Flange distance issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Felix Steinhardt

Re: Flange distance issue

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 11:51 am

That´s great Kristian!
That restored my faith in the BMCC!

I will keep my EF order, even if I get the "old" type tomorrow and have to send it in.

My biggest fear with this camera was not that it will have problems and glitches, but that BMD will just ignore it as other companys do. That´s certainly not the case here! :)

robmneilson

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Looks like I'm sending my camera in, would love to have this issue resolved quickly!

John Richard

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 2:29 pm

Thank you Kristian and Blackmagic for working this out.

It is a shame that the lens companies like Canon and Tokina will not cooperate when they themselves stand to profit by selling lenses to be used on this camera. Tokina 11-16mm/2.8 was once a touted wide lens for this very camera and it helped increased Tokina sales. But they don't have the common courtesy to respond to legitimate inquiries from BM engineers working to resolve an issue involving their lenses? And what is the point of Canon withholding mechanical specifications from camera makers designed to use their EF lenses. Does Canon think that will help them sell more Canon cameras instead of Canon lenses?

Marshall Harrington

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Thanks for digging into this Kristian. I can only hope that the word now goes out about the fix as quickly as it did concerning the problem. These types of responses give Blackmagic tremendous credibility.

Darryl Gregory

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 pm

For everyone requesting an RMA here are all the Blackmagic support locations and contacts
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company/

I myself am a little angry that I had to pay $63 for shipping and insurance VIA UPS,
This is not a financial burden I should have to absorb.

Blackmagic Design Inc needs to somehow reimburse it's customers for this expense
as this falls squarely on there shoulders.

sean mclennan

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 11:12 pm

Darryl, you are an early adopter dude. There are always going to be some unforeseen issues or compatibility problems with brand new products. This is BM's first camera and, like RED, they are finding out all the little issues that can become big issues.

There is going to be growing pains, no matter what. That should be expected really. You're getting a fix for free, but yeah...you have to ship the camera. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

Cam Macduff

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 pm

sean mclennan wrote:Darryl, you are an early adopter dude. There are always going to be some unforeseen issues or compatibility problems with brand new products. This is BM's first camera and, like RED, they are finding out all the little issues that can become big issues.

There is going to be growing pains, no matter what. That should be expected really. You're getting a fix for free, but yeah...you have to ship the camera. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

I'd 2nd that. Just my opinion though. Everyone feels differently.
But I'm generally ecstatic about the camera's output overall.
Since this is entirely fixable, I consider it just a bump in the overall 'great ride' I'd elected to go on with BM.
As long as they continue to provide fixes where possible, I'll be happy.

Darryl Gregory

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Sean, It's not about the money, and to some extent I agree with you, I suppose I'm really angry over the fact this is just now being addressed, I mean what the heck why didn't they catch this problem months ago?
And now I just hope I get my camera back quickly so I can go shoot, I was sick with the flu and haven't had any play time with the camera yet.

UPDATE: How about we all get a Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera T-Shirt or Baseball Cap
For our troubles? Whataya say BlackMagic Design Inc?

sean mclennan

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 12:14 am

I hear you!

It definitely tempers the excitment of finally getting your camera, only to find this issue, that issue, etc.

Unfortunately, now that it's in the hands of the people, the issues are presenting themselves. SSD compatibles...flange problems, etc.

It's going to be a rough 6 months I think :?

Adrian Musto

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Is this issue now going to be corrected on the cameras currently being built? :?

Christine Peterson

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Adrian Musto wrote:Is this issue now going to be corrected on the cameras currently being built? :?

Yes: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4319&start=90#p34245
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Adrian Musto

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks Christine... I need my eyes checked! ;)

Thomas Schumacher

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:
Adrian Musto wrote:Is this issue now going to be corrected on the cameras currently being built? :?

What about making this post a sticky? Not everyone likes to read thru' dozens of pages.
And in the end, this is some good news - rare enough around here....
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 2:07 am

Hope this question has not been addressed elsewhere on the forum:
Will the BMCC MFT cameras have any adjustment made to the flange distance prior to shipment or will BMD stick with following the accurate specifications for the MFT mount? I am hoping there is no change from their MFT specifications and the flange distance change only applies to the EF mount.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Jason Dunphy

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 pm

So is this a problem on all cameras? I have mine but I haven't tried it out on too many lenses. The ones I have work but it hasn't been on the ones people have been reporting. Should I go ahead and send mine in? Or if I find out later, can I just send it in then?

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 5:15 am

Jason Dunphy wrote:Or if I find out later, can I just send it in then?

BMD should really provide 2 years warranty in the EU, not just 1 year. EU law states a minimum of 2 years, so what's up with that, BMD?
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 5:24 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:
Jason Dunphy wrote:Or if I find out later, can I just send it in then?

BMD should really provide 2 years warranty in the EU, not just 1 year. EU law states a minimum of 2 years, so what's up with that, BMD?

I don't believe BMD is under any EU Warranty law, I think the EU Distributor/seller is, that's whats up!

I think :roll: :lol:
http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

and

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bill ... U-law.html

Xtreemtec

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 9:35 am

Is it possible to make a statement from which Serial number the camera's are calibrated the right way from the factory? This could be a mayor help for people that may buying a BMCC that is shipped before re-calb. procedures.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

nivou

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
Is it possible to make a statement from which Serial number the camera's are calibrated the right way from the factory? This could be a mayor help for people that may buying a BMCC that is shipped before re-calb. procedures.

I agree

Fabián Matas

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 5:07 pm

rick.lang wrote:

Hope this question has not been addressed elsewhere on the forum:
Will the BMCC MFT cameras have any adjustment made to the flange distance prior to shipment or will BMD stick with following the accurate specifications for the MFT mount? I am hoping there is no change from their MFT specifications and the flange distance change only applies to the EF mount.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rick, as far as I know MFT is like an "opensource" mount. Canon EF is not and the flange distance problems are based in the lack of info from Canon.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 11:24 am

Jason Dunphy wrote:So is this a problem on all cameras? I have mine but I haven't tried it out on too many lenses. The ones I have work but it hasn't been on the ones people have been reporting. Should I go ahead and send mine in? Or if I find out later, can I just send it in then?

Jason,

Not everyone will encounter this issue. Also, if the lenses you use are fine, then there's really no need to do anything.

It will also be counter productive to try and send the camera back to be adjusted if out of say 5 lenses, one is slightly soft as it may be an issue with the lens itself.

nivou

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi Kristian,

Is there any additional delay due to the flange distance issue? It's been some time since we heard someone getting a camera. Thank you in advance

Jason Dunphy

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:
Jason Dunphy wrote:So is this a problem on all cameras? I have mine but I haven't tried it out on too many lenses. The ones I have work but it hasn't been on the ones people have been reporting. Should I go ahead and send mine in? Or if I find out later, can I just send it in then?

Jason,

Not everyone will encounter this issue. Also, if the lenses you use are fine, then there's really no need to do anything.

It will also be counter productive to try and send the camera back to be adjusted if out of say 5 lenses, one is slightly soft as it may be an issue with the lens itself.

That's good news. Thank you Kristian. I'm love the image I'm getting from the camera and just wanted to check and get it fixed asap if needed. The lenses I use are fine but I rent alot, so I just wanted to check. Thanks for getting back to me.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 05, 2013 10:29 pm

nivou wrote:Hi Kristian,

Is there any additional delay due to the flange distance issue? It's been some time since we heard someone getting a camera. Thank you in advance

No additional delays at all. Cameras are still shipping out as I type this. Maybe those that received it are not on the forums.

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Mar 10, 2013 6:07 am

Has anyone gone through the adjustment process yet? Anyone from the UK? How long did it take?
www.christianschmeer.com

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Mar 10, 2013 6:29 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:Has anyone gone through the adjustment process yet? Anyone from the UK? How long did it take?

I'm still waiting for my camera to be returned, but I will post how long they took to fix it,
That's a given since I got no real answer when I called and asked...

What Months? Weeks? 2-3 weeks? no answer, But If I don't get my camera back soon...
They may have just purchased it as I will refuse a return if it takes longer than 3 weeks.

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 5:08 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:I'm still waiting for my camera to be returned, but I will post how long they took to fix it,
That's a given since I got no real answer when I called and asked...

What Months? Weeks? 2-3 weeks? no answer, But If I don't get my camera back soon...
They may have just purchased it as I will refuse a return if it takes longer than 3 weeks.

