Feature Request - Normalise Audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tristan Pemberton

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Please, is there any possibility that Resolve can have the ability to normalise audio added to the timeline?

It's really a standard feature on every NLE and DAW I've ever used, and really adds to the workload when using DaVinci as it's not there. I'm surprised that it's not part of the Fairlight package.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Michael McCaffrey

Re: Feature Request - Normalise Audio

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 1:28 pm

I agree. I noticed this was missing from Resolve. I use it all the time in Premiere.
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Steve Alexander

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Is this not part of the dynamics module in Fairlight (a track effect, not clip effect) - maybe I don't know what you mean by 'normalize'.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Fusion Studio 18.6.5 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.3.1

Daz Wood

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 10:27 pm

It would be nice to be able to set normalising to dialogue or music set by LUFS
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Tristan Pemberton

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 12:15 am

Steve Alexander wrote:Is this not part of the dynamics module in Fairlight (a track effect, not clip effect) - maybe I don't know what you mean by 'normalize'.

The simplest explanation of Normalise means to analyse every clip individually, and then adjust gain (volume) so the highest peak of each clip are the same value. This is great place to start editing audio when you have lots of clips with different sources/subjects in varying sound environments.

This is not the same as applying an effect to a channel.

My usual workflow for editing interviews is to normalise all clips, then apply a limiter. This can sometimes get me 95% of the way to having finished, usable interviews for documentary. And in FCP/Premiere that could take me 30 secs to do. Currently in Resolve that could take me an hour or more to do the same task.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 3:04 am

In any controlled shooting situation in which audio is expected to be consistent, that would be a nice feature. But, like the usefulness of the white point auto balance, there are many situations where different audio levels are appropriate. So a good option, but you'll still need to adjust every audio clip in some situations.

Auto ducking is another potentially useful feature, but I tend to raise and lower levels on multiple sound tracks as appropriate for where I want one sound heard over other sound. It's not consistent again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Bryan Worsley

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 3:12 am

I'd love to see an Audio Normalization effect in Resolve also.

Presently I use Audacity which has an excellent normalization function that allows one to set the maximum normalization amplitude (doesn't automatically normalize to 0db as some video editors with a 'normalize' audio effect do) and gives the option to normalize stereo channels independently or together.

But Audacity only works with extracted/converted WAV audio (although can be configured to work with ffmpeg import/export libraries), and if you plan on normalizing the audio of each scene separately (as I sometimes do) it means either processing each source clip before editing/grading in Resolve or else extracting the audio tracks from the rendered edit and splitting them up by scene in Audacity - rather tedious without the aid of visual cues. Much better if this could be applied to individual clips on the Resolve timeline.

This YouTube video gives a nice little overview of audio normalization as it applied in Audacity compared to what is available in Resolve i.e. amplification.

Edit:
rick.lang wrote: So a good option, but you'll still need to adjust every audio clip in some situations.

Agree with you entirely Rick. Also in some situations you may want to preserve intentional differences in peak levels between clips and tracks. To do that in Audacity you would select them as a group and use the Amplify effect rather than Normalize so as to preserve the relative balance.
Last edited by Bryan Worsley on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott Gilbertson

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Bryan Worsley wrote:I'd love to see an Audio Normalization effect in Resolve also.

Presently I use Audacity ... only works with extracted/converted WAV audio

+1 your idea for an Audacity round-trip or integration feature in Resolve :D
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Xeon W3680, 48GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050

Bryan Worsley

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 3:34 pm

I was thinking more of a built-in Audio Normalization feature set akin to that in Audacity rather than integration with Audacity per se.

This article explains more fully the way the Normalize and Amplify effects work in Audacity:

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/amplify_and_normalize.html

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 4:10 pm

I do like the Amplify option with parameters to control levels. I wasn't aware of that, so thanks, Bryan. Resolve is feature rich, but they're always working on enhancements. Especially when they buy a product, they are determined to make it even better when they integrate it with Resolve, so in time, this might be a feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

John Paines

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Normalization is a standard and assumed feature in professional audio applications. That's it's currently missing from the Fairlight page isn't criminal, but it's surprising.

Dan Sherman

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 6:55 pm

I currently use Ffmpeg and Auphonic to processes all my source clips. and it would be amazing to have the capability of Auphonic or something similar built into DR.

My current workflow is as follows.
  1. I run a batch script that runs ffmpeg on every file in a directory to pull the audio out into wav files.
  2. I batch process all the extracted audio files through Auphonic. (Loundness normalization, leveling, & NR)
  3. I use ffmpeg to copy the video from the original files, and the audio streams from the processed files into a new "corrected" source file.

It's about a half dozen mouse clicks in total, it doesn't matter if it's one clip, or one hundred. It's really fast, but it does chew up disk space as I've essentially got 2 copies of every clip.

If DR was able to do it on the fly, even as a paid add on it would be well worth the price.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Bryan Worsley

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 6:57 pm

John Paines wrote:Normalization is a standard and assumed feature in professional audio applications. That's it's currently missing from the Fairlight page isn't criminal, but it's surprising.

I'm using Resolve lite (and still 12.5 for now), but I agree it's surprising that Fairlight doesn't include an audio normalization feature.

Bryan Worsley

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 4:41 am

BTW, I don't use Premiere Pro, but I've researched a little to see how it handles audio normalization:

https://larryjordan.com/articles/premiere-pro-cc-set-gain-vs-normalization/

Based on the descriptions of the two 'normalize' options in the Gain Dialog it would appear that:

"Normalize All Peaks To" basically does the same thing as the "Normalize" effect in Audacity i.e. "This alters the gain of EACH selected clip by different amounts such that the loudest peak in each clip is set to the amount that you specify. This evens out the levels of all selected clips so that they all have about the same volume", except that Audacity also gives options to normalize stereo channels independently and correct for DC offset.

Whereas "Normalize Max Peak To" functions like one facet of the "Amplify" effect in Audacity i.e. "This alters the gain of ALL selected clips by the same amount such that the loudest peak of all the clips is set to the amount that you specify. This setting maintains the relative volume between all the clips"

In the Audacity Amplify effect this Max Peak Value is represented by the New Peak Amplitude value which by default is set to 0db, but can be adjusted as desired. Audacity then auto-calculates the amplification (gain db) needed to maximize the volume of the loudest track or channel and will apply that amount of amplification to all selected tracks and/or channels. So like "Normalize Max Peak To" it preserves the relative volumes of the selected tracks and/or channels.

Audacity doesn't actually report what the Peak Amplitude of the selected clips is before adjustment, like Premiere does, but that can be derived simply by deducting the calculated Amplification value from the New Peak Amplitude value, so you are basically getting the same information.

So I think we are talking about the same two forms of 'normalization' here and that what we are hoping for is a 'Gain' feature set in Resolve that offers these optional modalities, is it not ?

Sam Steti

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 7:29 am

Hey,

I read here that some found workarounds in all kinds of pieces of software they appreciate, and it's great.
I can also agree on Audacity or ffmpeg, free and efficient like Handbrake for encoding in h264/65. I also have a bunch of audio utilities which are relevant for those actions, like Soundtrack Pro for example...

Great... However, these are workarounds, that's to say it's supposed to cope with the lack in Resolve, therefore you're still supposed to get out Resolve to achieve it. I understood in the OP that this request should exist IN resolve, and I totally agree (all the more now that I'm into dozens of multicam shows).
So +1 for - even a basic - normalise audio track in Resolve.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Bryan Worsley

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 4:57 am

Sam Steti wrote:So +1 for - even a basic - normalise audio track in Resolve.

Depends what you mean by 'basic'. As I commented above, some of the consumer level NLE's out there, like Corel VideoStudio 'Pro' (but not really Pro) and Cyberlink Power Director have a 'normalize' audio effect that will automatically adjust the peak amplitude of selected clips to 0db, but would you really be content with such a limited function? I know I wouldn't, at least not in the Studio version of DR.

Sam Steti

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 8:46 am

Yep Bryan, the gain factor is what I thought about when I wrote. You can basically "normalize" the volume of each audio of a track by setting it in its track curve icon in Resolve or on the audio clip, this indeed won't help.

What I meant by "basic" was actually ANY tool (then also basic) which would allow - with the fewer clicks possible - to listen to a track without volume and gain issues, so that you're not forced to get at it before a 1st quick view of the track...

Say I have 30 audio clips on a track, 3 on another, 10 on a 3d...
First I'd like to be sure that no issue will occur on each track (=> listening to one track only won't show 13 clips playing louder than the 17 others for instance); then I would touch the volume of each track to adjust the global audio so that when clips from those 3 different tracks play together (say music, talk and ambiance), everything is ok...
Note that the quality of the first tool has a direct consequence on the second action : the more it is efficient, the more track volumes of Resolve are enough in the next step.
So yes, sometimes the peak volume of every audio clip is the same on the whole track but the gain changes so much from one clip to another that it's impossible to rely on it.
Also note that it's not supposed to replace audio fine tuning (ie in fairlight panel) and imho it's important to find it in the Edit page, on the track side...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Daz Wood

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 11:08 pm

Just normalising audio to max peak is pointless as any irregular peaks in an audio file will limit the files volume unless clipping or limiting is allowed to happen. Also peak normalising can be counter productive as the base level of a bunch of clips will get randomized leading to unnatural background levels jumping up and down in dialogue across the audio files. A much better way to handle sound levels should be to use EBU R128 specs and normalise to a Loudness Units Fall Scale setting, for instance a target Level of -23.0 LUFS to get a average loudness.
Thank you

Daz
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

greghooper

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 12:45 am

Daz Wood wrote:Just normalising audio to max peak is pointless as any irregular peaks in an audio file will limit the files volume unless clipping or limiting is allowed to happen. Also peak normalising can be counter productive as the base level of a bunch of clips will get randomized leading to unnatural background levels jumping up and down in dialogue across the audio files. A much better way to handle sound levels should be to use EBU R128 specs and normalise to a Loudness Units Fall Scale setting, for instance a target Level of -23.0 LUFS to get a average loudness.

I agree re random spikes ruining peak normalising on raw recordings - average loudness is the better way. Either that or clean the audio up first with some sort of limiting or hand editing (which is what I do a I want to examine the audio in detail upfront anyway).

Re using Audacity and round tripping vs using the internal Fairlight audio functions. Fairlight is a great addition but is unlikely to compete with dedicated software such as Izotope RX any time soon for things like spectral processing / noise reduction - and quite reasonably so. One of the advantages of Premiere is the tight integration with Audition and it would be great to see Resolve allow for better integration with any external editor. I am still testing workflows but not being able to easily jump between Resolve and RX might be a deal breaker for me. At the moment it looks like a rough audio track cut to video in Resolve, then export to Reaper using Vordio then back in to Resolve. But something like the Premiere/Audition workflow would be better

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 2:14 am

Daz Wood wrote:Just normalising audio to max peak is pointless as any irregular peaks in an audio file will limit the files volume unless clipping or limiting is allowed to happen. Also peak normalising can be counter productive as the base level of a bunch of clips will get randomized leading to unnatural background levels jumping up and down in dialogue across the audio files.

This is very wise advice.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Bryan Worsley

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 6:46 pm

greghooper wrote:Either that or clean the audio up first with some sort of limiting or hand editing (which is what I do a I want to examine the audio in detail upfront anyway).

I think that's a given and in no way should 'normalize' (by whatever means) be considered a one-stop levels fix. Audacity has a Limiter (hard and soft) and the Amplify effect gives the option to allow clipping or not. More often than not though I rein-in incidental/atypical peaks manually.

Daz Wood wrote:A much better way to handle sound levels should be to use EBU R128 specs and normalise to a Loudness Units Fall Scale setting, for instance a target Level of -23.0 LUFS to get a average loudness.

greghooper wrote:I agree re random spikes ruining peak normalising on raw recordings - average loudness is the better way...

Can't say I'm familiar with LUFS normalization per se - I've been using Audacity pretty much exclusively for a good while now. There is an RMS Normalize plugin that I use sometimes for dialogue, bearing in mind again the need to clean up atypical peaks and/or at times apply dynamic compression upon clipping. It does have a tendency to bump up quieter passages a bit too much though if you're not careful.

Still think 'peak normalization' has value in some situations though, when preservation of dynamic range is the priority.
Last edited by Bryan Worsley on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Sherman

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 7:54 pm

Bryan Worsley wrote:
Can't say I'm familiar with LUFS normalization

Conceptually its about normalizing based on what the human ear interprets as loudness. They are broadcast standards, so make everything sound consistent, for example ebu r128 is the European broadcast standard.

AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Bryan Worsley

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks Dan. So where does that leave us in terms of support of the request for a timeline audio 'normalize' feature in Resolve and consensus on what form that should take ?

Daz Wood

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 11:47 pm

Bryan Worsley wrote:Thanks Dan. So where does that leave us in terms of support of the request for a timeline audio 'normalize' feature in Resolve and consensus on what form that should take ?

Normalizing is turning up the audio in a file, but how loud should this be? Well not too loud and not too quiet. So we need to stick to industry standard just like with the video picture. Any implementation added to DaVinci Resolve that will achieve easily this will be a welcomed addition. Here's a document explaining more about EBU R128 https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3343.pdf
Thank you

Daz

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 1:14 am

Volume normalization is a very, very complex subject, and there is no "one size fits all" adjustment you can make because normal spoken dialogue constantly changes level, particularly in terms of background noise, mic proximity, and so on. Basically, what's necessary is the need to mix the track, which requires consciously riding the levels.

Although I typically don't like automatic controls, I have to admit that iZotope RX Loudness can be helpful for at least giving you a rough mix and preventing overly-loud peaks.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mas ... ntrol.html

Ideally, in a perfect world, you'd use Fairlight or Pro Tools for mixing with a really precise metering system that gives you realistic ITU/EBU/ASTC average levels, along with good monitoring in a real mixing room.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Marc, do you know if Loudness Control is supported within Resolve? Although iZotope doesn't identify Resolve integration of the RX Plugins, they work just fine in Resolve. I'm wondering if this is true of Loudness Control too. Thanks.

Rick Lang

Bryan Worsley

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 12:41 am

BTW:
Dan Sherman wrote:I currently use Ffmpeg and Auphonic to processes all my source clips.

Just checked out Auphonic (the on-line version) and the LUFS loudness normalizer is pretty good isn't it - well for my purposes at any rate, mostly run-and-gun and events stuff. I could see myself using it for dialogue especially. Thanks for the heads-up Dan.

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 4:03 am

Same price as Loudness Control but has a much cheaper option for non-commercial use.

Rick Lang

Jean Claude

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 3:38 pm

I use a MLoudnessAnalyser vst
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MLoudnessAnalyzer

It works fine in Davinci Resolve either on the Edit or Fairlight tab.
To test

2017-07-15_17-34-11.jpg

2017-07-15_17-33-50.jpg
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 4:08 pm

Jean Claude
Mac and Windows 64bit, integrates with Resolve Edit & Fairlight, standards compliant, free bundle: what's not to like?

I mean if and when you find it insufficient, just don't use it. Thanks.

Rick Lang

Jean Claude

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi Rick,

I just wanted to communicate that there are vst for sound. Sorry if I bothered you.
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

John Paines

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Jean Claude wrote:I use a MLoudnessAnalyser vst

To test

Site says VST and VST3 support -- but no VST2, which I think Resolve required as of 12.x (or does VST2 specification include VST?). Anyone confirmed use on Windows?

Jean Claude

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 4:40 pm

John Paines wrote:
Jean Claude wrote:I use a MLoudnessAnalyser vst

To test

Site says VST and VST3 support -- but no VST2, which I think Resolve required as of 12.x (or does VST2 specification include VST?). Anyone confirmed use on Windows?

Hi John,

Melda VST Installer (X64) offers VTS and VST3.

It is necessary to opt for VST3 and install under C: \ Program Files \ Steinberg \ VSTPlugins
There is a new MeldaProduction directory created. Place the license files there.

Then declare this directory in the preferences of Davinci Resolve (if it is not already done).

It's over and Davinci Resolve is doing very well.

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Jean Claude wrote:Hi Rick,

I just wanted to communicate that there are vst for sound. Sorry if I bothered you.

Jean Claude, I was trying to thank you for your valued suggestion, but I only implied that the way I wrote my message.

I think something in my prior note was lost in translation. I was trying to say that going with your suggested software was a very good idea and if anyone else found it lacking in a feature, they could use something else but it looked good for my needs.

Thanks, again.

Rick Lang

Daz Wood

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Here's a great meter that I use from Tc Electronic called the LM2n. The great thing about this meter is it uses a radar display so you done have to keep watching it to keep track of the audio levels and loudness.
I had used lots of free meters before I bought the LM2 and this is just so easy to use. The problem with most meter is you have to mix with your eyes incase you miss a peak or level change, but using the LM2n allows you to mix with your ears because of the time domain radar.

If the meter is showing yellow the program level is too loud at that moment. If its hitting the line between the green and yellow part of the radar most of the time then its going to be around the correct level. The Program Loudness figure bottom right gives the overall loudness, in the case of the picture above it is hotter than the -23 target by only 0.2 LUFS and this is because there was alot of quieter part around 3 minutes in the recording.
Thank you

Daz

Dan Sherman

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 12:06 am

Bryan Worsley wrote:BTW:
Just checked out Auphonic (the on-line version) and the LUFS loudness normalizer is pretty good isn't it - well for my purposes at any rate, mostly run-and-gun and events stuff. I could see myself using it for dialogue especially. Thanks for the heads-up Dan.

It really does a nice job. I have the desktop batch processor, and I love the fact that I can feed it directories full or audio clips, and just set back while it processes. Pretty much all I have to do in post now, is fine tune the audio for affect.

rick.lang

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Installed MLoudnessAnalyzer and applied to clips using the Auto Gain button after selecting Custom in the Inspector. On a Mac, I installed VST3 plugins as Jean Claude indicated for Windows, but Resolve only shows VST, so I installed VST and all is well.

Daz, thanks for the .pdf on the EBU 128 paper. I thought that was more helpful in explaining the details than the video Dan provided.

Rick Lang

Jean Claude

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi Rick,

I'm sorry but my native language is not English and it plays me sometimes bad tricks ... Sorry if I misinterpreted your words :oops: . Thank you for your message.

For the batch, you have to take care of things and use it like this:

If you are sure that your audio clips have exactly the same characteristics (same origin, same material, same recorder, etc ...), you import a clip and you do an analysis by MLoudnessAnalyzer.

Then you call the batch analyze: you select the other audio clips that come from the same source and all other audio clips will have the same corrections.
(Be careful to make a backup before)
Select_Files.jpg

There is no more left to import these other clips and they will be "prepared at same levels" before importing into the mediapool.

Just be sure that all clips processed in batch have the same characteristics but in batch: it is very, very fast.

After_batch.jpg

Hope this help

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 6:19 pm

Daz Wood wrote:Here's a great meter that I use from Tc Electronic called the LM2n. The great thing about this meter is it uses a radar display so you done have to keep watching it to keep track of the audio levels and loudness.
The problem with most meter is you have to mix with your eyes incase you miss a peak or level change, but using the LM2n allows you to mix with your ears because of the time domain radar.

This is the main reason I actually still use Grimm/Beat Rig's LevelView which uses a variation of BBC R&D's bendy meter, which I prefer to TC's Radar Display, due to it being easier to read at a glance.
http://www.grimmaudio.com/pro-products/software/levelview/

The only negative is that it is limited to stereo and 5.1 fixed channel configuration, so RTW's Loudness Tools standalone version is preferred for wider channel configurations since it supports up to 8 channels along with the TASA and SAWA standards (the Loudness Tools plugin version though currently doesn't function within Resolve). https://www.rtw.com/en/products/software/rtw-loudness-tools.html.

For batch loudness normalisation, RTW's CLC is the choice here which also provides a watch folder, so all Resolve audio exports automatically land there before moving to QC: https://www.rtw.com/en/products/software/clc.html.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.5 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

rick.lang

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks, Jean Claude.

URGENT
I have a serious problem now in Resolve 14 beta.043 (5) after installing MLoudnessAnalyzer. The problem persists after uninstalling MLoudnessAnalyzer. Can’t be certain the plugin is the source of my problem but when I went to edit today, I found I can make a cut and delete a clip with the Mac Delete key on the keyboard, but I cannot ripple cut or do any of the actions on the pop-up when I right-click on the clips! the pop-up appears, but no action results.

Tried on a few other projects not using the new plugin and they all refuse to ripple cut, etc.

One visual difference I noticed: On the Audio track control, I no longer have the audio curves button on any project. Restarting Resolve or rebooting the system made no difference. Reinstaledl Resolve 14 beta 5 and made no difference. same behaviour on all my projects!

Does anyone have insight why the audio curves button has disappeared and/or why I can’t ripple cut?
Rick Lang

Robert James

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 am

There's some issues with Resolve and Melda plugins, but I've never seen this one.

I don't even think Melda recommend using their products in Resolve.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Resolve Studio 14.1
Windows 10 Fall Creator Update
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD 1800x 4Ghz 32GB RAM
M.2 System Drive, M.2 Media Drive (All other drives SSDs)
ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G VC

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 5:37 am

Thanks, Robert. Resolve is not on the list of supported hosts, but I thought a VST plugin would be safe and it did work, while somehow it's upset Resolve. I sent a note to the vendor so I hope I have an answer tomorrow or I'm in big trouble! It's leaving something behind that causes Resolve not to work properly.

Rick Lang

Jean Claude

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 6:49 am

Hi,

I am very sorry that this plugin can generate an issue on your system. If I understood correctly you used the Trial version, I have the license version (V11.x). I've been using these vst3 for months and never had an issue, even on beta versions. Like what, from one system to another, there are differences. (Unless between trial and license, there are differences?).

Thank you in advance for reporting what Melda will give as explanations because it is still bothering to propose an app in a forum and that it brings issues to others.

Steve Alexander

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 9:56 am

Rick - did you try reinstalling that plugin to see if functionality in Resolve is restored?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Fusion Studio 18.6.5 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.3.1

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 12:11 pm

Steve, I did yesterday and repeated today. Removed and did a 'cleanup' on the plugins but cleanup found nothing this time. Also removed and reinstalled Resolve 14 beta5 yesterday and today. Same problems persist.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Jean Claude, the vendor web site does state the paid version has some additional functionality but no details. The vendor replied to me and suggested the cleanup after a remove, but today there was apparently nothing to cleanup. They feel that means a bug in Resolve due to the use of the plugin but nothing they can correct. Maybe there is a problem in a Resolve plist, but I need the Resolve team to step in with a suggestion now. I'll add an entry in the Resolve beta5 feedback thread.

I've tried with a Plugins/VST and/or /VST3 folders in the Resolve Preferences/Audio and still problem persists.

Last edited by rick.lang on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Lang

Jean Claude

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi Rick,

If I understood correctly, you installed the plugin in trial version and then you uninstalled it: that's all.

Tonight I would do a test identical to you on the V14b5 and I would see. (I have a backup of the HDD system in all cases). I have the complete MFreeFXBundle collection with license. I will uninstall the license to go down in demo version and I would see. To be continued.

Just maybe verify that in C: \ Program Files \ Steinberg \ VSTPlugins, there is no longer the directory "meldaProduction" or that it is empty.

Jean Claude

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 12:52 pm

rick.lang wrote:Jean Claude, the vendor web site does state the paid version has some additional functionality but no details. The vendor replied to me and suggested the cleanup after a remove, but today there was apparently nothing to cleanup. They feel that means a bug in Resolve due to the use of the plugin but nothing they can correct. Maybe there is a problem in a Resolve plist, but I need the Resolve team to step in with a suggestion now. I'll add an entry in the Resolve beta5 feedback thread.

I've tried with a Plugins/VST and/or /VST3 folders in the Resolve Preferences/Audio and still problem persists.

It would be nice if BMD would confirm if there is an issue from cache for VST (if exists ?), And if so, how to clean it (?) Or other issue (? ) Thank you.

Robert James

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:09 pm

I would be very careful using Melda products in Resolve. I worked with Melda with Resolve 12.5 trying to sort out some problems and to say they were less than impressed with Resolve's VST handling is an understatement.

IMO Resolve has never handled complex VST's very well, and even though 14 VST system was said to be improved it still has so many problems.
Resolve Studio 14.1
Windows 10 Fall Creator Update
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD 1800x 4Ghz 32GB RAM
M.2 System Drive, M.2 Media Drive (All other drives SSDs)
ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G VC

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Yes, I tend to feel I'm going to pass on Melda until they say they are supported by Resolve which may never happen. Thankfully there are other options to control loudness levels compatible EBU 128.

Rick Lang
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve