Black Magic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Firmware Update

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

scottrotton

Black Magic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Firmware Update

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 12:39 am

Hi All,

I bought a BM IS Thunderbolt a fwe days ago and ive been extremely disappointed with its reliability so far.

it was purchased to live stream with Wirecast, it comes as a recommended device by the hardware session. When i installed the BM software on Windows it asked to update the firmware which kept failing. I decided to try and use it without update as i was running out of time.

After hours of trying to connect to my video source Canon HF G40 i eventually got it working at 720p (more on that later)

I did a quick stream to test for 15 mins and it seem to be working OK at the lower resolution, I then saved the settings ready for the actual live stream.

My PC then decides to blue screen every time i change either the black magic desktop software or wire cast to the correct 720 video settings, i imagine this is because its on some older firmware.

Anyway the only way i got this to work is to buy the Wirecast software for a Mac which cost me nearly 1k. Effectively buying the same software twice just so i wasn't embarrassed in front of my client saying unfortunately i provide the service you requested.

Anyone have some ideas on how i can force the device to get a firmware update, seems silly there isnt a way to also be able to manually download and force a firmware update like most other devices (or if there is i had a hard time finding the instructions for this)

This is my first and last BM device if it continues to be so temperamental.

Thanks for Any Help

System Specs (Mac Bootcamp)

BM Design Desktop Video 10.9.3.0

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-ETUP41A
System Manufacturer Apple Inc.
System Model MacBookPro11,3
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Unsupported
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4960HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Apple Inc. MBP112.88Z.0138.B25.1702171721, 17/02/2017
SMBIOS Version 2.4
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Apple Inc.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Australia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.15063.0"
Time Zone AUS Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.03 GB
Total Virtual Memory 22.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 10.5 GB
Page File Space 7.00 GB

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Black Magic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Firmware Updat

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 6:41 pm

We do not test with bootcamp so we cannot guarantee this will work. Using it with the standard OSX should have no issues with this. You will also see information on Windows Thunderbolt system requirements on the support page of our website if you choose to use an actual Windows system.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

scottrotton

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 3:06 am

Bootcamp should act as any other PC, it boots direct into a Windows OS no emulation.

So your saying if i use this on a PC it will update fine?

Colin Barrett

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Is there a reason why you wish to use it on the Windows partition of your Mac via Bootcamp? In other words, why not just carry out your tasks on the MacOS?
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

scottrotton

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Colin Barrett wrote:Is there a reason why you wish to use it on the Windows partition of your Mac via Bootcamp? In other words, why not just carry out your tasks on the MacOS?

Yes im a windows user and only buy mac because it was the best hardware at the time. All of my design and video software resides on the windows partition so if i want to make a slight change to graphics ive prepared etc i can do without rebooting into osx

Jason Dove

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 2:52 am

Hello,

I have a similar request to force update the firmware on the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=65724

I was prompted for a firmware update, I proceeded and the firmware update failed mid-way through. After that, the device was no longer recognized the the Blackmagic software: "Desktop Video Setup". The device IS recognized by my PC as being plugged in (Intel Thunderbolt) just like it was when the Desktop Video Setup was working properly.

Since there is not firmware update utility (publicly available) this cannot be done. It's a shame b/c now I am going to have to return the device.

We really need the engineers in Melbourne to make this utility available. I wonder who the product manager is for this product or if there is a product manager assigned to this product anymore.

I wonder if the lack of attention on this product is due to low profit margin? Possibly they increase the price such that they can justify an increased headcount for engineers and QA team... Or take some of the revenue from other products and add it to this product's ROI calc to justify additional attention... call it pull-through revenue.

The strategy to capture the lower-end market that AJA isn't catering to only works if the device actually works. I wonder if any Voice of Customer ever been done of if they know the true cost of a DOA or product failure? Possibly they should pull the brand manager into that conversation.

Return to Live Production