Oh, dear.. this makes me worried. I want to get the issue fixed, but I don't want to risk not having the camera for weeks or months either...
www.christianschmeer.com

John Richard

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 2:35 pm

10 business days from when they receive the cam is the time frame BM estimated. Mine has been in Fremont, CA for 5 days.

Very happy that they came up with the source of the problem and are taking care of it so quickly. I think it shows BM is a standup company.

Theodore Prentice

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Is it possible to make a statement from which Serial number the camera's are calibrated the right way from the factory?

Are you (Blackmagic) offering any indication in the camera packaging that the camera has been updated/calibrated?

Seems like an easy enough fix.

Thanks

John Brawley

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:
Xtreemtec wrote:Is it possible to make a statement from which Serial number the camera's are calibrated the right way from the factory?

Are you (Blackmagic) offering any indication in the camera packaging that the camera has been updated/calibrated?

Thanks

I think you'll find any cameras shipped after Kris made the announcement would have the new extra FFD tolerance built in...

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Theodore Prentice

PostThu Mar 14, 2013 4:27 am

John Brawley wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:

Thanks

I think you'll find any cameras shipped after Kris made the announcement would have the new extra FFD tolerance built in...

jb

As if the entire global bmcc buying community reads this forum, and then happens upon this thread..
Cmon jb.
Seriously, it would be nice to know if the bmcc i just unboxed had been adjusted at the factory before it left for America. Eh, i wasnt busy tomorrow anyway, why not spend some time checking!!

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm going far past the 10 working days, and getting very annoyed to say the least, I really think there needs to be some financial compensation regarding my situation anyway.

This is getting ridiculous.

Tom

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:I'm going far past the 10 working days, and getting very annoyed to say the least, I really think there needs to be some financial compensation regarding my situation anyway.

You have a go at people for complaining about not getting their cameras on one thread, and on another complain and ask for financial compensation on another?

Just be glad you even got a camera yet, even if you had to send it back.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

bhook

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 4:39 pm

Tom wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:I'm going far past the 10 working days, and getting very annoyed to say the least, I really think there needs to be some financial compensation regarding my situation anyway.

You have a go at people for complaining about not getting their cameras on one thread, and on another complain and ask for financial compensation on another?

Just be glad you even got a camera yet, even if you had to send it back.

You beat me to it Tom. SMH.

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Your are both just mad cause I'm mad that you don't have yours yet, and mine is not back yet, now get over it, before I figure out why I'm mad at you, and before you can figure out why we are all mad.

Get it? good.

Rob Wenzek

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 9:49 pm

Has anyone who sent off their camera received it back yet? I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago and have been looking for any news from anyone who has sent theirs in. Anyone?

John Richard

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 11:18 pm

BMCC Fremont, CA rec'ed ours on 3/5/13.
So technically they have had it for 9-10 business days as of the end of today.
Rec'ed an email advising that it should ship back by the end of this week.

So they are pretty close to what they estimated for time.

It is more important to me that it is fixed and calibrated perfectly.

I think BM is doing a good job with this issue.

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 pm

John Richard wrote:BMCC Fremont, CA rec'ed ours on 3/5/13.
So technically they have had it for 9-10 business days as of the end of today.
Rec'ed an email advising that it should ship back by the end of this week.

So they are pretty close to what they estimated for time.

It is more important to me that it is fixed and calibrated perfectly.

I think BM is doing a good job with this issue.

I have no doubt the work they are doing is a "Good Job", I Just wish...
Opps I said I wouldn't bitch about it anymore, So....yeah!
Good Job BMD! :mrgreen:

Paul Abrahams

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 11:06 am

I received my BMC about 9th March I wonder if it has the flange issue fixed?

I've only ever owned Canon Lenses, after ordering the BMC I figured I'd need a lower light capable lens (it seems everyone touts the tokina 11-16mm as there's not much else around) I sold my Canon 10-22mm (beautiful lens btw) and picked up the tok what a disappointment.

You wouldn't believe the difference compared to a Canon 17-55mm and my 10-22? at times even smoked that! Now I feel like an idiot for off loading it.

I won't bother about the flange issue just to remedy the Tok at 2.8 I do know some people like the TOK but not me.

