Camera 4.4 Update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Robert Niessner

Re: Camera 4.4 Update

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 6:44 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote: The native iPhone camera app automatically adjusts white balance+tint to the scene it's exposing.

That's not correct. In the native iPhone camera app you can keep pressing your finger onto the screen until it will lock exposure, focus and white balance. On the right of the square is a little sun symbol which can be dragged up or down to change the fixed exposure.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Adam Silver

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 7:07 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Adam Silver wrote:I'm going to be shooting on Sunday and will use 4.3.1 first having someone use an iPhone to shoot the LCD while I'm shooting. Then I'll upgrade to 4.4 and shoot again and see if there is a change in the LCD monitor color.
Adam

You'll need to use an app like Filmic Pro that allows you to lock down the white balance on the iPhone to see any difference in color balance. The native iPhone camera app automatically adjusts white balance+tint to the scene it's exposing.

Thanks for letting me know about that, Jamie.

Adam

John Richard

Re: Camera 4.4 Update & Blackmagic Camera Control 1.0

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 1:16 pm

timbutt2 wrote:
Tim Schumann wrote:There hasn't been a lot of demand for DNx so far...
We get the occasional request for it but there has only been minor interest from a handful of people so far.

Regarding extra resolutions - we already support a massive amount of resolutions and formats on these cameras and are unlikely to add more resolution options.

I have had at least 2 clients who would have preferred recording in the DNx codec. There are some Windows based people I work with who would prefer to also have DNx for Post-Production over ProRes. If you guys could make it available it would at least help in those instances. Otherwise, I see your point about little demand.

Here is yet another vote for DNx please. And it was a BM promised codec.

Greg Huson

Re: Camera 4.4 Update - Apps I'd use!

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 2:15 am

Hey App Designers - I haven't looked at the correct page in the manual yet, but I assume you can access the meta data entry panel.

Can someone please make an app that's basically ONLY for the script supervisor or a PA? One that allows external entry of metadata like scene description, take number, etc. The kind of stuff that's useful, but no one in their right mind would sit and type into the camera using the touch screen.

Please.
GH
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Post Production / Production
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 3:07 am

Robert Niessner wrote:That's not correct. In the native iPhone camera app you can keep pressing your finger onto the screen until it will lock exposure, focus and white balance. On the right of the square is a little sun symbol which can be dragged up or down to change the fixed exposure.

That's cool. Didn't realize that. Thank you for the correction Robert :)
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Adam Silver

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 5:02 am

Daniel Rheaume wrote:
Adam Silver wrote:I also noticed that the LCD image coming from the sensor looks very red and blown out. When I look in the viewfinder, it looks perfect. It also records as expected.

Adam

Adam,
My Ursa Mini Pro also has a very noticeable color cast to it. To my eye, it almost looks like the LCD's color temperature is way too warm. Additionally, I get that oversaturated blown out effect you describe. To me, it almost looks as if you applied a film to rec.709 conversion LUT to footage already in Rec.709. I of course eliminated that possibility ;) Like you, the footage itself appears normal.

I have an open support ticket right now about this where the rep said that although their techs analyzed my pictures of the LCD vs a Ninja Blade and found there to be a large discrepancy, that this was within spec. He also stated there may be a possibility of improving LCD color in a future firmware update, but when I asked him if it was in development or not, I never received a confirmation about that.

Additionally, I took my UMPro to the Portland BM Roadshow to have them take a look. They also noticed a discrepancy, but said none of the screens are calibrated (to a standard like rec.709 I assume?), and that my color was not unusually bad.

I still think it looks pretty bad, and I could never trust it for any kind of color reference at this point, unlike my Canon DSLR LCD, which somehow was reasonably accurate.

Personally, I'm really hoping the firmware update is more than just "a future possibility"...

Hi Daniel,

I'm seeing the same thing, and I noticed a change after I upgraded my firmware. I didn't notice it at all using 4.3.1. I'm going to test it this Sunday with the old firmware versus the new firmware.

Adam

guy.pinto

Camera 4.4 Update drops frames

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:25 am

Hi,

I'm using my Ursa Mini Pro with the Atoch C2S (CFast to SSD adapter) and Samsung 850 Pro SSD's.
After upgrading to firmware v4.4 the camera is dropping frames only on CFast slot 1. The frames are being dropped even with lower CODECs, something that never happened in the past even not when recorded 4.6K RAW.

Slot 2 is working fine as usual.

Tried to check with other SSD's - still drops.
Tried connecting the SSD's to slot number 2 on the Atoch C2S and the cable to CFast slot 1 on the camera - still dropping frames, so it's not the Atoch.

What do you suggest?

Robert Niessner

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 12:20 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:That's not correct. In the native iPhone camera app you can keep pressing your finger onto the screen until it will lock exposure, focus and white balance. On the right of the square is a little sun symbol which can be dragged up or down to change the fixed exposure.

That's cool. Didn't realize that. Thank you for the correction Robert :)

You are welcome. I think the locking feature has been added with iOS7 and the manual exposure with iOS8.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

Camera 4.4 Update

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 12:01 am

Occasionally I would have audio silence for about ⅓" at the start of a couple of clips in a shoot. On a Wednesday, running with the 4.4 firmware on the URSA Mini 4.6K PL camera, recording 2K raw 3:1 60 fps, I had frequent problems with what seems it might be delayed audio from 20 to 40 frames but typically close to 30 frames off at the beginning of many clips. This makes for a lot more work in post. Getting concerned now and the camera is beyond warranty.

I'm using XLR In from the Sennheiser MKH416 and don't think that's the problem as the majority of clips are fine but I can't predict when one will have the delayed audio start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Michael Ellison

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 11:56 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:We are also not ruling out doing our own version of this for Android or iPhone if there is enough demand but iPad Mini is a good size for the interface and as we announced at NAB, that is what we are starting with.

An iPhone app would be great ! I have an SE, and would love if you could just clone the ursa mini screen so we have a video feed as well, thanks
Mick

Daniel Rheaume

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 4:49 am

May have found another bug, but I'm not in front of my camera right now to double check...

On 4.3.1 I was able to have my front SDI send a signal with LUT applied.
Tried to do this the other day on a shoot with 4.4 installed and I could not get the feed to display the LUT. Moving the SDI cable to the rear SDI provided me with a feed with LUT applied.

I checked my settings to make sure I was sending the right things to the front SDI, and everything appeared normal, though it's possible I missed something. I'll check this again in the coming days.

Thanks!
-Daniel

Daniel Rheaume

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 4:53 am

Adam Silver wrote:
Daniel Rheaume wrote:
Adam Silver wrote:I also noticed that the LCD image coming from the sensor looks very red and blown out. When I look in the viewfinder, it looks perfect. It also records as expected.

Adam

Adam,
My Ursa Mini Pro also has a very noticeable color cast to it. To my eye, it almost looks like the LCD's color temperature is way too warm. Additionally, I get that oversaturated blown out effect you describe. To me, it almost looks as if you applied a film to rec.709 conversion LUT to footage already in Rec.709. I of course eliminated that possibility ;) Like you, the footage itself appears normal.

I have an open support ticket right now about this where the rep said that although their techs analyzed my pictures of the LCD vs a Ninja Blade and found there to be a large discrepancy, that this was within spec. He also stated there may be a possibility of improving LCD color in a future firmware update, but when I asked him if it was in development or not, I never received a confirmation about that.

Additionally, I took my UMPro to the Portland BM Roadshow to have them take a look. They also noticed a discrepancy, but said none of the screens are calibrated (to a standard like rec.709 I assume?), and that my color was not unusually bad.

I still think it looks pretty bad, and I could never trust it for any kind of color reference at this point, unlike my Canon DSLR LCD, which somehow was reasonably accurate.

Personally, I'm really hoping the firmware update is more than just "a future possibility"...

Hi Daniel,

I'm seeing the same thing, and I noticed a change after I upgraded my firmware. I didn't notice it at all using 4.3.1. I'm going to test it this Sunday with the old firmware versus the new firmware.

Adam

Thanks for the reply, Adam.
I definitely experienced it on 4.3.1 on my camera, but I think to a lesser degree. It seems to have gotten worse after 4.4, but I cannot be sure about that because I didn't take before and afters or look at it purposefully. I just recall hoping that it would be better with 4.4 and feeling like if anything it was more pronounced.
I installed 4.3.1 when I first got the camera before really using it at all, so I had no reference prior to that.

Thanks!
-Daniel

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 3:08 pm

May not be helpful, as I primarily rely upon my BM Viewfinder, but I haven't noticed any change in the images on my LCD under Camera Update 4.4 on the UM4.6K PL camera.

Rick Lang

Adam Silver

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 2:44 am

I was wrong about my LCD screen on my UMP having a red tint and image looking blown out on 4.4. I rolled back to 4.3.1, and the screen looked exactly the same. The issue is with my LCD screen. I rarely use it. I use the URSA Viewfinder 99% of the time.

I'm going to contact support about it on Wednesday.

Adam

thomas bruegger

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 7:50 am

still no hotfix for Firmware 4.4 and the audio level reset bug..... its really bad! i wonder how many audio recordings got screwed because of that.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

James Alexander Barnett

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 9:01 am

Not sure it this is related to the new firmware, but I had a fault line through some of my recorded footage yesterday (sort of like dead pixels), will upload examples when I get chance, fortunately a power cycle corrected it and it went back to normal.
James Alexander Barnett
www.jamesalexanderdp.co.uk
URSA Mini 4.6k
Pocket 6k Pro

Johannes Jonsson

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 10:52 am

It would be great I think getting those grate scopes that were added to Video Assist with the 2,5 firmware? I would like to see them in URSA :)
Johannes

Florian Duning

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi,

I have also got a short line of faulty pixels in a few interviews I shot today. It was below the center of the image and mostly visible during darker images as a very dark cluster/line of pixels and nearly invisible in brighter shots. After a battery change it went back to normal. I've only noticed it after the shoot.
My hard nearly stopped, because i thought it is permanent damaged, but until now I could not reproduce the glitch.

I am on firmware 4.4 and it has never happened before. Not sure if it is firmware related or not.

Best regards,
Florian

Daniel Rheaume

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 1:03 am

Adam Silver wrote:I was wrong about my LCD screen on my UMP having a red tint and image looking blown out on 4.4. I rolled back to 4.3.1, and the screen looked exactly the same. The issue is with my LCD screen. I rarely use it. I use the URSA Viewfinder 99% of the time.

I'm going to contact support about it on Wednesday.

Adam

Adam,
Would love to hear what they say, because they weren't much help when I reported mine. Please let us know what they think about your LCD.

Thanks!
-Daniel

Adam Silver

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 2:13 am

Will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Alexander Barnett

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 7:51 am

Here is a screen grab of the interview I did when I noticed the problem, as mentioned I'm not sure if its v4.4 related however I have never seen this before and it went away after a power cycle.

At first I thought it was a problem with the LCD, however the line was in the viewfinder too so I instantly thought not good, let hope this doesn't start happening frequently.

Fault Line.jpg
Fault Line.jpg (296.67 KiB) Viewed 15490 times

Fault Line Enlaged 01.jpg
Fault Line Enlaged 01.jpg (426.77 KiB) Viewed 15490 times

Fault Line Enlaged 02.jpg
Fault Line Enlaged 02.jpg (475.78 KiB) Viewed 15490 times
James Alexander Barnett
www.jamesalexanderdp.co.uk
URSA Mini 4.6k
Pocket 6k Pro

Florian Duning

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 am

This looks nearly identical to my "pixel defect". Mostly visible in darker parts, nearly invisible in brighter areas. Also went away after a power cycle. It first showed up in a shot after the camera was close to a magnetic HMI ballast while striking the HMI. Maybe it was some kind of electromagnetic interference that got stuck in the sensor signal path or it is indeed firmware related. I am also running 4.4 and was unable to reproduce this issue since the one time it happened.

Adam Silver

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 4:56 am

I wanted to update you all on my stupidity. I claimed that I had issues with my LCD on my UMP after updating to 4.4. Well, I went back to 4.3.1 and discovered that I had the same issue, What I wasn't paying attention to was that a 3D LUT was activated on the LCD only. I apparently saved that setting to one of my profiles, and so even when resetting everything, I would activate the profile and that one setting would turn on.

Ugh. Sorry for not being as thorough as I should have been.

Adam

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 5:25 am

Thanks for confirming Adam. Glad you got it sorted.

Yes you always need to be wary of if you are looking with a 3D LUT applied or not and if it is the right LUT because a LUT for the wrong Dynamic Range settings can totally change how your image looks.

There should be no color difference at all on your camera between 4.3.1 and 4.4 on the LCD.

Daniel Rheaume

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 12:32 am

Adam,
Thanks for the update! We must have been experiencing different issues, because my camera
exhibited the behavior without any presets or LUTS applied. Hearing yours was just user error, I guess I'll be accepting the (to me) unusually warm color temperature of my UMPro's LCD.

Also, as an update to my possible bug find when trying to send a LUT through the front SDI - It worked fine when I shot yesterday, so who knows. Maybe the camera just needed a reset or something that day?

All concerns aside, I love this company and their products. I feel so lucky to get to use these kind of tools!
- Daniel

Adam Silver

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 4:14 am

Tim Schumann wrote:Thanks for confirming Adam. Glad you got it sorted.

Yes you always need to be wary of if you are looking with a 3D LUT applied or not and if it is the right LUT because a LUT for the wrong Dynamic Range settings can totally change how your image looks.

There should be no color difference at all on your camera between 4.3.1 and 4.4 on the LCD.

No problem, Tim. I'm going to wait until the audio volume adjustment is fixed in 4.4.1. It's not a huge deal, but I know I'll forget to change it after booting up the camera. :)

Adam

PS Thanks for being so active on the forum and helping us all out.

Ivon Visalli

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 12:18 am

Adam Silver wrote:PS Thanks for being so active on the forum and helping us all out.

Yes, Tim, thank you for spending time on the forum.

Also, one more vote for DNx.

Frank Glencairn

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Just found out, that the iris on my Canon 17-55 2.8 isn't working anymore with the latest update.
Anybody else run into the same problem?
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 6:09 pm

With a secure format of the SSD, you've written zero to every block so the device is ready to Write when you record without having the extra initial step of needing to do an Erase.

Rick Lang

Marc Martinez

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 11:57 pm

Hey guys. I cant get iPad Camera Control to recognize my UMP.

I've just updated UMP to 4.4. Turned Bluetooth ON. Launched Camera Control. It just hangs on "Searching for cameras...." Tried different combinations of launching devices. Rebooting with switch as well as buttons. Turning Bluetooth on and off. All the usual troubleshooting options.

Any thoughts?

Brand new iPad (5). UMP 4.4 Camera Control App 1.0

Marc Bartholomew

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 5:04 pm

The iPad control is fine and all but I find that carrying around an iPad is a pain and kind of defeats the purpose of the remote functionality. Any plans to get the app on an iPhone? I use two cameras several times a week for interviews and I could really see mounting an old iPhone with a little selfie mount to the main camera to control the second. Between that and the existing PGM/SDI input switch to see the other frame it would actually be the bomb.

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 6:06 pm

Did you turn Bluetooth Off and On on the iPad? Loaded the app to see if there are any user settings. The only setting is Location Services which doesn't hurt to have On or Off. I can connect from my iPad to my iMac more than 30' away, so it's not likely a fault of the iPad's Bluetooth service. Are you very close to the camera with nothing likely interfering? Good luck!

Rick Lang

Marc Martinez

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 6:43 pm

The Camera Control app is using location. iPad is updated to latest OS. Running BMC 4.4 on UMP 4.6. Turned Bluetooth on/off on iPad, on camera. iPad is next to camera. Reset the UMP to factory settings. Nada.

Curious as to why the Camera Control app doesn't recognize the UMP.

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Houston, we may have a problem. On second thought, not a good time to call Houston. Try BMD Support.

Does your Mac 'see' the camera when it has Bluetooth On? It should show I think.

Rick Lang

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 11:31 pm

rick.lang wrote:Houston, we may have a problem. On second thought, not a good time to call Houston. Try BMD Support.

:lol:
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

thomas bruegger

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:08 am

Adam Silver wrote:Uh oh. Found a bug. Every time I turn the camera off then on again, the audio levels are reset. I'm using XLR 1, and I normally have the levels set at 70 and the headphones at 9. When I turn the camera off then on, it resets the levels and headphone level all to 50.

Wonder why there is still no fixed firmware, or is there?
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

James Parker

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 2:40 pm

I was wondering the same thing

J.Parker

timbutt2

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 3:24 pm

thomas bruegger wrote:Wonder why there is still no fixed firmware, or is there?

James Parker wrote:I was wondering the same thing

If I had to speculate: SSD Module Release. My best guess is that we will see a firmware update at the same time the SSD Module is released in order to add support for it. Any and all other fixes and improvements will happen in that single release.

My fingers are still crossed for DNx codecs, and as well for the shutter speed option to be available because I'm tired of seeing that greyed out option when I'm in that page of the menu. I will still use the Shutter Angle, but would like that greyed out Shutter Speed to become an option or be removed to make room for another setting option.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Adam Silver

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 pm

I honestly expected 4.4.1 out a couple weeks after 4.4 to squash the bugs. :(

Adam

Nicolas Yuste

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 8:49 am

I installed 4.4 and can´t find the camera on my Ipad

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Nicholas have you followed the instructions in the manual?

You need to install the Camera Control app, ensure you have bluetooth on your iPad switched on and then also make sure the Bluetooth on the camera is switched on. Once you have done this open the app and the opening screen should show you any URSA Mini Pro's in the area that have Bluetooth switched on.

Patrick Acum

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am

thomas bruegger wrote:
Adam Silver wrote:Uh oh. Found a bug. Every time I turn the camera off then on again, the audio levels are reset. I'm using XLR 1, and I normally have the levels set at 70 and the headphones at 9. When I turn the camera off then on, it resets the levels and headphone level all to 50.

Would be great to have this sorted out asap. I've swapped over to my mini, where the levels stay put in the mean time

Nicolas Yuste

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks Tim Schumann, I have on both the camera and the ipad, but I have not run the program, I thought that as with any other device, it was necessary to link them before.

I will try to launch the application without linking before

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Nicolas Yuste wrote:Thanks Tim SchumannI will try to launch the application without linking before
Follow the instructions in the manual. You do not need to link it prior to entering the app.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Patrick Acum wrote:
thomas bruegger wrote:

Would be great to have this sorted out asap. I've swapped over to my mini, where the levels stay put in the mean time

Camera 4.5 is now live on our support site. It has the fix for this bug, some fixes for some of the EF lenses that we lost compatibility with in 4.4 as well as a bunch of other features for Mini Pro.

Jim Giberti

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 7:35 pm

Please, one update for the BMMCC - the ability to map focus peaking to a button. It's one of the primary features and one some of the best peaking in the business, but virtually useless buried in a menu with Lilliputian buttons to battle.

Chris Lands

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 6:24 am

Hi !
Received my new UM4KEF (bm july 2017) fw 4.4 a few weeks ago and noticed that my
ef 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM didnt work with auto or manuell focus... seems like no power from camera to focusmotor in the lens. Its a stm type lead screw...
Tested on my 5DM3 and it works perfect !

My other lenses ef 24mm/2.8 (panncake) STM perfect
ef 50mm f/1.8 ll perfect
ef 85mm f/1.8 usm perfect

Are there problems with the STM lenses with lead screw type or is it a camera fw issue ?
couldnt find any uppdate on Canon site for the lens.
Best regards
Chris
Previous

Return to Cinematography