Ease in to Stabilization

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Aharon Rothschild

Ease in to Stabilization

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 pm

I'm trying to use only part of the tracking stabilization, for example on a shot where the first part is smooth and the sexond half needs to be stabilized I'm trying the following in Davinci Resolve 14
1. Track the entire shot with the new Stabilizer tool
2. Select the first half of the shots tracking data
3. "clear selected track data"
4. setting a sizing keyframe on the frame before and on the frame where the tracking starts

Now I'm trying to match the keyframes and looking at the green, blue, pin,k and yellow, readouts for pan tilt zoom etc I want to ease in to the tracking from the start of the shot.
The info doesn't seem to reference anything I can use in the input sizing tab.

Has anyone found a better way to ease in to stabilization?

thanks!!
Aharon Rothschild
DP/Colorist
http://www.possibleimpossible.com/

rick.lang

Re: Ease in to Stabilization

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Sometimes I put a cut between the two parts. Depending upon your audio or the shot, you might use optical flow to go between the two clips, but it may not work for your needs. If I need to keep the whole clip together, I use the Classic Stabilizer with Strength maybe at 5 and smooth at 95 and Zoom Off. These kinds of shots are why I try to record at a higher resolution than my deliverable, so there's lots of room for Srabilize with Zoom On to give you a sharp stabilized image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Aharon Rothschild

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 3:37 pm

The reason for easing in is that early parts of the shot may have bumps that don't correct well, or not enough space around the characters to afford the zoom, or just simply smoother footage that needs to keep its movement.
Once the clip is cut I don't think there's a good way to match into the beginning of the stabilizer correction. That's the need here....
What I'm looking for is a way to interpret the info readouts on the stabilizer page and turn that into pan tilt data I can plug onto the key frame before the stabile begins.
Aharon Rothschild
DP/Colorist

Dermot Shane

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 pm

something DS does so well, showing trackpoints on a graph as Resolve does, but DS has many tools for smoothing across slectable area's, includeing only large changes, only small changes, only a selected frame range, steps of smoothing on and on... animating the data points manualy, deleteing and interoplating between last good points... very usefull

another option if you have BCC, is to open up Mocha and use that to stablise, it has just a flexiable trackpoint editor as DS, and is mile ahead of Resolve's tracker anyway

Igor Riđanović

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 12:18 am

The "ease-in" part sounds like something you'd have to do using an expression in Fusion or similar software.

If I understand correctly you want the shot to be unstabilized at the very start and then ease into the stabilized portion.

A generic expression would look something like this per X and Y channel:
Code: Select all
newValue = stabilization - stabilization * dampeningFactor

where:
Code: Select all
1 ≥ dampeningFactor ≥ 0

And dampeningFactor is tied to the timecode or clip frame count range in such a way that it's equal to 1 at the start of the range and equal to 0 at the end of the range.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 6:07 am

I wonder if there also might be an editorial way to accomplish the same thing:

1) have two rendered versions of the clip, one stabilized, one not

2) stack the two clicks on the edit page on different video tracks

3) do a seamless transition at the point you need to change from one to the other, shifting size if necessary.

I believe this will work, though it's admittedly kind of a sledgehammer approach.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Aharon Rothschild

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 12:42 am

Still looking for a solution two years later. This is something I run into at least once a month... There has to be a way to use only the part of the stabilizer when it works and lose the rest....
Aharon Rothschild
DP/Colorist

Mel Matsuoka

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 1:39 am

+1 to this. I've run into this scenario quite a bit recently, and it surprises me that most stabilization tools (not just Resolve) don't make it easy to ramp into or out of the stabilization.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

patrick.frey

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 7:47 am

As a workaround. Cut the clip into the parts where you need with and without stabilisation. Stabilize only the needed one(es), but disable the "zoom" option. When done, do your reframing and zoom actions by hand to match all together. If it's not flawless ad a seamless transition between the cutted clips. Maybe a the smooth cut transition do the job as well. Just play around, it depends on your source material which works best for you.
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit (1903) • Intel Core i7-3930K (6x3.20 GHz) • 32 GB RAM • SSD + Raid1 • GeForce GTX 980 Ti (6GB) (445.75) • Resolve 16.2.0055 • DeckLink 4K Extreme (11.2)

Igor Riđanović

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Aharon Rothschild wrote:Still looking for a solution two years later. This is something I run into at least once a month... There has to be a way to use only the part of the stabilizer when it works and lose the rest....

Two years later, here is one simple way to do it in Resolve 15 and above. I made a short video tutorial showing the steps.

www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Rolfe Klement

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 9:38 pm

Igor - great video- thanks!!
Intel i7 7820HK 2.9GHz RAM 32GB Windows 10 Home V1803 64Bit
2 x 2 TB NVME Samsung Pro
GTX 1080
www.creativesunshine.com

Dominik Gehring

PostFri Jun 10, 2022 11:02 am

Igor Riđanović wrote:
Aharon Rothschild wrote:Still looking for a solution two years later. This is something I run into at least once a month... There has to be a way to use only the part of the stabilizer when it works and lose the rest....

Two years later, here is one simple way to do it in Resolve 15 and above. I made a short video tutorial showing the steps.

This was a big help Igor!
For people that don't dare to touch fusion it would be nice to make the strength slider keyframe-able in the edit page.
-----------------------
www.kg-studio.ch

Return to DaVinci Resolve