Shipping dates

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

cineman

Re: Shipping dates

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Can someone please explain to me why it is so hard to let us know what is going on? Not in vague general terms but in specific detail. For example; This place is getting "X" amount of cameras and on this "date".

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 6:10 pm

cineman wrote:Can someone please explain to me why it is so hard to let us know what is going on? Not in vague general terms but in specific detail. For example; This place is getting "X" amount of cameras and on this "date".

Because when you do it for one person, EVERY SINGLE DEALER will want to know when they're getting theirs. They said RIGHT BEFORE the weekend that it shipped. Give it some time to actually get through transit and we'll know. There's a huge backorder and the demand is great. We're all anxious to get our cameras. There was ONE short delay. They are now shipping. Now it's just a matter of time for them to get through the system and start getting out there. It's not as easy as putting out a huge list of EVERY SINGLE Blackmagic dealer and saying exactly how many units each one is getting. Sony doesn't do that, Panasonic doesn't do that, Apple doesn't do that. No one does that.

The shipping date was said to be in August. They shipped in August. Now the cameras will start to trickle through. It's impossible for them to say how may they'll produce and who's going to get what. There are so many parts to the equation.

Everyone's excited. Everyone's anxious. We really just need to wait. It's not like Blackmagic doesn't want you to have your camera.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Albert N. Romero

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:Hey guys! Seems like the frenzy already begun...

Cheers from zee germanz :twisted: .. I just pre-ordered the BMCC from a medium sized german retailer, they have no clue on when they'll receive anything never mind how many... after a quick read through this thread I'm now thinking about placing a pre-order with CVP as well for slightly better chances at receiving a cam before next year. On the other hand.. not sure.. perhaps it's not much of an advantage - what do you guys think?

Wich reseller in germany?
I have mine with medienwerkstatt-shop

RichDorato

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:26 pm

I don't think you're giving the best examples, if someone like Apple or Sony say one of their big products is launching, they give a day, and it's available immediately when the doors open on that day.

BlackMagic have had products in the past that are like your favorite case for an iPhone. You love the product, but you're not camped out over night for it's release. Now they're in the more demanding "major" product market. Some paid in full five months ago due to their "how to buy" page, have projects they were hoping to start last month, still don't know when it might arrive and may not have another camera to shoot with in the mean time. Unlike an accessory they can't rough it out for now, they're missing the core product.

Excuses are hard to take in a situation like this. If someone orders a pizza and three days later they hear back "sorry, we didn't have a car when we took your order", one can understand why it didn't arrive, but be angry they're left waiting when they're so hungry.

Know what I'm saying?
www.whoatemyteeth.com

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 pm

whoatemyteeth wrote:I don't think you're giving the best examples, if someone like Apple or Sony say one of their big products is launching, they give a day, and it's available immediately when the doors open on that day.

BlackMagic have had products in the past that are like your favorite case for an iPhone. You love the product, but you're not camped out over night for it's release. Now they're in the more demanding "major" product market. Some paid in full five months ago due to their "how to buy" page, have projects they were hoping to start last month, still don't know when it might arrive and may not have another camera to shoot with in the mean time. Unlike an accessory they can't rough it out for now, they're missing the core product.

Excuses are hard to take in a situation like this. If someone orders a pizza and three days later they hear back "sorry, we didn't have a car when we took your order", one can understand why it didn't arrive, but be angry they're left waiting when they're so hungry.

Know what I'm saying?

True but Blackmagic didn't take the pre-order, the 3rd parties did. That's almost like BestBuy taking pre-orders for the new iPhone and not being able to deliver b/c Apple didn't allocate units to them. But going back and forth like this isn't really productive. I'm sure we'll all get our cameras soon enough. In the meantime, let's book some jobs and make some money so we can feed our families and buy some cool accessories for our BMCC.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Kfhammond

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:Hey everyone,

Just wanted to jump on here and give a heads up. The cameras are shipping now. The initial shipment was rather small, smaller than we would have liked. This will change as our part supply ramps up. Once that happens production will ramp up and we will be able to deliver many more cameras at a time.

However, it is worth noting, we still have a bit of a back order to get through so it may still take some time to get your unit.

Rest assured that once we get ramped up, we will not simply be shipping five BCC's at the a time. Without getting into too much detail, B&H did get only a handful on their first shipment, and the rest went to some of our OTHER dealers in our channel.

So...we totally understand your guys excitement to get your cameras. Just rest assured we are working as hard as possible to get them to you quickly.

Well this is certainly a contradiction:

Jesuan Soriano

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:13 pm

We've lived all our lives without the BMCC so I think we can live 2-3 months more without it.

so people don't get mad, you took your pre-order months before they even started shipping, so why are you complaining?? You should have wait until they shipped the camersa so then you can rant about it.

Just my opinion, I also want a BMCC but meanwhile I can deal with my lovely 7D.

BMD should have an on-line store, that would be great
Jesus Soriano

Trevor Roach

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Kfhammond wrote:
Well this is certainly a contradiction:

Just wondering, when did you pre-order from safe harbor? I did around a month ago, so I'm not expecting mine anytime soon, but just curious. Thanks!

Kfhammond

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:38 pm

I ordered July 24th

Soeren Mueller

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 am

albertnromero wrote:Wich reseller in germany?
I have mine with medienwerkstatt-shop

And do they have any information yet? I ordered from Marcotec.. they said they are expecting to get them next month...

bhook

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 2:00 pm

I have read that the US distributor has not received any cameras yet...are they shipping? Can you define "small quantities" please? Will they be distributed evenly among the dealers or will some dealers get more cameras? My dealer (on your approved list since just after NAB) told me yesterday that they have not heard anything at all in quite a while. Would BMD please throw the dogs a bone...please.

:D

Albert N. Romero

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 am

Soeren Mueller wrote:And do they have any information yet? I ordered from Marcotec.. they said they are expecting to get them next month...

As far as i know, they don´t. Last time i spoke to them they said that they were waiting for official news. if i get some news from them i will post here.
I don´t know how the resellers work. Maybe they arrive to work someday and they have this little first shipment waiting. I consider this first little shipment like the tester´s one... but for customers. Lets think positive, europe is important to them xD

Brunosc

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 11:37 am

I preordered from one of Black Magic Design's authorized online resellers in France and contacted them to find out if they knew anything about shipping dates. They answered the next day, on August 30th, saying that according to the last information they had gotten from BM, they would be able to start shipping sometime between Sept 20th and Oct 5th.

Eric Santiago

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 2:30 pm

paul schefz

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 4:39 pm

looks like some b&h orders are arriving in the hands of users....
http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?4 ... ds/page140

Robert Tran

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Brunosc wrote:I preordered from one of Black Magic Design's authorized online resellers in France and contacted them to find out if they knew anything about shipping dates. They answered the next day, on August 30th, saying that according to the last information they had gotten from BM, they would be able to start shipping sometime between Sept 20th and Oct 5th.

Where did you pre-order it and when (I pre-ordered my camera at Visual Impact) ?

Peter J. Odio

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 5:58 pm

I contacted ADORAMA today and was told "sometime in September".

I called my client and said. I'll like to confirm the shooting schedule starting "sometime in September"

WTF!

I understand that the camera is late, but I can appreciate been a strait shooter. Yes, we all know it was announced for July, then August and now "sometimes in September". PLEASE!

paul schefz

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 6:13 pm

this is driving everybody nuts....
blackmagic really could have handled this better....the worst is that nobody seems to know.....the dealers don't know? some show unboxing vids? why not ship that first camera out to the first guy who ordered? then someone gets one from b&h although they officially don't seem to know? someone else is waiting for fedex because the BMCC is on the truck? but yet we are still getting official statements about delayed shipping and problems with parts?
i understand that this is a little overwhelming for blackmagic but there really should be some transparency....
if you can't ship in numbers before october, you should know by mid august (at least) and say so....if that turns into mid september, even better....but pushing the date back and back and shipping to users just creates this frenzy....
of course self control would help as well....:)

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 1:09 am

PODIO wrote:I contacted ADORAMA today and was told "sometime in September".

I called my client and said. I'll like to confirm the shooting schedule starting "sometime in September"

WTF!

Im not trying to be rude, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a while.

PetePolyakov

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 2:08 am

and who said that I'm over reactive?.. and it's just begin I suppose.

On the first place people needed to know when Blackmagic Design WILL RELEASE pre-orders (April-September).
I know that you guys have a plan of the production and before people started to act really crazy I believe better to publish this plan. Because if not, I think all customers will turn life of BMD in hell.

If the company would publish something like
April-June pre-orders North America - late September.
April-June pre-orders Europe - late September.
April-June pre-orders Other countries - start of October.
July-September pre-orders North America - start of October.
July-September pre-orders Europe - start of October.
July-September pre-orders Other countries - Late October.

something like this..

it would have much more sense.

And than longer you are waiting, than more angry your customers than faster you loose their loyalty. I'm not sure if people who work in the PR department graduated from college, but from my own experience of 10 years work in election headquarters in pr and counter-pr fields, the best way in this situation - preventive inform shots. You are open, you are in touch with client, and you don't hide anything.
In the situation where is no options in the same budget (except bolex) you will get more support from your clients, will calm down the storm that going to happen. And I think that you should believe in fact, it's going to happen.

Personally I just wanted to know when exactly I will get my pre-order. I understand difficulties that you have, but it doesn't change the fact that I want to be informed.

Best,
Pete

P.S. I think you are monitoring professional forums and see that people say about this situation.

Michael Beck

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 2:15 am

PetePolyakov wrote:Personally I just wanted to know when exactly I will get my pre-order. I understand difficulties that you have, but it doesn't change the fact that I want to be informed.

Best,
Pete

The fact is that they don't know. They could guess and tell you something, but if they miss the date then you would be even more angry.

It would be nice to get some gind of regular update though. even if they just said things like "We don't know yet, we are still trying to get parts in faster etc." Or, we are shipping x amount to these country's distributers this week etc."

But the bottom line is that they are working as hard as they can and you will get your pre-order when you get it. I wish there was a better answer, but there simply is not. :(
------------
-Michael Beck

PetePolyakov

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 2:44 am

Hi Mike,
I suggested the option how it could look like. They know how many pre-orders they have, they have plan of release these orders. Well, they could do this instead publish phrases that doesn't mean anything. W

PetePolyakov

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 2:53 am

PODIO wrote:I contacted ADORAMA today and was told "sometime in September".

WTF!

hahahahahaha.... it's really funny :))) be strong brother, it's not gonna happen in September. If all of us will get Blackmagic Design Camera in September I will shave my head online, live and will sing "BMD" on my head. lol )))
Last edited by PetePolyakov on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 3:36 am

I wanted to jump in on this thread.

Would love to give dates and a more exact timeline, but right now that is not possible until we get info on when that slow to arrive component will arrive in bulk. We want to be as transparent as possible, but have to make sure that any information communicated is accurate.

We really appreciate your patience. When information is available, I will be jumping on this forum with the news right away.

I also wanted to note that we want this forum to be a place for civilized discussion. Questioning anyone's intelligence or competence, whether a customer or a Blackmagic employee, will be edited out.

Thanks again for all the discussion and enthusiasm.

Terry Frechette
PS: Syracuse University. Newhouse School of Communications.

PetePolyakov

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 4:55 am

Hi Terry, In first I wanted to say
I'm sorry, I didn't want to hurt your feelings, but as I see from your P.S.. I kinda did.
Sorry again and nothing personal, and I wish you good luck in your career.

About the situation: as everyone can see and you definitely know, some reasons stop you to show the real numbers. Except the information about Syracuse University (good university btw. several friends graduated from there) and Newhouse School of Communications.. no any other transparent information about the question that all of us have. Everything else, just phrases that people was repeating last 40 years.

I will avoid to comment this theme in future. In situations when you asked yes or no, 2 or 4.. and your opponent answers - thanks for your patience, we will let you know as soon as possible.. it's have no sense to continue the discussion. because it's not the discussion.

I fully enjoyed the transparence and professionalism of communication (in general).
I lost my loyalty to BMD but not to Terry, because Terry just a person, as all of us. Thanks Terry.

Good night.

Antonio Rosiello

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 9:41 am

Well guys, what can I say?
I'm new in this forum, so I don't want to start arguing about shipping dates or questioning BM's professionality.
Anyway I live in Italy and yes, I'm waiting too for my Black Magic CC and I too planned a documentary in October just because I thought the camera would be out then. I'm leaving to south america october 10th and I hope to get my camera by that date.

Hope BM can solve this situation because we all are waiting for this wonderful camera!

bhook

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 12:08 pm

I hope this is viewed as civilized because in no way am I trying to insult anyone. If transparency and accuracy are important and shipping is underway (as announced), then those two admirable goals can be achieved by publishing quantitative information.

BMD knows how many preorders there are and certainly knows how many have shipped. I think many of us would welcome regular Friday updates of how many units have shipped and how many preorders are left to deliver. A colorful chart would be nice to look at.

:D

Craig

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Please please release some units, I don't care for the mft mount and felt a little insulted to read of a new camera before I am told of a release date for the ef version I have paid my supplier for.
Do not take this as rude, just saying exactly what most of your potential customers are thinking. ;)

RichDorato

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 4:29 pm

It's unfortunate, the lack of info people have on what's going on. Received this email this morning...

"There is a SINGLE Black Magic distributor in the US, where we of course get our stock from, and they deny that they have shipped a single camera to date, to anyone. Apparently some cameras have been shipping to overseas customers for a few weeks.

We did get an email from BMD saying that some of the components for the cameras are coming into the factory slower than expected from their suppliers, but they are working to rectify that."

Did the US distro not get any units?

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 7:28 pm

PetePolyakov wrote:Hi Terry, In first I wanted to say
I'm sorry, I didn't want to hurt your feelings, but as I see from your P.S.. I kinda did.
Sorry again and nothing personal, and I wish you good luck in your career.

I think the P.S. was tongue and cheek. But we are very serious about this:

I also wanted to note that we want this forum to be a place for civilized discussion. Questioning anyone's intelligence or competence, whether a customer or a Blackmagic employee, will be edited out.

We just want to make sure that we can good lively discussions without resorting to name calling or any sort of denigration. It can be done.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Bill Rich

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 10:31 pm

I believe BMD is being very transparent by informing us the manufacturing of the cameras is slower than expected due to shipment delays in critical parts.. There's no way to determine when the camera will show up at your door.. they have no way to know where you placed your order.. how many folks pre-ordered before you.. and how quick the shipments take to your vendor.. then turned around and shipped to you..

Just speaking for myself here.. but I would rather wait for a properly built camera than one slapped together with spare parts to satisfy a few folks that have trouble waiting.. Relax.. the camera will get to you.. Also be smart about booking any "Cinema' style gigs before having the camera in your hand.

So while you wait.. now you can decide if you want the EF mount or M4/3 mount. (Pssst.. If I were you I would cancel my EF mount and switch to the M4/3 mount... so I can get my EF mount faster!) :D
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

RichDorato

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 10:54 pm

I assume they know how many were shipped out, but they've avoided giving such a simple number. Also, if only B&H received any units in the US, they could have told us that. This communication would alleviate 100's of people eagerly waiting, wrongfully hoping they may have been included in the last shipment. They could have better prepared expectations with direct, simple facts instead of a vague kind of "some have gone out somewhere".

I understand they can't say when I personally will receive my unit(s), but letting us know that they haven't shipped any units to the US distributer yet would drastically reduce the constant speculation and gossip.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Olivermcgarvey

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 8:57 am

Hype is a wonderful marketing tool. Think of it this way, if you were a budding camera manufacturer (assuming the camera's work and can be made) and you created everyones dream machine, wouldn't you allow people to fight/gossip over your camera for as long as possible. Cunning politics mixed with perhaps the greatest leap in Cinematographic history in the last 30 years.

...i would love to be wrong, but i fear the hype machine has taken over for the moment...

Justin Charlton

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Olivermcgarvey wrote:Hype is a wonderful marketing tool. Think of it this way, if you were a budding camera manufacturer (assuming the camera's work and can be made) and you created everyones dream machine, wouldn't you allow people to fight/gossip over your camera for as long as possible. Cunning politics mixed with perhaps the greatest leap in Cinematographic history in the last 30 years.

...i would love to be wrong, but i fear the hype machine has taken over for the moment...

I'm hungry for a new camera and the Sony FS700 is looking pretty tasty right about now. I'll take slow motion over raw. Better yet, I'll take a camera that can actually be purchased. :lol:

Coralio Ballester

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 5:30 pm

How can anyone say that this is a marketing strategy? Come on!! "limited quantities"??? Look over internet, youtube and vimeo. Apart from the known reviews, I could only see no more than two or three videos from this camera. So for me "limited" means that at most, BM has been able to ship 20 cameras worlwide, in the best scenario.

Please, people at BM, be clear about the situation and say NUMBERS. It is your responsability, since it is you who established the initial shipping date. Its actual custumers (most already preordered and pay for the camera) who need you to be more professional. Stop blaming others, and accept that we, customers, are upset with the way you are handling all this.

Another thing is the micro MFT version. This creates even more confusion on this company, by establishing shipping dates for this version, when they have not been able to ship the initial version yet to a non-negligible mass of consumers.

As long as you are not more clear, we have the right to protest in this forum. If you, guys at BMD moderating this forum, feel that we have doubts about your professionality, maybe it is because somethings are not beeng properly handled in your company, and not because we just went crazy.

