Ursa Mini Pro Android app

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nick Gombinsky

Ursa Mini Pro Android app

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 2:25 pm

This thread is to express the interest and need for an Android app.

I know that in the US and many developed countries the iPhone is very popular and maybe even a norm among filmmakers (there are so many cool apps only for iPhones!)... but in the rest of the world, Android is king.

I have an Android phone and I'm not thinking about changing that in the near future...
...that is, unless I stop saving money for the next Blackmagic camera :D

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Re: Ursa Mini Pro Android app

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 8:57 pm

We are releasing an SDK so of course there will be an Android app.

Nick Gombinsky

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 9:08 pm

My work here is done.

Dennis Sørensen

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Also Nick... The App is not out for iPhone.. Only iPad. So you are not the only one suffering.

Emilian Dechev

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Any new developments for ursa mini pro Android app?

Dennis Sørensen

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Emilian Dechev wrote:Any new developments for ursa mini pro Android app?

Or just the SDK...

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Nick Gombinsky wrote:This thread is to express the interest and need for an Android app.

I know that in the US and many developed countries the iPhone is very popular and maybe even a norm among filmmakers (there are so many cool apps only for iPhones!)... but in the rest of the world, Android is king.

I have an Android phone and I'm not thinking about changing that in the near future...
...that is, unless I stop saving money for the next Blackmagic camera :D

Nick the real problem of android is that not... exist, the king that you name is not a king, is a group of brands that produce their version of original googles' android.
If you ever develop for ios or android you could understand why people develop for ios and less for android.
Do you want some reasons?
- android mean since 5 main brand (samsung, sony, lg, huawei, panasonic, and more), every brand customize in hard way the communication between bt and wi-fi. and not only.
- android mean hundred of kind of cpu, mainboard, and more... performance and optimization is an hell
- every brand add deamons (process) that sometimes grab and overwrite app memory, that mean you see killed your app, your communication without reasons.
- android mean that often you don't know real free memory you have, be cause some brand use more base ram than space, other use something like false ram (sdd space to emulate ram) with lock on permittion
- android mean you have less control and less security about memory and managment of data.

ios mean since 5-6 device, no more, and onestly usually you see on real market 3 real device (cpu mainbord couple, display size variant not are important) and all of that problems listed below disappear.
you have a single SDK to work, on android you must follow google and brand sdk, is not so simple to manage.

an example of problem with android communication?
new car bt communication, bt voice in and out work per app, you not have a global BT protocol, that mean :
i have 3 brand android phone (s8 samsung, z5 sony, g5 lg), no one use completely BT of my new car (model 2017).
Z5 you can call and answer, but if you use ok google, phone ear from Car but you cannot ear the answer, whatapp call work audio out but mic not work.
G5 call answer work, ok google nothing, whatapp call ok mic but i not ear
s8 work all with except of ok google that not ear my voice...

my old iphone 4s (2010) work fine all...
i talk with all brands (i often work for them) and they admit that all customize communication for "optimization" and not car developer are aware about their changment...

android is a great os, but is worst implemented on most of devices.
Ask to you why you need an octacore to call, to browse internet, shoot photos, videos, when most of our cameras have less power cpus...
i tried to develop for android for two years, the result was that i waste my time, i founded a lots of bugs never closed, and app not work fine like under ios on less power device.

I understand why less good app under android and better on ios, are simplier to develop, and... if you develop paying app, under android most of people that i know not want to pay and search hacked app, under ios you could jailbreak the phone, but is bit more complex to find hacked app, and you can earn more money from your developer work.

Oli Koos

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Still no news on an android app?

I would pay money for it, if anyone is considering writing an app.

Uli Plank

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 1:44 am

You may wait forever, the market is not worth the effort.

Get a used iPad and be happy, if you really need that remote control.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Richard Thompson

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 4:37 pm

I would also like an android app. Not sure about the market not being worth it statement. Apple themselves admit that they only have 33% of the mobile phone market globally and that 85% of that is because of the US. I didn't realize BM's only market was the US

On a side note when will we be able to stream a vid signal back from cam to IPAD? I can do it with Filmic on two I/apple devices

Slipoch

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 2:37 am

So at it's peak, internationally Apple is currently sitting at about 25-30% whereas droid is basically the rest. It is not particularly hard to program for.

Just so you know, my main job is as a programmer and I am developing cross-platform apps at the moment.

In correction to the above misinformation: Android is one OS, there are different plugins and frontend themes made by different providers, but the core of the OS is the same, some manufacturers will provide additional SDKs for interfacing with some of the hardware, but you do not have to use them.. The vast majority of programs are developed for android. Also daemons should NOT be overwriting your memory space if you have allocated the RAM correctly.

The example given about BT communication is a red herring (as is most of that post), typically the problem they are describing is to do with the model of BT in use (BT is rubbish anyway, use wifi wherever possible, only use BT is no other choice as it is highly unreliable), I have used most of the droid phones with about 4 different car models and have not had a major issue connecting. BUT I do work with BT every week on industry devices and the amount of issues caused by BT LE, BT 4+ vs older BT are huge.

Please note I have used several different methods for programming for Android, the official SDKs, Xamarin & using my own C++ library & OpenGL.

I would make an app to do this on phone and tablet, but have only been looking into buying a BMD camera and don't have one to test.

etx313

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 6:06 pm

Woah zombie thread.

Two apps are available for Android now. One of them is by me and I believe the other developer is active on this forum as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... icwireless

pulalis

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 9:17 pm

etx313 wrote:Woah zombie thread.

Two apps are available for Android now. One of them is by me and I believe the other developer is active on this forum as well.

I bought the app. I really like. it's very compatible with the olympus 12-40mm lens

Oli Koos

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 10:06 pm

etx313 wrote:Woah zombie thread.

I tested your app with the Ursa mini pro, but does not really work, it crashes the camera, after reboot, you can control some parameters of the camera with the app, but the GUI of the app does not update. :-/

Craig Sawyer

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 11:27 pm

Richard Thompson wrote:
On a side note when will we be able to stream a vid signal back from cam to IPAD? I can do it with Filmic on two I/apple devices

The Ursa doesn’t have WiFi, only Bluetooth. When you use the control monitoring mode on Filmic Pro it’s using the WiFi network. Bluetooth doesn’t have sufficient bandwidth or for live video streaming.
URSA Mini Pro G1, BMPCC6K x 2, BMPCC4K, ATEM Mini Pro

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 8:51 am

Nick Gombinsky wrote:This thread is to express the interest and need for an Android app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cc4krecord

Works fine with the URSA Mini Pro and the Pocket 4K.
(I have a user helping me with the UMP.)

Only downside is that the 4.5K resolution can only be selected on the camera itself.
not via Bluetooth. But that's a limitation of the camera Bluetooth protocol.
(I have reported it last year and an internal ticket has been opened to fix this oversight in "a future firmware".)

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 8:57 am

etx313 wrote:... I believe the other developer is active on this forum as well.

That would be me. I'm here every now and then.

Return to Cinematography