Output to external monitor from laptop: UltraStudio Mini?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Phil Side

Output to external monitor from laptop: UltraStudio Mini?

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 am

Hi,

I just wanted to check the currently recommended method of using an external monitor with a Windows laptop. Do I need an UltraStudio Mini Monitor?

Thanks.

Thomas Milde

Re: Output to external monitor from laptop: UltraStudio Min

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 6:17 am

Hello,

Mini monitor would be one possibility.
Just to make sure: You want to use the second monitor just as a viewing device, or as an extension for the GUI (dual Screen)?

Another possibility is the Intensity Shuttle. All depends a bit on the connectors you want to use.
Tech:
Win 10 pro, Ryzen 9 5900X, 128 GB, M.2 for media
RTX 3080 ti, Intensity Pro, DVR Studio + Fusion 18.x, Desktop Video 12.x

Phil Side

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 am

Thanks for the response. Yes, I want to use it as an extension to the GUI. I use a Deck Link on my PC but I'm going to be without that for quite a while. I've had another look at the Ultrastudio Mini, and it seems that is thunderbolt only. I guess that means my only option would be the intensity shuttle.

Is the functionality provided by the shuttle the same as the UltraStudio Mini/Deck Link?

Daniel Bănică

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 8:31 am

I'll double this.
What if I want to use external monitor as a grading monitor (I want to see on full screen how the final picture looks). What would be the smallest device to use (from notebook to monitor)?

Thomas Milde

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 am

OK, clarification:
Your laptop should have some kind of external videoport, be it HDMI or Displayport. Normally you should be able to connect any monitor to that, configure Windows to extend the display, and choose "dualscreen" in the DaVinci menus-> Workspace. It should recognize the second monitor.

In that configuration you can select "Cinema viewer" out of the menu or just press "CTRL-F" to get a fullscreen view on one monitor.

If you want to connect a dedicated grading monitor, then you need some of the mentioned hardware.
For the Ultrastudio mini Monitor you need a thunderbolt connector, the Intensity will work with either thunderbolt or USB3, you need to choose when buying, USB3 is a bit cheaper.

The limitation of the Intensity shuttle is the missing SDI ports.

I hope that sheds some light, feel free to look at the products page at the Blackmagic website.
Tech:
Win 10 pro, Ryzen 9 5900X, 128 GB, M.2 for media
RTX 3080 ti, Intensity Pro, DVR Studio + Fusion 18.x, Desktop Video 12.x

Uli Plank

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

I wouldn't trust any monitor for color if it's not connected via a proper I/O device (like the UltraStudio Mini).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Daniel Bănică

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Roger ;)

Return to DaVinci Resolve