread.

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 8:28 am

Update...
i reup an old project that one years ago i export without problem...
not gray line... grey, blu, green and red, purple ... all together :-(

i tried to :
- resolve 12.5.5
- resolve 14b3
- driver Os native Sierra
- driver alternative nvidia Sierra
- win10 driver
- win10 last from nvidia
- win10 older driver that i can
- export prores 4444 / prores
the old project work fine on old configuration (same computer, old Os and old driver), but if i build a new project it's a bit of pain export for old davinci version...
now my new test is to check with older Resolve to understand if is Os (sierra and driver) or simplier nvidia driver (like happen under win10 for many people, but not for me, i tried and give me problem also with older win driver).

to me happened on raw, on prores and h264 phantom shooting
Attachments
Senza titolo 4.jpeg
Senza titolo 4.jpeg (936.84 KiB) Viewed 6004 times
Senza titolo 3.jpeg
Senza titolo 3.jpeg (698.46 KiB) Viewed 6004 times
Senza titolo 2.jpeg
Senza titolo 2.jpeg (712.99 KiB) Viewed 6004 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 6:28 pm

The CUDA driver is now at version 8.0.83. Have you tried that?

I'm confused by your reference to Win10 drivers? Do you also have a Windows 10 system you see the same issue on? Is it the Mac in Bootcamp?
Dwaine Maggart

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 8:01 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The CUDA driver is now at version 8.0.83. Have you tried that?

I'm confused by your reference to Win10 drivers? Do you also have a Windows 10 system you see the same issue on? Is it the Mac in Bootcamp?

update :
- i tested with last cuda, downloaded today.
- i tested also resolve 12.5 / 12.5.1 / 12.5.2 / 12.5.3 /12.5.4
- tested with os driver (without 980 support, only 780)
- tested with all nvidia driver that i could download and install on 10.12.3 osx sierra
- tested with windows 10 on bootcamp
- tested on win10 on another computer (windows assembled from me) with another 780 (different brand)
- tested with different nvidia driver.

if i render UHD line are small, if i render FHD line are quad time heavier.. seems a bug that work on line sinc or line managment of picture... anyway is a very annoying problem.
now i'm going to be out for work, when i came back to home i can try to put a new hd on mac, install elcapitan, old nvidia driver and try to export an old project that at december work fine on this mac.

i can go back with driver, but not with cuda, because i use a lots of engine that use cuda (octane render) and i can't go back too much or i lose ability to use correctly many other software.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 9:17 pm

I don't even know what to suggest here.

It seems unimaginable that you could have the same artifact on all those different versions of software and drivers and on Mac and Win10 systems, with different graphics cards.

If it's specific to one project, it might be helpful if you can link to a project export drp of the project, and comment on what area of the timeline the artifact happens in, i.e. is it specific to a certain clip or grade.

You mention "lots of engine that use cuda (octane render)". None of that stuff is running when this issue occurs, is it?
Dwaine Maggart

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 6:22 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I don't even know what to suggest here.

It seems unimaginable that you could have the same artifact on all those different versions of software and drivers and on Mac and Win10 systems, with different graphics cards.

If it's specific to one project, it might be helpful if you can link to a project export drp of the project, and comment on what area of the timeline the artifact happens in, i.e. is it specific to a certain clip or grade.

You mention "lots of engine that use cuda (octane render)". None of that stuff is running when this issue occurs, is it?

Dear Dwaine,
i understand your point of view, i did tech assistance many years ago, i'm use to check all possible source of trouble, and i understand that you haven't other suggest to give me.
i have same artifact with three different video card, that not give me problem in past, on two different computer.

Is not a project relates, is related to all kind of video that i open in resolve
- i tried with old project that work fine, and now give me error,
- i tried with different source, from bmd raw videos to prores, to h264, to mpg2long gop, to mfx dnxhr, to cineform codec...
- i exported in different codec to see if there is a codec encoding problem, to uncompressed video...
- i tried opencl or Cuda acceleration
- also a simple edit without color node give me this error.

the problem born only on export, never during preview in color or edit session, and that give me a suspect, that resolve use in a different way the video card during working and during export.

- now next week i can try to change video card (i have a friend with a computer shop, i can ask to him to give me a couple of card to check) if them fault... but render engine that use video card (cuda acceleration) to render 3d (octane), adobe suite, plugin like neat video (only cuda acceleration setup) no one give me a single error...
- then i try to go back with macOs, with win10 os (that hellish os continue to update also if you not wan't and waste working configuration, i fight with notebook where win10 continue to update touchpad driver and everytime touchpad stop to be usable... until i found the way to stop the driver update from control panel).

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 11:10 pm

Carlo, are you using the free or studio version?

If studio, can you try the free version from the BMD support web site and let us know what happens.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 1:50 am

Can you please run system profiler, and in USB section make sure the dongle is listed? If it shows up ok, please grab your logs and post a link here.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 6:38 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Carlo, are you using the free or studio version?

If studio, can you try the free version from the BMD support web site and let us know what happens.

Studio version, now I'm out for work, when I will back to home I try and tell you.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 6:39 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:Can you please run system profiler, and in USB section make sure the dongle is listed? If it shows up ok, please grab your logs and post a link here.

Usb dongle must be seen or studio not start, about log you talk about MacosX or davinci? If davinci please let me know where I can do it

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 6:43 am

Anyway, is there any kind of diagnostic tool from resolve?
And more...
Why free must give me different result from studio with dongle?
And more
Why if there is a difference between preview and render, if there is a fault i must see it also in preview, why I can see only in render?
I use to analyze and disassemble all.process when I meet a problem. Then I would like to know more about different process.
I'm suggesting resolve to a lots of people.during my work, and ironically I have problem that they not have (and that I haven't in past with it).

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 9:16 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:
Rohit Gupta wrote:Can you please run system profiler, and in USB section make sure the dongle is listed? If it shows up ok, please grab your logs and post a link here.

Usb dongle must be seen or studio not start, about log you talk about MacosX or davinci? If davinci please let me know where I can do it

macOS
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Carlo, are you using the free or studio version?

Hi peter,
i just tested, project did with studio give me error, remove studio, install free, give me clean render...
with 780 and with 980... it's not a matter of card, or driver... on studio also single card give me error...

and more... free version export a uhd timeline with additional plugin
i missed something? free version was not limited to fhd, no external plugin, no NR and MB effects?
is only NR/MB no effects ?
please let me know why i spent 1000$.... :o

anyway... complete recap :
from resolve 12 to 14b3 studio on Sierra, with os driver or Nvidia last driver i have trouble with :
- uhd or fhd timeline (change the size of line, heavier with fhd, thickener for uhd).
- simple color or open and export footage
- raw / prores from production camera / h264 from gh2/3/4 phantom 4 shooting
- 780 or 980ti both or single card

with 12.5.5 free clean render with the exactly same project ...

kind regards

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 pm

So, in the scenario that the line is happening in, please go into About This Mac - System Report and save the system report as an .spx file and provide a link.
Dwaine Maggart

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 5:57 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:So, in the scenario that the line is happening in, please go into About This Mac - System Report and save the system report as an .spx file and provide a link.

is the same scenario where free work, simple uninstall and install free, no change hardware, no change software...
anyway now i'm again out of work, and computer is in reindering, i need to export that project before this weekend and until i'm finish it i not touch computer, also simple report :-D
later i can send you all infos.

if someone ask me to test free may be that you know there are a very important difference about hardware use between free and studio? you probably aware about it... also be cause is not only my fault, but is a fault of many people between win and mac, please let me know the difference, i was a developer and i'm curious to know :-P

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 6:54 pm

here the the data of mac.
the mac where free work fine, and studio give me colored line.
now i'm going to finish to render with free, then i bought a new disk, i will try to downgrade to elcapitan where i haven't problems like this.
Attachments
Mac Pro.spx.zip
mac description
(296.58 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 6:57 pm

You apparently don't have a Resolve dongle installed.
Dwaine Maggart

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Jun 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You apparently don't have a Resolve dongle installed.

ehm Dwaine, without dongle Studio cannot start, give me error... of no dongle...
i just tried (again)... if i put on computer, studio start again.
Attachments
DSC_0039.jpg
without dongle studio not start, carlo are not happy :-P
DSC_0039.jpg (423.25 KiB) Viewed 5707 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:48 pm

All I'm saying is that the spx file you sent showed no dongle.
Dwaine Maggart

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 6:07 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:All I'm saying is that the spx file you sent showed no dongle.

Yeah, I understand, but how can studio work if not see dongle? No one studio give me error with dongle on computer from 12.5 to 14b3, I tried all version to find solution to my problem.
Other software that use hardware done.like lghtwave 3d that came with rainbow dongle work fine, resolve itself work fine until i update os, but from what I understood or resolve installdriver or recognize directly hardware. If is not seen by os, there is driver to install separately? There is a tool to check the presence of dongle?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Your spx file has no Extensions info.

If possible, run the Mac System Report again, and select Extensions. See if that opens for you. Once it does, then Save the spx and link to it again.

Also have the Resolve dongle connected when you do this.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve