Reframe/crop image in Davinci

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Richard Black

Reframe/crop image in Davinci

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi,

I would like to keep same format but want to go in tighter in a couple of the clips I have in the video I am editing. Crop it tighter or reframe/resize it - not sure of the correct term. (i.e. not change any formats, quality or anything, except for what is lost naturally when you go in a bit tighter)
Is that possible and what do I do?
Apologies if this has posted somewhere.

Richard
Richard Black

Thomas Milde

Re: Reframe/crop image in Davinci

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 4:42 am

Hi,

If you are on the "Edit" page, click on the clip in the timeline you want to work on so it gets a red frame, then go to the inspector. If it is not open, look in the top row for the inspector icon and open its window. There you can zoom, rotate and push around your picture.

On the "Color" page there is also a window in the lower part, where you can refame your clip in different ways.

You should read the manual, it is written very well for beginners.
Tech:
Win 10 pro, Ryzen 9 5900X, 128 GB, M.2 for media
RTX 3080 ti, Intensity Pro, DVR Studio + Fusion 18.x, Desktop Video 12.x

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 5:16 am

just be careful that any animations you do to that cropping affect all other parts of that clip in the same timeline track as well. So to do this with serveral parts of a long clip, copies dragged one track above the main timeline may be the way to go to animate their cropping parameters separately.

Dave Shortman

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 8:35 am

This is such a basic thing to do I suggest you watch some of these videos... https://www.youtube.com/user/goatseyeviewUK/videos

Richard Black

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks guys. Good advice.
Appreciate the help to this Davinvi newbie.
Richard Black

Marshall

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 3:33 am

I don't get this. I'm totally new and first thing I am tryign to do is crop.... I figured out how to use the crop tool in the edit menu, HOWEVER, what makes it actually apply the crop!? Its irritating to not actually see the crop completed. I only see the white lines with round white dots in the corners and in the middle of the image. This is probably so simple but none of the videos I've found show how to actually apply the crop at the new points you want it at.

chamoas

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:02 am

I have a question when I crop an image in Davicni 1, and then use soften to try to blend the picture over the one below, I get a shadow in the soften edge, is anyway to do the blending without generating this shadow

eager to learn

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 2:56 pm

Hi Thomas and all,

I'm using DR 12 for Windows 10.

I'm in the Edit Page and have Inspector open.

Which button(s) do I need to ores to start cropping?

All I want to do is focus the video lower on the screen as the camera had panned too high so you see part of the ceiling - I want to eliminate that ceiling part by zooming in on the video subjects by cropping?

Thank you.

Charles Bennett

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 4:46 pm

Charles, now I see, for the first time, that you are using DR12 not 17.1 like me, so it's not surprising that you are having trouble following advice and how tos.
These tutorials may help you a lot more.
https://www.youtube.com/c/GoatsEyeView/videos
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

xunile

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 4:55 pm

I think that might have been a typing mistake, he has referenced 16 multiple times in other posts and also talks about features not available in 12.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

eager to learn

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 9:56 pm

My apologies!

In a hurry, I mis-typed 12 when I mean I'm using DR 16.

So sorry.

eager to learn

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 8:53 pm

Hi All,

Major progress on my little video!

I have 2 last edits and that's it.

I have a 13 minute clip and it opens to a frame with bike handles awkwardly sitting to the right of the frame. I placed the Playhead at the very first frame of that scene, opened Inspector, chose the Video tab and grabbed the Slider for Cropping Right and cropped the handlebars 99% out of the scene. It's challenging moving the Crop slider with the mouse incrementally.

When I place the cursor in the number window next to Cropping Right and press the Arrow keys on my desktop keyboard the numbers don't change. The only way it seems I can change the numbers is if I type in a new number each time to see how far right the crop will go. Very time consuming trying to "guess" the correct number for just the correct Crop.

Also, when scene starts to play the Crop Number appears as .681 and then changes to a smaller number thereby showing so of the bike handlebars again. How can I "anchor" the Crop Right at .681?

The 2nd edit is cropping the top of the scene where a sliver of the ceiling is shown.

This may all be done well in Keyframes but I just want the quickest/easiest fix right now (I will study KeyFrames more after this is Rendered.

I'm just missing a small step/adjustment if you would please share your insight/experience Id be so grateful!

Thank you!

stylinlp38

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 5:43 pm

How do you enable "Crop" feature of an image? I got the guide markers on the image set. But "Enter" key doesnt crop the image like it does in Photoshop. What is the key or command to enact the Crop command?

eager to learn

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 9:49 pm

Hi stylin... In the Edit Page I found Cropping under the Inspector which is in the upper right corner of DR 17. Once Inspector is open, cursor down that Inspector screen and you should see Cropping. If you click on the little "ball" or "bullet point" graphic next to Cropping you can see how you can Crop Up/Down/Left/Right and adjust each crop to your liking. It's a really cool option in DR.

Peter Cave

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 2:54 am

stylinlp38 wrote:How do you enable "Crop" feature of an image? I got the guide markers on the image set. But "Enter" key doesnt crop the image like it does in Photoshop. What is the key or command to enact the Crop command?

Cropping in video editing apps works VERY differently than Photoshop. To reframe an image you just use resize and position controls.
The timeline has fixed dimensions so imagine the timeline as a window and you see the video clips through the window. Cropping only affects the edges of the clip as no scaling is applied when using the crop tool in the inspector.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve