Operation manual

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Cliff Whitney

Operation manual

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Is there an operation manual for Just the ATEM TV Studio HD? And does it come with the switcher?
One manual for ALL is not good for learning. I don't mind reading on the computer but don't confuse me with
all that other material.
Also, is the TV Studio HD being shipped? Haven't heard a word.
Thanks, Cliff

Xtreemtec

Re: Operation manual

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Cliff Whitney

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=59440

Thanks Daniel, I read all that but not much help. Maybe someone out there knows something more.
Cliff, in Charlotte, NC

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 9:02 pm

The point of the link was that there are no induvidual manuals.. And that more people are complaining about it..

There is more then often confusion about functions that are or not available in the newer hardware..

Like the USB capture function that once was on the OLD atem switchers.. THe OLD TVS had a h264 capture option.. The new one does not.. But people often think it has as it was on the previous version...
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Cliff Whitney

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 11:09 pm

OK, thanks, I understand. Doesn't sound good for many people considering buying into Blackmagic equipment. The gear sounds good but.......

Denny Smith

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 2:02 am

Tha manuals are not written for new users, a certain level of experience and video equipment knowledge is assumed. Sorry. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Cliff Whitney

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Tha manuals are not written for new users, a certain level of experience and video equipment knowledge is assumed. Sorry. :roll:
Cheers

Hi Denny, I would think that a manual WOULD be for new users. Even though I am a veteran of over 4 decades
of TV production, I can use good information on new equipment. Things change so quickly, I need to keep
on top of it, and that is by using, reading and asking questions.
I appreciate your input and answers very much.
Cliff

Denny Smith

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 4:25 pm

I agree (I have a similar background), and the manuals could be organized better and have more complete details. Reading through the ones I have, i can see they were written for experienced users, giving them the needed info in equipment specific features, and settings.

However, they are often incomplete I. Some areas, and without any experience, a new user reading these gets tough. Even with experience, sorting out some of the features or settings is not always straightforward for me either.

They look like they were written by an engineer who understands the gear, and leaves out what might be obvious details, he understands, and assumes we will too. I have done some tech writing and documentation, this is not always easy, especially if you are very familiar with the equipment, it is easy to miss details that a new user will really need.

Also, organization of the one-for-all manuals could be improved, with into on each camera and its features reviewed, then general info that is the same for all models, then break out the individual units by chapter, covering unit specific details. I think this would make the manuals quicker to use, especially for reference to using less used features.

Barry Green did a nice job of this with the AF100 manual he wrote, because the Panasonic "manual" was very cryptic and lacked details for a new user. Perhaps, this opens the door for a similar, "user" written operational manual similar to Barry's AF100 manual, which is a nice introduction to cinematography basics as well as camera specific settings, in addition to general camera operations, and some best practices suggestions. Given the Ursa Mini is being marketed to the same audience as the AF100 was marketed at.
Cheers
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started