Aurum Ultra Series - High HDMI Cable (100 ft)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

HJB

Aurum Ultra Series - High HDMI Cable (100 ft)

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Wanted to know if anyone have tried the "Aurum Ultra Series - High HDMI Cable (100 ft) w/ Built-in Signal Booster" to connect their cameras to the ATEM TS unit? I saw this cable at the amazon store today and wanted to give it a try...there is another brand with similar to it...(BlueRigger HDMI Cable (100 ft) w/ Built-in Signal Booster)

What is the brand and length HDMI cable that worked for you?

Fred Rodrigues

Re: Aurum Ultra Series - High HDMI Cable (100 ft)

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 11:39 am

I know this is a cheap solution but if you want real reliability invest in a pair of HDMI to SDI and SDI to HDMI convertors (you may well only need one of these as you can use the SDI ins or AUX SDI outs on your atem (BM even make battery powered convertors so you dont need power on your camera). Long HDMI may work ok but the cables are not reliable or flexible, you may well get dropouts in a show that you did not get in tests. In the end if you want your picture to be solid and good all the time use SDI for long runs, you can carry a whole stack of short HDMI cables for the last links, the HDMI connectors do not lock and wear out fast with the weight of a heavy cable- you have a good chance at damaging the HDMI output on your device (I am speaking from experience, I had to get the connector replaced on a camera and for the cost of this repair I could have bought the convertor). BM will not support you with problems with long cables. I understand the temptation, the initial cost is low and I fell for the same temptation but speaking from experience dont do it- you can actually save money in the long run by doing it properly now- and these little boxes can come in very handy for other applications. Also the directional nature of the cable means you now have another place for things to go wrong in setup, imagine you get an assistant to help setup and then you have to stop and re-do you very long cable run.

So not really the answer to your question, no I have not tried them but stay away from this kind of stuff if you can.

Fred
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Yesterday I tried a HDMI Booster at ATEM imputs - it didn't work. Same camera with same cable and booster connected to th TV worked fine. So my assumption is, that ATEM gives not not enough energy / no power for operating the repeaters.

discussed here: http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4992

If it is true, your cable (with integrated booster) could only work with external power supply....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Justin Strauber

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 4:37 pm

We use HDMI over Cat5/Cat6 extenders to go 190ft. It takes two Cat6 to go the full distance, but Cat5e should work at 100ft. It's around $40 for the pair of adapters, and only the receiving side needs to be powered.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

They have a more expensive version that can supposedly go up to 300ft.

HJB

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 5:40 am

Thank you, that was a good lead. Never heard of HDMI/Cat extenders. I will definitely look into that.

Jahntassa wrote:We use HDMI over Cat5/Cat6 extenders to go 190ft. It takes two Cat6 to go the full distance, but Cat5e should work at 100ft. It's around $40 for the pair of adapters, and only the receiving side needs to be powered.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

They have a more expensive version that can supposedly go up to 300ft.

RedElementLive

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 7:05 am

I've got a couple of these cables from Amazon and I've never had any problem with them. Some people say they would never go 100ft on HDMI, but it seems to work for me with the ATEM 1M/E. I even combine them with the HDMI to SDI converter and attach a 200ft HDSDI cable for a total length of 300ft.

Note that the boosted HDMI cables are directional.

Return to Live Production