Re: Fixes etc;

It would be helpful if a manufacturing date was included in the package and an announcement of which manufacturing date onwards the flange has been corrected. Anyway, its just another example of the quirky and annoying bits of info hard to find out, such as, what firmware version is installed on the camera? Be handy to have that in the menu, on screen, in the box, on a QC note signed, ...somewhere. :?
SubUrban Voodoo Productions

Christine Peterson

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Paul Abrahams wrote:I received my BMC about 9th March I wonder if it has the flange issue fixed?
It would be helpful if a manufacturing date was included in the package and an announcement of which manufacturing date onwards the flange has been corrected.

As Kristian Lam mentioned earlier in this thread, not all cameras were experiencing this issue. Even if you got your camera before the "fix," your camera is probably fine. If you discover the issue, consider sending it in, but I wouldn't just assume your camera has a problem if you received it before a certain date.

Kristian Lam wrote:

Jason,

Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

bhook

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:As Kristian Lam mentioned earlier in this thread, not all cameras were experiencing this issue. Even if you got your camera before the "fix," your camera is probably fine.

I just don't understand that. If BMD makes the BMC with a specified flange distance to exacting tolerances, wouldn't all BMCs possess pretty much exactly the same flange distance? If one BMC requires adjustment to correct a flange distance error, then why wouldn't all BMCs require the adjustment? And if all current BMCs being shipped have had the flange distance "fix", then why wouldn't an earlier built BMC need the fix?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 7:18 pm

I think what Kris meant was that not everyone will experience the issue depending on what lenses they use.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

bhook

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 7:20 pm

...or what lenses they may acquire in the future? Did you get yours "fixed"?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Yeah, it would seem so. No i haven't sent it in, i only have canon L glass at the moment and i guess the tolerances on those lenses are tighter as i haven't noticed a problem (i haven't gone looking for it either but i did do some shots in my testing that i think would have showed infinity focusing issues on my lenses if there were some).

That's the other thing, if the flange distance gets adjusted to allow for 'sloppy' lenses, does it mean that lenses that are more exact or working fine get affected (negatively)? I'm sure i asked earlier about what would happen to 'cine' glass getting the flange distance adjusted (reluctant to say 'fixed' since it seems lenses have the slop) since the tolerance on those is generally tighter. I think i read somewhere it would negatively affect them. :(
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

John Brawley

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 8:56 pm

mhood wrote:
Christine Peterson wrote:As Kristian Lam mentioned earlier in this thread, not all cameras were experiencing this issue. Even if you got your camera before the "fix," your camera is probably fine.

I just don't understand that. If BMD makes the BMC with a specified flange distance to exacting tolerances, wouldn't all BMCs possess pretty much exactly the same flange distance? If one BMC requires adjustment to correct a flange distance error, then why wouldn't all BMCs require the adjustment? And if all current BMCs being shipped have had the flange distance "fix", then why wouldn't an earlier built BMC need the fix?

The "fix" is a deliberates shortening of the actual spec FFD.

This FIX also breaks some lenses because it means those that have accurate witness mark, and hard stops at infinity will no longer be accurate once the BMCC is "fixed". A lot of lenses that haven't worked ALSO have versions that do...

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 12:55 am

John Brawley wrote:This FIX

:D

bhook

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 1:03 am

John Brawley wrote:The "fix" is a deliberates shortening of the actual spec FFD.

This FIX also breaks some lenses because it means those that have accurate witness mark, and hard stops at infinity will no longer be accurate once the BMCC is "fixed".

And this is something that BMD is doing to every single EF BMC that they ship going forward, right?

PaulDelVecchio

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 am

mhood wrote:
John Brawley wrote:The "fix" is a deliberates shortening of the actual spec FFD.

This FIX also breaks some lenses because it means those that have accurate witness mark, and hard stops at infinity will no longer be accurate once the BMCC is "fixed".

And this is something that BMD is doing to every single EF BMC that they ship going forward, right?

Yes.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

robmneilson

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 2:39 pm

Has anyone gotten their cam back from flange adjustment? They have had mine for ten days, and no word of when I will be getting it back.

Christian Schmeer

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm

John Brawley wrote:This FIX also breaks some lenses because it means those that have accurate witness mark, and hard stops at infinity will no longer be accurate once the BMCC is "fixed". A lot of lenses that haven't worked ALSO have versions that do...

jb

In what way would shortening the flange distance affect these accurate lenses? Wouldn't it just make them go past infinity?
www.christianschmeer.com
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography