Video Assist audio sync a tad off.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tony Esposito

Video Assist audio sync a tad off.

PostSun Jun 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Just purchased 2 video assist and cards to handle the record. Been using them on live events for recording concerts. I love these units! My set up is; I come directly out of the SDI program out of the ATEM 1 Switcher, into a Blackmagic 1X8 SDI DA and one of those feeds goes into the video assist for audio and video record. Now I know some media players will put off sync sometimes when viewing so I find the ones that work best. With this set up it is just a tad off (something really only editors will notice) from my audio to video sync. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or is there a better set up for me to use to feed the record.

I'm using SanDisk 256GB Extreme Pro 95MB 10 Cards

Thanks,
Tony

JesseMaitland

Re: Video Assist audio sync a tad off.

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 1:07 am

I too am having a sync issue. Im using a lexar 128gb Card. I was recording ProResLT and for the most part it was fine. I kept getting a dropped frame error, but tried various cards. Only one recording so far actually has a sync issue. It was a solid half second delay. My 5" video assist was connected directly via SDI to the MicroStudio 4k.
Jesse Maitland -
ATEM Production Studio 4k
Micro Studio 4K
and other awesome blackmagic gear

Tony Esposito

PostFri Jun 24, 2016 1:27 am

Humm, I didn't see a drop frame error on any of mine. If we don't get an answer soon I will write support and post answer in here.

Paul Peltekian

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 5:52 pm

I just got my VA 4k last week and I too am experiencing much worse audio drift then some of you are discribing. I still need to do some more tests, but there is a very noticable drift after several minutes and several frames off by the end of a one hour recording.

Anyone else experience this?

Tony Esposito

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 7:13 pm

I've only played with my audio delay box once so I need to set it up and watch lips and tune it in I guess. You would think they would already know from test that the audio is delayed by xx on the VA to help us out.

Paul Peltekian

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 7:18 pm

My guess is that it's dropping video frames, but audio continues to record as usual. For example, after a massive dropping of frames, video obviously skips, plays for another second or two, then show as Media offline in avid while audio continues to play normal.

Paul

Return to Live Production