RichDorato

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 5:57 pm

If its a marketing strategy it's not working well (on me). I happily paid for the camera in April, all they had to do was unveil it. Now it's September and I'm thinking of buying something else, because a camera to shoot with is worth more to me than "hype".
www.whoatemyteeth.com

bhook

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Just to be clear: I too have prepaid in full at an authorized US dealer who was on the same list as B&H right after announcement at NAB. My dealer rep tells me the US distributor hasn't received any BMCs at all (as of last Thursday) and he has no idea when to expect cameras. Yet, B&H has delivered at least two BMCs to customers on the top of their preorder list. I wish you would have made it clear that some US dealers were getting cameras directly from BMD and others were going to have to w8 until BMD ships to the US distributor. I could have placed my preorder with B&H very early on had I realized they were going to be treated preferentially. Any explanation for this strategy?

David Regenthal

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Isn't there anyone here over the age of 18?
For gawd sakes, how long did it take for the first Red Scarlet to be delivered?
If you want to know what B&H received why not contact them?
No manufacturer, large or small, advertises specifics of their supply chain (which would be unfair to smaller shops).

Quit bitch'n about stuff and grow the heck up . . . Jeez!
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

bhook

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 7:05 pm

dregenthal wrote:Isn't there anyone here over the age of 18?

Quite a bit over the age of 18.

dregenthal wrote:For gawd sakes, how long did it take for the first Red Scarlet to be delivered?

This has absolutely nothing to do with BMD and the BMC I bought from them (unless you have the disturbing concept that the Scarlet fiasco set the new marketing and distribution standard for the Industry).

dregenthal wrote:If you want to know what B&H received why not contact them?

Because I didn't buy my BMC from B&H. I probably would have had I fully understood the marketing and distribution strategy at the time.

dregenthal wrote:No manufacturer, large or small, advertises specifics of their supply chain (which would be unfair to smaller shops).

Many manufacturers in many different industries regularly report sales figures.

dregenthal wrote:Quit bitch'n about stuff and grow the heck up . . . Jeez!

Exactly...but not as civilized as I would have put it.
Last edited by bhook on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coralio Ballester

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 7:13 pm

dregenthal wrote:Isn't there anyone here over the age of 18?
For gawd sakes, how long did it take for the first Red Scarlet to be delivered?
If you want to know what B&H received why not contact them?
No manufacturer, large or small, advertises specifics of their supply chain (which would be unfair to smaller shops).

Quit bitch'n about stuff and grow the heck up . . . Jeez!

Jeez! Your last sentence probably has nothing to do with your age, but with your level of education. Dear friend, we just complain about what we think is a bad communication policy from BMD. Please, do not compare this to RED. RED did it awfully, it was so disguting. And Blackmagic, in my opinion, is not doing very well.

David Regenthal

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 2:00 am

My bad, wasn't my intention to make it personal.
Shouldn't vent my frustration here . . . just got a little tired reading so many complaints before (or at the same time) the first units were actually being delivered.

Yes, I'd bet that BM will post sales data (as everyone else in business does) but that's not the same as asking to know what dealer got how many . . . which simply isn't done, if for no other reason than it would put certain dealers at a disadvantage. I can't think of any manufacturer that would do that, especially when supplies are limited (or non-existent).

Peace.
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

bhook

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 2:11 am

I understand what you're saying but honestly, why have a US distributor if you're willing to ship directly to B&H? You could go one step further and ask why have a list of authorized dealers at all when you could sell directly to customers? I wonder if this wasn't just a handful of cameras thrown out the door so that BMD could say "they're shipping". Personally, I don't consider the BMC "shipping" until the US distributor receives cameras and sends them out to authorized dealers who have taken preorders...you know, the official distribution network BMD has established.

But, I've probably crossed over the line to the point that I'm guilty of harping now and I apologize for that. It's just frustrating when you ask politely for a number and you get a vague semantic enigma as though there is something to hide. I really just want my camera...

simonkn

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 4:58 am

ladies and gentlemen .....

Where is all the moaning and whining from our Australian filmmakers??? Why? Well Blackmagic is an Australian company right? Why don't they get the first cameras? Why should all the first cameras go to B&H? Its a small insignificant point but try and put some perspective on this whole " i've paid for it in April I need it now" rubbish.. You put your money down on a product with a "suspected delivery date" and no more. (I can only speak for the UK but I cannot image its different anywhere else) Everyone has had the opportunity to take their FULLY REFUNDABLE deposit and purchase something else? As others have said... why commit a job to a camera on a certain date without actually holing the camera?

I was told as a youngster (in the early 1970's - before I get age discriminated.. sorry dissed by da yoof) that "i want - never gets"...

I was going to suggest how silly this thread is going to look in a years time when we're all using our cameras on firmware3.0 and raving about it. But can I suggest you actually read this thread from top to bottom and think about who you are, where you are and where we all are in the great scheme of artistic filmmaking...? I've just done it and I can tell you I'm thoroughly embarrassed and saddened by the petty-ness and immaturity of much of that latter pages. The energy wasted bemoaning the lack of a shipping date could have be used for much more creative purposes.

Go out if you have a camera already and make films/docos and more. If this is your first camera, refine your scripts, collect ancillary parts and continue your education... One day soon a big parcel will arrive with your name on it and I suspect a great many people so vocal at present- from that day on will never post on this site again...

I'm sorry to be patronising but i've had enough... i genuinely scan this board in case a BMD rep has posted a comment regarding shipping / new products etc or even a relevant comment from someone on the production workflow this camera produces and this is what I read. Remember, BMD put this board up for us. They can take it away again. These posts are the legacy that will remain as thousands of new owners come to this site over the years looking for information, inspiration and probably the odd firmware update. Is this how we want it all to start???

regards

SK

Nick Bedford

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 11:13 am

I'm an Australian waiting "patiently". Sorta.

It's disappointing. I recently queried avtechvideo.com.au on the ETA (pre-ordered in May) and they had no idea. "Mid to late September maybe".

Really? Granted it's only the 9th of September and deliveries / shipping takes time but hey.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

simonkn

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 11:41 am

would it be controversial to suggest that we'll all have EF-mount cameras by December?
That seems to be a good benchmark so that they wont disappoint anyone on a pre-order list for EF's who'll be gazumped by someone getting a MFT version??

So only another three months???

SK

Nick Bedford

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 12:26 pm

simonkn wrote:would it be controversial to suggest that we'll all have EF-mount cameras by December?
That seems to be a good benchmark so that they wont disappoint anyone on a pre-order list for EF's who'll be gazumped by someone getting a MFT version??

So only another three months???

SK

I hope not! I paid mine off in July because I thought they'd start shipping relatively soon. Then August shipping date.. It's now September. I'd like to have the camera I paid $3,000 for in time to actually do something useful with it.

Until this camera came along, I was going to have to deal with the 60D's footage, or spend my non-existant life savings on a RED Scarlet-X.

I can't really do anything about shipping/manufacturing delays, but I can get tired of having no idea when it may come (which is much better just to know, even if it is delayed).
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Toby Angwin

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm finding out tomorrow if my request to swap to the MFT version has happened yet. I also paid in full in late May but I'm happy. I watched friends wait much longer for RED ones.

I'm just glad I will end up with the right camera for me instead of the camera I was working out how to make work for me but was a bit of a compromise. (For me)
Toby Angwin - Director/Compositor

http://www.soupkitchenfilms.net
@soupkitchen on Twitter
http://vimeo.com/soupkitchen

Eric Santiago

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 3:53 pm

IBC will wrap up this week.
If BMD plays it smart they will mention something tomorrow or Friday which seems to be their go to announcement day.
As far as this December delivery talks go, I know a lot of people that wont go with that date since its too close to MFT so called availability date.
With all this noise for this camera, I wont be surprised if the other options drop a bomb (whether a new model or crazy low price) on us.

Jason Hinkle

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 6:58 pm

I was going to suggest how silly this thread is going to look in a years time when we're all using our cameras on firmware3.0 and raving about it. But can I suggest you actually read this thread from top to bottom and think about who you are, where you are and where we all are in the great scheme of artistic filmmaking...?

Sadly in a years time people will be griping about the delay of firmware 4.0 because it is the sole cause of production delay on their upcoming film! I think it is just a symptom of amateurs who are extremely excited about this camera (I'm not judging, I'm an amateur myself and equally excited about the camera). There is always a "better" camera coming in 12 months and we shouldn't let that stop us from shooting on whatever is available now.

I actually own a few pieces of Black Magic gear (well, actually my company owns a switcher and some converters). The switcher is a nice solid piece of gear but it has it's glitches and, in fact, we had to return 2 defective ones before we finally got a working one due to likely a bad production run. So I am happy that Black Magic is taking time to ensure quality before shipping this out because there would be much gnashing of teeth if these cameras arrived not in fully working order. My 7D still seems to be functioning so I'll go out and shoot on that until my cinema camera shows up!

Antonio Rosiello

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 4:10 pm

"Mid to late September maybe".

They say the same here in Italy... I think they don't have a clue at all
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography