DaVinci Resolve 12.5.5 detects wrong frame rate

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rafael Lima

DaVinci Resolve 12.5.5 detects wrong frame rate

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm having a problem importing files to daVinci.

I've made several videos with my cellphone

All the videos were made at same day with the same settings, the cuts between them were made just to be easier to edit short clips.

but when i import panel for some reason davinci missread the frame rate [as shown in the picture]

the result is an strange playback of that clip, and after sometime the audio/video get tottaly unsynchronized.

if i try to right click the clip -> clip attributes -> and manually set the frame rate

the result is even worse, the video is played as fast foward (but the audio keeps original speed, so it gets even more unsynchronized)

it happens just to some videos, but all of them were made, same day/ same cellphone camera/ same settings

and all videos play fine in any video player in my computer and even in vsdc (that is a simple video editor)

i've tried everything, unninstall and reinstall, change project settings, edit video metadata

NO RESULTS

does anyone know the reason of this bug and how to fix it?

One thing i got is always the WRONG value is shown less than the original frame rate,
Attachments
Captura de tela 2017-04-21 00.27.01.png
Captura de tela 2017-04-21 00.27.01.png (726.31 KiB) Viewed 1468 times

Rain Saarmäe

Re: DaVinci Resolve 12.5.5 detects wrong frame rate

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 8:28 pm

I have the same issue.

I have several clips, all shot at 30 fps, as reported by any media player and the playback is smooth. All are shot with the same camera.

But for three clips out of nine, Resolve sees the frame rates as 16, 22 and 28 and the playback is really choppy, both in the editor and when rendered. And these faulty clips are not shot one after another, but they are mixed in with the good ones, so it can't just be that the camera had some faulty settings one unlucky day.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 4:26 am

Cell phones often record with a variable frame rate so you need to convert them to a fixed and standard frame rate before bringing into Resolve.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

John Paines

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Some h.264 files -- other than variable rate material from cell phones -- do appear to exhibit this behavior in 12.5.x, and in the 14 betas as well. The files can play speeded up in the source viewer and slowed down in the program monitor, and show incorrect frame rates inside Resolve.

As of b5, it looked like the issue was fixed, but I didn't investigate closely, since the material in this case isn't camera original and the origins were unknown, could be anything. The files do play correctly in vlc, however.

mkoster

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 10:59 am

i know this is old, but i have the same issue with nvidia capured gameplay. it should be 1080p 60fps according to mediainfo, however some are shown as 58fps and all over. so it seems to still be an issue in latest resolve

Kenzo

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 11:26 am

mkoster wrote:i know this is old, but i have the same issue with nvidia capured gameplay. it should be 1080p 60fps according to mediainfo, however some are shown as 58fps and all over. so it seems to still be an issue in latest resolve

varibale framerate
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Uli Plank

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 4:23 am

VFR is an issue of smartphones and some screen recording software under heavy load.
Most professional NLEs don't like that.

Recently, I noticed that OBS is doing a pretty good job recording CFR if the machine is not too challenged. But the perfect solution is an external recorder.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 3:38 pm

mkoster wrote:i have the same issue with nvidia capured gameplay
For screen recordings you intend to edit, I recommend hardware recorders.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ideoassist
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve