Video Assist feature requests

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Alex Klutchevski

Video Assist feature requests

PostMon Aug 08, 2016 1:35 pm

Yes i know about feature requests but it is so slow, maybe that post will help. Those products are great, but the feeling that it lost some simple features...

Wanted features:
1. Turn off auto image flipping! When mounted on camera shoulder rig that auto "feature" is making me too nervous.
2. File naming, it is at least strange when there is no possibility to change recording clip names.
3. More color settings. Hue!
4. Anamorphic modes. Change pixel aspect ratio inside it. I assume it should be possible to do by firmware update.
5. Setting to playback recorded clip at other frames per second!
6. Possibility to mark in/out points at playback, so a portion of recorded clip can be loop playback'd. Very helpful on set.
7. Mark or comment clips! That is also a must for playback recording and future editing. I remember that this feature was in pocket camera, but it was absolutely making no sense there, because its hard anyway to type something on those small buttons. Here is an touch sensitive screen, why not use it fully?
8. Grab a still from captured source and overlay it on top of live image. That would be bomb feature for some type of creative work.

For future product:
1. Audio input with levels! For 5"
2. Communication with the camera, so you could hit record on screen and it would start record the camera also. Change camera settings and etc. It could be done easily with micro cinema at least
3. Original pop up screen protector/sun hood.
4. Simple RAW editing system. It would be a wonder for shooting process, if you could intercut right on set at least two frames for preview purpose! No need to save it, just playback together, understand that it works together and go on shot the rest. But if you will do a simple RAW editing system, that will allow me to intercut on set all what I have captured in a day and save a preview on card, that would be brilliant tool.

Thank You
Last edited by Alex Klutchevski on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timothy Cook

Re: Video Assist features requests

PostMon Aug 08, 2016 2:42 pm

+1 for #1.
I use my VA on my Ronin-M A LOT, and no matter what I do when filming in the overhead mode (eye level), the VA will always show a upside down image.
My only option is to flip my camera upside down and remount, but when shooting in the lower orientation the image will be flipped again. I also like to mount from the speedbooster foot for stability and can't do that when the camera is upside down. I also have to use a riser to clear the 18/35 when like this.
This makes having a gimbal where I can quickly switch from over head to lower carry without having to rebalance everytime invalid.

I know y'all are doing your best but this is such a annoying feature for filming at eye level with ronin gimbals and using a VA.

Thanks!
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Emilian Dechev

PostMon Aug 08, 2016 9:10 pm

ONLY 1 BIG REQUEST: get a HUE setting!

Stop that GREEN TINT madness!

timbutt2

PostMon Aug 08, 2016 9:19 pm

I think Anamorphic Mode should be fixed with Firmware 4.0 because it has it in camera. However, for other cameras I think that it might also be something that is taken care of in camera.

I wouldn't mind a way to turn off image flipping. That could be a useful tool.

And the sun screen has been suggested in another thread along with some 3rd party options: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48176&p=279568&hilit=video+assist+sunhood#p279562
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Chris Chiasson

PostMon Aug 08, 2016 11:11 pm

For current productions:

- Duel Channel Audio Recording for 4k model. So XLR isn't just on channel 1, and only channel 1.

- Meta data adding. Allow us to put some meta data in similar to the Pocket.

- Image flip lock would be great to prevent it from changing if doing a lot a camera movement.

- Allow us to move around when it zoomed in mode.

- True 4k Recording for 4k version (I mean seriously, it is called 4k. It should record true 4k)

- Fan controls, like no fan on while using as monitor.

- LUT recording. Allow us to record a grade of what we're filming. That way, for those who are working on a project where time matters, we can record Flat in camera, and record graded in the VA. We then can speed edit the grades, and if we're not happy, use the flats and grade those instead.

New products:

Add speaker to 5" version

Add 3.5mm jack for audio recording for 5"

Add Lanc to 5"

Add better and quieter fan.

Add way of recording micro cameras or similar Blackmagic Camera menus using VA's.

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 09, 2016 2:07 am

Nice suggestions, but many of them would require hardware changes. Mixing audio from one channel to the other requires a mixer circuit, which seems to be lacking. Also, recording full 4K to SD cards is not going to happen, SD cards can not support larger ProRes 4K (XQ) files. There is a recording monitor that has all these features, includes world class Mic Pres, full 2-channel mixer add on, limiters, records full 4K (XQ) and comes in 5-inch with external mic in and monitor out (a clean sounding monitor too), add the mixer for two XLR ins/outs, and 7-inch with same features, recording includes:
• 7" 1920 x 1200 Touchscreen Display, or 5-inch touch screen
• Record DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) up to 30 fps
• Record 1080p up to 120 fps
• Simultaneous 4K ProRes and 1080p H.264
• ProRes 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 Encoding
Monitor color calibration, and the list goes on...
Records to USB 3 compatible Speed Drives up to 1TB for longer recording times.
Uses Sony NP batteries, available in different watt-hour for longer recording times
Exposure tools imp clubbing Waveform, Vector scope, dual Zebra settings, False Color and more.

The recording monitor is the Video Devices PixE, which costs two to three times the cost of a VA. Adding these features increases cost, but you can get the PixE now, I did, and not wait for BM to update the VA down the road. Meanwhile you could add a SD MixPre to the VA, and get the audio part updated with better mic Pres, a mixer with limiters and pan control for getting on XLR input to both channels.
Cheers

The recording monitor includes
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gary Cole

PostTue Aug 09, 2016 2:21 pm

It would be great to be able to record audio without a camera attached (even if it recorded video black).

Why? Doing Voice-Overs/recording atmos/ambient sound FX at the end of a session/shoot when everything else has been de-rigged.

Not being able to use it as a free-standing audio recorder is a bit limiting.

Chris Chiasson

Re: Video Assist feature requests

PostSun Aug 14, 2016 11:46 pm

Gary Cole wrote:It would be great to be able to record audio without a camera attached (even if it recorded video black).

Why? Doing Voice-Overs/recording atmos/ambient sound FX at the end of a session/shoot when everything else has been de-rigged.

I would like this too. That way the monitor can be like a swiss army knife for both Video and Audio recording. Though I request some kind of watermark to be in the middle of the screen to show that you're only recording audio, and not video.

Also, I don't think a mixer is needed for dual channeling. A mixer is only needed if you want the second channel to have a higher or lower level. What I'm asking is no different then the same settings used when two audio channels are coming from the camera's HDMI signal that's already in the VA 4K. Bare minimal the same audio signal just needs to be cloned to the other channel, instead of being left blank. We can do this in post, I just prefer not to waste my time needing to mod every clip. Thus, why I'd want BM to program in the option when only one audio cable is being used.

Ben Helweg

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 7:34 am

Unsure if this or other posts are being read but I hope to contribute some requests that I've thought up since buying my Video Assist last year.
(And I will mention that the various firmware updates have been really appreciated and I've loved the new features they've introduced).

- The naming structure is problematic, with each new card having the same 'Capture0000', and it would be really helpful if it could be renamed or at least have some kind of date/random based numbering.
- As others have mentioned, being able to move or adjust the range of the focus zoom would be great.
- A simple means to push the monitor's colour calibration or tint towards red to offset some green in some way. (I understand some work was done to mitigate this).
- I doubt it's possible, but some kind of waveform or vectorscope would be extremely helpful.
- Option to reduce the overall luminance of the panel.
- An option to delete clips.

Thanks.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 1:44 am

Gary Cole wrote:It would be great to be able to record audio without a camera attached (even if it recorded video black).

The VA does not have an internal blackburst video generator, which is needed to record audio on a video recorder, as the audio file is embedded in the video file stream. You can do this by using an external mini blackburst generator, but you will need one with an HDMI it SDI output, to connect it to the VA.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

James Spurin

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Support for 3440x1440 resolution (allowing capture/display to widescreen monitors)

James Spurin

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 2:43 pm

Merge HDMI input sound source with XLR via VA

Denny Smith

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Merging audio from HDMI/SDI with XLR inputs is " mixing" 4-tracks of audio to two tracks. This requires a 4-channel mixer in the VA, which it does not have. Audio workflow in the VA4K us 2-channel only, so merging audio sources is not going to happen due to hardware limitations, and dan not be robe in a firmware update. Perhaps a new middle VA can add this feature, but not in the existing models.

The only monitor recorder I know off at a reasonable price that can do this is the Video Devices PixE, which requires the additional LR Audio mixer add on to do this.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Denny,

The Atomos recorders dropped a lot in price last few months.. For about the same money of the 4K VA you have a Atomos were you have 12 embedded channels, and 2 analog channels of audio.. Embedded and XLR.. You have filenames, Playlist of all files on the drive., you have all meters, and you have audio delay settable for the XLR inputs, Very wide range of supported SSD's..

I'm a very PRO BMD guy.. but at this point in time A Shogun or Inferno beats the 4K VA.. :roll:
An Inferno is 1295 Ex tax now.. But you get a 12G-sdi recorder...

I'm intrested what BMD comes with @ IBC in September...
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Correct Daniel, I forgot about the newer Atomos units. The PixE also has 8-channels of SDI embedded audio in addition to the two Analog channels, hasmassignable channels formthemaudio, gives themplay lists, and does delay to the analog audio to match/sync with the video being recorded, and has a 1929x1080 true 16:9 high res touch screen display. I prefer the smaller size of the PixE and it's more compact mSata drives, which can record up to 4096p30 resolution, supporting 6G SDI level A and B standards, which is enough for what I do. Both the Atomos SSDs and the Pix Speed Dives, can record longer takes withmits larger capacity, than what is currently available for the Video Assist4K SD UHS 2 cards than are currently supported.
Thanks for adding the Atomos monitor recorders to the discussion. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MartinVidic

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 1:19 am

I don't own a VA, but I would have bought it if it had 1500 nits like the shogun. That would be my #1 feature request.

Maybe even a super light VA that can't record?

The other reason why i didn't buy it was that i can't access some of the cameras menus with it. But I guess that just wouldn't work though sdi? Maybe with an additional cable for camera controls.

Quentin Smith

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Honestly, with the latest price drop ($995 for the Shogun Flame, with roughly the specs of the VA 4K + brighter screen + native HDR support + larger/cheaper SSDs + multi-channel audio), the Atomos recorders are looking pretty nice. Quite competitive with the $895 for the VA 4K. Kinda makes me want to sell my VA 4K and upgrade...

Darko Djerich

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 4:51 am

i just did that,sent my VA 4K straight back to supplier,i was lucky i didnt open the box cos i was away and ordered Atomos Flame 4K.
Feeling better now too for it, loyalty is out of the window since UM Pro
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

MartinVidic

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 3:22 pm

BUT I have the feeling with the recent price drop, BMD will come with out with a new high brightness recorder very very soon. Maybe even a light weight high brightness recorder? Looking forward to see VA2.0

Howard Roll

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 5:58 pm

The real missed opportunity with the VA line is not integrating with the micro cams. Just look at all the 3rd party micro control devices popping up. For a 5" monitor I prefer the VA to the Atomos versions despite the lack of features, the VA having better design and better screen. The only other option for 5" recorder is the PIX at 3 times the price. Once you step up to the 7" version there's a lot more competition at a similar price point. At this level it's really all about the features. Our new systems have replaced the KiPro rack units with the Shogun Studios and they're excellent machines, very intuitive, very flexible.

Emilian Dechev

PostMon Jul 31, 2017 11:14 pm

BMVA feature request:

make the ZOOM function area selectable by touch screen.

Why the URSA built-in monitor, can be zoomed to any area, just by dragging over the screen, but the Video Assist ZOOM is fixed?

Irakly Shanidze

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 7:25 am

It would be awesome to be able to adjust XLR audio delay. When I am feeding XLR to one channel and HDMI sound to another, there is a 1/8 second split between the two. Atomos recorders have a solution for this, I want one too! :)
Leica SL/BM Video Assist 4K, Panasonic Lumix DC-S1
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6
Mac Studio M1 • 32GB RAM

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm

So does the Video Devices Pix E. Adding audio delay would be a nice feature. The camera’s combined video/audio signal is always going to have a bit of delay when compared to a direct audio input, which has a shorter processing path.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography