DaVinci 15 | Big feature request list.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: DAVINCI 15 | Big feature request list.

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 2:23 am

Select a clip and apply a marker to identify an individual clip.
Flags will always be source clip related.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Robert Arnold

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Select a clip and apply a marker to identify an individual clip.
Flags will always be source clip related.

Except that doesn't solve my problem at all. I want to be able to choose a number of clips at once and flag them for future attention. Markers are only ever added at the location of the playhead, so I have to do them one at a time, and furthermore they are difficult to see visually on the Color page and invisible in lightbox. If you are working from a Scene-Cut-detected timeline, Flags are utterly useless. In fact I almost never find source-clip-related flagging to be useful, and it's frustrating that there's no way to clearly demarcate the thumbnails on the Color page under most circumstances.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 6:34 am

If you are not using clip color, select and right click to apply.. or ..If you enable selection follows playhead, lock tracks that you dont want markers on, arrow through the timeline selects the clips as you go and M will add a marker to the selected clip. Not quite the method you are looking for but the markers are clearly visible on the mini timeline in color. I'll think about how we can improved this further.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Ignacio de La Cierva

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 9:38 am

Alex Uzan wrote:
4) Curves for position keyframe.

6) A shortcut/button to export an image right from the timeline.

Yessssss, please!!

Very specially point 4: The lack of Position Curves (as we have for zoom, yaw, pitch, opacity...) is baffling.

Seth Goldin

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 6:12 pm

Better metadata integration would be great.

While it is possible to manually enter all sorts of metadata within Resolve, different camera manufacturers provide apps that seem to be able to read more camera metadata than Resolve can.

I regularly need to use additional programs like Sony Catalyst Browse, REDCINE-X PRO, and Canon XF Utility to check shutter angle, capture gamma, capture gamut, etc.
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Anthony Dias

Vertical / Portrait / Rotate 90°, -90° in Media Bin / metada

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 11:20 pm

Davinci Resolve Reature Request Image Rotation.jpg
Image Rotation attribute 90° and -90° in Clip Attributes feature request
Davinci Resolve Reature Request Image Rotation.jpg (45.86 KiB) Viewed 38829 times
I'm working on some projects that will end up on either Snapchat or services like it where the video will be viewed on a phone screen. So, we recorded the footage with 5D mkII cameras rotated 90°.

In the Davinci Resolve timeline, I am able to rotate the video in the inspector and have it fit nicely in a 1080X1920 project HOWEVER the previews in the Bin, and the thumbnails in the timeline stay in landscape mode.

It would be nice if I could click a checkbox somewhere (like the Clip Attributes dialogue box) that allowed me to specify that the video was originally recorded in "portrait" mode. Please see the attached image for an example (Image Rotation section).

This way, I could work with the clips in the bin without having to twist my neck and the thumbnails would be shown correctly.

Ramin Winroth

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 9:04 am

Would love to be able to keyboard map "Add bin" so that I could use a shortcut to quickly create sub-bins instead of constantly having to right click and add bin.

Ramin Winroth

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 9:14 am

Moving.png
Moving.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 38785 times

When sorting bins by "User sort" I would like to be able to hold the cursor beneath a bin and then choose by holding left or mid if it should become a sub-bin or be placed below. Right now the choice becomes fixed when the orange bar appears based on the cursors initial position and you have to move it somewhere else before you try again.

Jean Rivoire

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 4:41 pm

allow dvr15 import. srt

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 4:07 pm

I'm still in v12.5, so if this is addressed in 14 please disregard.

I have a project that is at 24.000, and after some work, i have to deliver a 23.976 one.
It is a royal pain not be able to change FPS for a project, but there is another matter that can help.

I jus needed to be able to play the audio with the project as it stands currently, but even if the project is at 24.000 the audio is at 23.976.

if I import the audio it is flagged wrongly at 24.000.

I would like to import the audio at the correct speed 23.976, then in the timeline ask resolve to play at 24.000 with the correct repitch.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

waltervolpatto

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 4:22 pm

I think that has been mentioned before:

[grab still] have an option to grab it [with or without] the [burn in] window.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Dermot Shane

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 4:47 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:I think that has been mentioned before:

[grab still] have an option to grab it [with or without] the [burn in] window.
+1

John Paines

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Simple but essential: when positioned over a timeline clip with the mouse, display clip duration and to the extent they can fit, name and other statistics.

Masamichi Decimal

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Text tool
- Stroke placement
Text Stroke is always placed center of text outline on 14. I need it on outside.
- Auto adjustable background size
I'm happy if background size is changed by its content automatically.

Bruce Allen

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 12:46 am

My top 5, plus a bonus!

1. Let us marquee-select multiple nodes and hit Ctrl-D to disable / enable ALL of them at once (like Nuke)

2. Backdrops, Notes and Dots (like Nuke).

3. More flexible UI (let us have 2 timelines open at once in Edit eg Hamburger timeline, let us customize the Color layout to better fit our needs)

4. Python scripting (so people can write cool scripts and bigger houses can integrate shot versioning, VFX pipeline stuff, etc)

5. Let me choose different resolutions for each sequence (maybe still have a "project default resolution", but allow you to override these per sequence). Bonus points if you can also choose to override the color setups too (LUTs, processing modes, etc).

BONUS: Stills mode so I can ditch Lightroom :P (is it just me or does going back to Lightroom / DXO / Capture One just feel like a massive step backwards?)

Bruce Allen
http://www.bruceallen.tv

Garth McElroy

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 10:38 am

I'd love to have a live preview of the final file size when switching codecs and resolution in the deliver tab. It's very handy to know how big a file is going to be once encoded. I always loved that in Premiere and am surprised Resolve doesn't do this.

Jean Paul Sneider

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Better Lab color tools. Mostly value picker

Micha Clazing

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Optical flow algorithm that doesn't struggle with striped shirts (Twixtor handles them fine).

Chip.Murphy

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Very happy to see that the source monitor playback framerate tweaks made it into 14. Thanks, Blackmagic!

It would be great if smart bins could pull metadata from Color Timeline Properties.

I do a lot of dailies work and we'll have one timeline per card, so it would be fabulous to make a smart bin called "unrendered" which would utilize the Color Timeline Properties "unrendered" search, so if any clip in the timeline is unrendered, the timeline would show up in the smart bin. Essentially, if any clip in the timeline satisfies the query, the timeline should reflect that metadata. This could also be used for markers, so if anyone has a large project with many timelines, you could find issue timelines very easily.

Smart bins in power bins would be wild as well, not holding my breath on that one due to the complexity, but if you allowed for custom metadata fields and allowed for smart bins / timeline bins in the power bin area, you could give Avid a run for its money.

Also, offline clips in XML/AAF should come into the media tab as offline clips. It sucks trying to hunt through the timeline to find offline clips. Not having an offline placeholder in the media tab also makes it impossible to reconnect that individual clip. This would also allow people to bring in an offline XML and reconnect later, Resolve currently doesn't allow this.

Great job on 14!

Patrick Finnegan

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Let me fist say I love Resolve and so appreciate Blackmagic's business model in making such an amazing piece of software available to its customers. I have moved fully to it both as an editing and coloring suite.

I am just downloading resolve 14 to install so am only speaking from experience with Resolve 12 but so far from what I have read it doesn't seem that my hope for the following feature is yet available...

One of my favorite features of Premiere (which I have abandoned since it went to an ongoing subscription platform) and miss sorely!!! is the ability to hover my mouse over any section of the interface (media, timeline, viewer, source monitor,etc) and by simply pressing the tilde key (~) that area blows up to fill the entire screen as a full screen display. Considering how much information is present in each area of the interface ( for instance in the media display alone you can often have twenty rows of metadata, all in tiny print) this is an invaluable tool for easing eyestrain and having quick access toto a full heads up display of whatever area of the interface you are working on when you don't need the other areas. I cannot say enough of how much this makes for a day long workflow so much easier and more enjoyable. It was in constant use in my Premiere based suite as I have edited in the past.

I would BEG!!!! Black Magic to implement this feature if at all possible???
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

John Paines

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Selective caching of any given timeline element, including audio, without all the behaviors associated with "user" or "smart" cache settings. In other words, a plain manual cache control. Highlight, render button.

So, for example, you could stack 6 Izotope RX filters, render the audio and not run into latency issues -- but without the cache overhead associated with the formal cache settings. And, crucially, without having to render the audio outside Resolve.

Sneak this one into v14 and there will be lots of happy people.

waltervolpatto

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 3:26 pm

[commit compound]

having a compound clip is fun, but sometimes I need to commit to it, and have or as fresh new material

so, a [commit compound] that will render fresh material and swap it in the timeline

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Zeb Chadfield

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 9:09 am

My only current requests are

- Deinterlace in a project with fields enabled
This is handy when you are delivering an interlaced master but have mixed interlaced and progressive media with some of the interlaced media needing deinterlace to sit in with the progressive media around it.

- Adjustment Layers
These are handy for having prebuilt effects or complex transitions that you want to be able to slap around your timeline where ever you need them and can't be done with groups or timeline grades. Currently the only way to do this is with compound clips and that is a slow and cumbersome way to deal with it. When you have to do a lot in a timeline you are looking at two hours plus work which could be accomplished in about five to twenty minutes with adjustment layers.

- Pop out timecode window. Like you have for bins in v14, big pop out timecode window is great for viewing with clients when you don't want to obstruct the picture on your reference monitor with any of the burn in options.

Andreas Schwarz

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 11:03 am

...divide "Snapping tool" into clip snapping and playhead snapping, with the ability to turn them off in the projekt settings....

danielstonehouse

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 5:18 am

NEW TOOLS AND FEATURES

MEDIA PAGE

ALLOW TRIM IN CLIP ATTRIBUTES / MULTIPLE REFERENCES TO SAME FOOTAGE POSSIBLE IN MEDIA PAGE
Expose ability to split / cut / trim footage on media page (i.e. the expose settings for what is possible with split based on EDL workflow), in clip attributes perhaps have an editable in and out. This way if you use the split and add workflow, you could add a couple seconds to a particular shot if needed).

EDIT PAGE

MASTER TIMELINE "LIMIT TO USED FOOTAGE PLUS HANDLES" SETTING
Setting for master timeline to limit to used footage in other sequences plus handles as per edit settings (Live updating when you import a new timeline, makes master timeline more useful, can render master timeline only and have necessary footage for all timelines)

SMART TIMELINES
Smart timelines - generative timelines. Like Smart filters but make timelines. Useful for any multi timeline project. Can’t edit them manually, they are like the master timeline. Things like boolean operations with other timelines (i.e. all footage in both timeline 1 and timeline 2, or footage not shared). Ability to add handles (i.e. a smart timeline that has all footage in timeline 1, 2, 3, 4, plus 25 frame handles, merging overlaps.

BETTER DISPLAY OF VERSIONS
Master timeline shows versions available for each clip (perhaps as master timeline is always one track, use tracks to show, clips appear disabled until you change versions). Some kind of vertical stacked display. Similar visual metaphor could be used for showing / choosing confliciting clips

IMPORT MULTIPLE EDLS AT ONCE
Import multiple xmls / EDL’s at once (in commercials situation you often have 10 timelines, they can share the same import settings).

AUTOMATIC OFFLINE MATCHING ON IMPORT
If xml / edl and offline reference have matching filenames, auto import and link

AUTOMATIC MATCH SCALING OF CURRENT FRAME TO OFFLINE REFERENCE
Match offline - One button tool that attempts a visual match of scaling, positioning, rotation in edit scaling etc between offline / clip in timeline. Would save a LOT of time. Could be used to match animated moves easily. use it on first frame, add keyframe, use it on last frame

COLOUR PAGE

NEW TIMELINE DISPLAY MODES- DISABLE ALL SIZING, DISABLE RETIME ON CURRENT CLIP
Add two more tools that work like the a/c mode, and handles mode (very powerful tools, quick manipulation of current shot to serve a practical purpose). One tool which disables all sizing (including edit, but not clip attributes aspect ration) temporarily, fitting footage to monitor (would work either globally on timeline, or on current active shot). And Another tool which allows you to view current retimed clips at real time (works like handles mode, this pops the current clip up).

REMOTE CLIP INDICATOR SHOULD SHOW WHETHER IT IS THE FIRST REMOTE LINKED CLIP IN CURRENT TIMELINE
Remote clip indicator should show whether there are remote clips to the left or right of current clip in timeline (just make a version of current indicator that points left or right).

SHOW CONNECTED REMOTE CLIPS ON MINI TIMELINE
Clips sharing remote grades should be indicated by subtle colour change on mini timeline.

50% POINT ON CURVES
Grid for curves should have a 50% point, snappable (for LAB grading).

AND / OR LAB CURVES TOOL
LAB curves as a new curves toolset

SCALE CURVES HORIZONTALLY
Curves should be scalable horizontal the same way they can currently be scaled vertically (with a draggable tool on horizontal axis)

CURSOR MODE - USE WACOM / MOUSE ON BROADCAST MONITOR
Would love to have a mode where UI mouse or Wacom draws onto broadcast monitor, like Baselight. Cursor mode or something. toggle on / off. Middle click pan, zoom same as interface. zoom returns to normal when you leave cursor mode. Option to remember your zoom / pan when you enter cursor mode again. Panels could use cursor mode button, just allow it to work with the mouse as well as the trackball.

TEMPORARILY MAXIMISE ANY TOOL ON COLOUR PAGE
Should be able to maximise any window on colour page temporarily with single toggle key (Similar to tilde key in premiere). This would let you bring back big curves mode. Maximising primaries etc could show all tools on one page (inc raw, RGB mixer etc). Maximise curves shows big curves, maximise hue vs shows all three tools at same time, maximise LUM sat or sat sat shows 2 tools at same time. maximise mini timeline shows edit page, maximise clips shows lightbox, maximise sizing shows all types of sizing at once.

DELIVER PAGE

EXPORT XML
Export xml should be a checkbox made visible when you choose to render individual clips, with options for type of XML, name, location. Current location in timeline menu and the way xml’s magically update referencing rendered clips not clear (though should not be removed)- an xml etc referencing rendered clips is a delivery task

DISABLE OUTPUT SIZING / BLANKING
There should be a checkbox to disable output sizing on render, including output blanking, as per disable edit and input sizing. This would allow you to render to source res, with all sizing disabled, without having to do it twice because you forgot to disable output blanking (happens to me all the time)

TRACKING IMPROVEMENTS

Option to turn off default generated keyframes

No need for 4 default shapes to be enabled, waste of space. List on track page should be blank. If you want to have 4 curves, that should be fine.

List should be drag and drop for order.

Much wasted space, no need for windows to be in single wide list as you can’t name them any more, 2 columns or grid would allow more to fit on screen

Parenting. Simple drag and drop onto another shape to parent one shape to another. The child of a parent has track temporarily disabled / greyed out (but if it has a track its saved, can be re activated by dragging child away from parent).

Previous / next shape selection needed on tracking page. Should not include disabled shapes. Also on Panels

KNOWN PROBLEMS

WINDOW OFFSETS
Window offsets are most critical issue - happens a lot that windows offset. Really bad, causes jobs to bounce back from clients. Number one issue that needs to be cleared up. Seems like an order of operations thing, tracking needs to be attached to the raw pixels of the source footage, before ANY scaling operations take place.

ICONS FOR SCALING PRESETS
Scaling presets should have icons to make things clearer - just different arrangements of two rectangles, which will communicate very clearly what they do. Names should be standardised across preferences / input scaling presets and the edit page inspector (prefer single word with icon to short sentence)

SEE ALL VALUES OF PRIMARY TOOLS
Need to be able to see values of all primary tools (saturation, contrast etc) on interface at all times - the 1/2 switcher is very clunky.

ANTI ALIASING / SCALING ON LIGHTBOX VERY POOR QUALITY.

LENS CORRECTION SHOULD BE PASTEABLE WITH PASTE ATTRIBUTES

PROBLEMS WITH OS X SPACES
Resolve doesn't seem to respect OSX Spaces the same way as other apps - using Alt-tab doesn't switch to it if it is open on another desktop when only projects is open (ie on first start)

TRACKING ON CLIPS WITH SPEED CHANGES
Often see issues where tracked shapes oscillate and move around rapidly when you render to individual clips). Seems tracking is only being written to the visible frames in retimed clips, and that sometime (re tracking over a previous track) the tweening between those new tracked frames is not being calculated correctly. Suggested solution, fix tweening (ie a new track overwrites all old track data, even if the frames are being skipped due to the clip being retimed). Also perhaps some option to track at original speed?

RESET SELECTED WINDOW
Need reset selected moved out of menu onto a button, next to reset all

CLEAR TRACK DATA
Should be able to reset selected / active track with buttons, or select all

CLEAR SELECTED TRACK DATA
This should be a button, perhaps the interactive mode trashcan could be repurposed when not in interactive mode

TIMELINE MODE VS “SHOW CLIP WITH HANDLES”
You should be able to switch to timeline track when in show clip with handles without the popup. You should be able to switch to timeline track when in timeline filter mode. May need to disable keyframing while in this mode.

HANDLES ON FIRST CLIP IN TIMELINE
You should be able to show handles at the start of the first clip in the timeline (currently doesn’t work)

MAKE POWERGRADES EASIER TO BACK UP
Powergrades save in simple folder structure in Library/resolve/powergrades. names / labels remembered. split off from normal stills storage.

ADD OUTSIDE
Add outside works differently on interface to panels and neither are correct. You have node 1, you add an outside, node 2. If you go back to node 1 and add outside, this should not interfere with the relationship between node 1 and node 2.

ADVANCED PANEL

New keycaps for advanced panel that reflect current toolset / names

Ability to customise tools on left and right panel screen to users preference.

Personally I am all for a big reshuffle of the advanced panel, but it should be a user preference to pick old style vs new style layout (if dramatic layout changes are made - muscle memory is hard to break).

50% LUM / neutral control for curves (currently only 40% 60% (for LAB grading etc)

Project settings / Control panel
- Seperate sensitivity setting for Log wheels
- or sensitivity setting for log controls follows settings for Primary wheels (currently doesn’t)

Toggle through active / enabled windows from Track page (could just be button to right of Cue Previous on left panel). Also would be handy on windows page. Window page currently has previous / next, which is annoying as you have to cycle through all the disabled default windows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterMoretti

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 5:53 am

Keyboard shortcuts for each marker color and ability to change makers' default names and notes.

E.g. Pressing Ctrl Shift B adds a Blue Marker with default Name "Jordan" and Notes "Good focus". Pressing Ctrl Shift P adds a Pink Marker with default Name "Ashley" and Notes "Good take".

Also we should have the ability to use Tab and Shift Tab to move from field to field of the edit marker dialog box.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 5:55 am

Patrick Finnegan wrote:One of my favorite features of Premiere (which I have abandoned since it went to an ongoing subscription platform) and miss sorely!!! is the ability to hover my mouse over any section of the interface (media, timeline, viewer, source monitor,etc) and by simply pressing the tilde key (~) that area blows up to fill the entire screen as a full screen display.

The workaround I would give you is to use the operating system to just use the mouse to temporarily zoom into the window and blow everything up to read it. I'll do this on occasion if something weird is going on or I missed some little detail in Metadata sorting or something.

danielstonehouse wrote:WINDOW OFFSETS
Window offsets are most critical issue - happens a lot that windows offset. Really bad, causes jobs to bounce back from clients. Number one issue that needs to be cleared up. Seems like an order of operations thing, tracking needs to be attached to the raw pixels of the source footage, before ANY scaling operations take place.

This is a known issue and I think it would be a major, major code rewrite to fix it because of the way the order of operations is structured. I get around the QC problem by watching everything all the way through and catching the mistakes before they happen. One good thing now: we can watch the whole project at double-speed, and you can still definitely still see a bad window if and when it happens. For me, it happens with anamorphic images and size changes in Clip Attributes.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

PeterMoretti

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 6:24 pm

Ramin Winroth wrote:Would love to be able to keyboard map "Add bin" so that I could use a shortcut to quickly create sub-bins instead of constantly having to right click and add bin.

This is indeed is PITA.

Here's kind of detailed explanation of what's going on:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61904
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

PeterMoretti

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 6:12 am

Thumbnail scrubbing of audio files.

We can scrub video file thumbnails on the Media and Edit Pages and set In and Out points. But we can't do this using audio file thumbnails.

This seems like it would be relatively easy to implement, as playing audio is easier than video because no picture needs to be updated.

PeterMoretti

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 6:16 am

Ability to Mute Individual Audio Tracks on Media Page.

Right now I have a two track audio file. Each channel is assigned to a lav. I have no way of soloing one of the channels on the Media Page. It will always play both channels, which is quite the PITA. It would be nice to be able to mute/solo individual audio tracks on the Media Page.

As it is, to dive into this file, I need to create a timeline for it, which should not be necessary.

Thanks for considering this.

danielstonehouse

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 9:23 am

davinci_sketch.png
davinci_sketch.png (51.92 KiB) Viewed 38484 times

Adrian Mcyorian

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 9:25 am

UI
-Reduce margins and empty space between icons and tools, try to get the more from UI. Davinci waste so much space on each emptu UI Space and margins.

-Make Tabs! make the UI more Dynamic and adjustable, ( undock, Dock, Rezise, Skins, Etc..)

PROJECT
-Allow users to decide where to put projects files, data and another stuff tomake easy move entire projects to another workstation.

GENERAL
-Make Davinci think always for TRANSPARENCY... any time we see RGB sliders show an ALPHA slider Too!
- More Effects and improve OFX performance,
-Better TEXT TOOLS, Text tools may include possible "Insert Graphic from file" or "Create Shape".
-Text tools with :
A-Fill: ( Solid, Gradient (x4), Transparent (yes.. sometimes we need to see just Stroke), Texture From file.
B- Stroke: ( Solid, Gradient (x2), Transparent, Texture from file)
C- Drop Shadow: (Color, Opacity, Radius, offset, angle)
D- Bevel and Emboss... ( see Photoshop)

on any case of keyframe animation or translate movement make a MOTION BLUR option! Even for Transitions!

Chromatic aberration Effects
Lens Blur Effects ( blurs, Lens dirts (Bokeh, Dust, Scratches, etc)all of them Light Responsive)

-TIMELINE
-Pleaseeeeee make a compound clip from transparency or text to keep Transparency!

As you see in wish a GIANT IMPROVE on Compositing Workflow inside Davinci.. if you do this.... oh BMD! ohhhhhhh!
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 18.5.1
CPU: Intel core I5
RAM: 32GB
GPU: GTX 1070

Julian van Mil

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 1:51 pm

Closed captioning support. :D
Studio Feather
www.studiofeather.com

Hector Berrebi

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 5:50 pm

Robert Arnold wrote:Here are my little requests, mostly Color things:

1) I've been asking for this one for 3 versions or so: It's nice to have the RGB readout of the pixels under the dropper cursor ("Show picker RGB value"), but it would be way more useful if we had some idea of (and control over) what that sample is (point sample? 10x10 average?) and if the value would update as we graded, even if the cursor isn't moving.

+1 very useful indeed.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Hector Berrebi

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Damn this was a long read... :)

Feature improvement request

Add more decimal places to qualifier limiters.

I have been waiting for this one forever... I think qualifier limiters are one of the only tools in Resolve to only have 0.0 resolution. why not 0.00 or even 0.000?

I know my qualifying/keying well. Been doing and teaching it for a long time. I ran into countless situations where 0.4 was almost good but both 0.5 and 0.6 were unusable. especially in low saturation values.
I think the hardest keys to pull are minor low saturation values on similar hues (skin vs beige wall or shirt for example or skin vs blond/brown hair) and all we have to work with are ugly tenth (0.0) variations...
I'd actually be satisfied if only Low Sat got the bump. "hue/luminance" could probably benefit from it, and maybe "clean black/white" too.... but Low Sat with more resolution would simply be a killer feature and make the qualifier a much better tool.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 21.12.10.png
current limiters
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 21.12.10.png (47.69 KiB) Viewed 38391 times
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Justin Stephenson

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 2:47 am

I wish for SDI embedded timecode while playing back from the edit page. It works perfectly in the colour and delivery pages. It's an important function while using resolve as an NLE.
Justin Stephenson
Moving Image Designer
http://justinstephenson.com
---------
18.6.4 Studio, W11 Pro, 13700K, Z690 ASUS ProArt, lots of M.2, NAS w 10Gbe mass storage, 128GB RAM, RTX4090, UltraStudio Monitor 3G -> FSI DM240. Micro Panel, Speed Editor.

Richard Dean

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Please add the ability to use jog/shuttle (I'm on advanced panel) in the viewer so I can mark I and O and even insert shots using the panel. Also the jog seems to advance 2 frames instead of 1 in R14 beta 5.

I'd also like to see the advanced panel control some audio parameters.

I'm not asking for a full fairlight interface but some functionality would help.

Christopher Dobey

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 4:10 am

Micha Clazing wrote:I think it's already been mentioned, but simply:

If Resolve 14 integrates Fairlight, let Resolve 15 integrate Fusion.

Also, would be nice to have Ultimatte tools available in the Edit and Color tabs.

I'm for the integration as well, as I'm currently learning Fusion and find myself going back and forth between it and Resolve.

Reminds me of when I was working with Logic X and FCPX a lot and would of done anything for those to be combined. Or when Avid bought Sibelius the integration got much much better with it and ProTools but still one program would of been awesome for those two as well.
I can see the comments already: 'What the hell is this "Fusion" tab for??'
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

Zeb Chadfield

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 6:11 am

Having a blur/mosaic setting for the face tracker so it can be used for hiding identities/compliance work.

PeterMoretti

PostSat Jul 29, 2017 9:16 pm

1. Ability to resize tracks on Fairlight Page by dragging between track boarders, like can be done on the Edit Page.

2. Have keyboard shortcuts work consistently across Pages (when possible). For example, Shift S does not toggle scrubbing on the Fairlight Page. (How does one enable audio scrubbing on the Fairlight Page?)

3. Have timeline navigation work consistently across Pages (when possible). For example Right Arrow moves one frame forward on all of the Pages except for Fairlight, where it seems to do nothing at all. + 1. does not move one second forward on the Fairlight Page. And Up Arrow does not move to the next edit on the Fairlight Page.

4. Data Burn should be able to display any/every metadata field. And it should have the ability to reference a specific track.

For example, track number should be able to be specified for Audio Timecode. Let's say I have eighteen tracks of audio and I want to see the source timecode for audio track 10 (which contains SFX) in the data burn? There is currently no way to do that.

5. Left timecode display of source viewer should show the duration of the selected clip if a clip is selected. Right now it still shows the duration of the entire timeline when a clip is selected--which is almost always useless. (I know a workaround is to mark In and Out points around the clip, but that gets pretty tedious... even with the shortcut Mark Selection.)

6. Go to Previous Location command. There are times when I inadvertently press the wrong key while trying to tweak an edit and I'm taken to a different part of the timeline with no easy way to get back to where I was. For example, I was using Left and Right Arrow to find the exact frame when a character's arm was at its highest point. I accidentally pressed the Up Arrow instead of Right Arrow and I'm now brought to the nearest edit point to the left. And I'm thinking "Crap!" If there were a command to Go to Previous Location, it would be easy for me to resume what I was doing, instead of having to search for the exact frame again.

7. Have window keyboard shortcuts act as toggles. For example, Ctrl 9 opens the Inspector, and pressing Ctrl 9 again closes the Inspector.

8. Ability to hover over a partial clip name displayed in the time and having a popup window (similar to a tooltip) display the full clip name. Right now I have to either increase the zoom level of the timeline or match frame to find out the full name of the clip. This gets very tedious.

9. Ability to add more than one marker at the same location. For example, I'm using green markers to denote one thing and yellow markers to denote another. On TC 1:30:00:00 both of these things happen, so I want to add both a yellow and a green marker to the same frame, but I can't.

Thank you very much.
Last edited by PeterMoretti on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:27 am, edited 6 times in total.

Phil Side

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 8:18 am

On the metadata panel, provide an option to display all non-empty fields.

Phil Side

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 9:29 am

Populate the Camera Type and Camera Serial# metadata fields from the xml sidecar file, or from the xavc file itself, on Sony files.

Zeb Chadfield

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 10:19 am

We really do need AS11 delivery out of Resolve. All UK delivery to broadcasters uses this standard.
http://www.amwa.tv/projects/AS-11-UK-DPP-HD.shtml

Zeb Chadfield

PostMon Jul 31, 2017 6:38 am

Remote grading utilising Clip name or Reel Name etc. Actually remote grading via any selected metadata field could be amazing.

Richard Dean

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 7:23 am

On composite modes, it would be great to have a keyboard shortcut for next and previous mode.
When after effects added this shortcut it became much easier to cycle through the mode type and quickly find a blend that worked for the particular shots.

I'd love the text tool to have keyboard shortcuts for kerning -+ between characters.

Theodor Groeneboom

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 2:11 pm

-
Last edited by Theodor Groeneboom on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Travis Wills

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Please add 10 BIT H.264 support. Right now it appears that the only H.264 export we can do is 8 BIT. Youtube specifically only accepts 10 BIT H.264 files for HDR encoding. It would be great to have this as an option for exporting videos on a PC since we can do ProRes and DNxHR HQX files are too large to upload.

Adam Brown

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 9:44 pm

Please add sound support in Linux, it's such an important feature. Plus a Decklink is not a solution for people using a laptop. Please fix this issue and I would gladly pay for full audio support, without having to rely on separate hardware purchases. It should simply work out of the box.

Stepan Ko

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 8:59 am

Ability to version up several clips at once would be nice!

Alexandre Westphal

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 10:05 am

The possibility to copy/past only settings of the Titles (position - font - size) to make subtitles without the need to go through and external software...

{EDIT} Actually this seems to be possible : make all your subtitles and select all the titles in the track, then adjust font, position and other settings. They will be applied to all the selected titles ! :D
Last edited by Alexandre Westphal on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.embelliefilms.fr
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve