An Amazing piece of Technology

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Mas

An Amazing piece of Technology

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Hello All - I recently downloaded the trial version of DaVinci Resolve 14 and I'm amazed!

I'm an old timer in Mac systems and went through the normal; final Cut - Final Cut Pro and have been skimming by with I-Movie on small projects. I've been in RC models helicopters for decades in fact, I built and designed the first aerial drones to back in the 70's. With he advent of millions of new drone pilots, the DaVinci editor is going to be a shoe in most all these guys with it's affordable price. I'm amazed just how easy it was for me to transform my old editing program into Resolve 14.

I searched but could not find an answer to a few questions;

Is there any difference to the DaVinci Resolve program if i buy it from B&H Photo or just download it from your site.

Is the "Retime Curve" slomo feature locked on the trial version or am I doing something wrong since its ghost out when I select it.

Could you point me to a link to show the locked features on the trial version?

Many Thanks - Mike
www.rotory.com

Hector Berrebi

Re: An Amazing piece of Technology

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 6:55 pm

Mike Mas wrote:Is there any difference to the DaVinci Resolve program if i buy it from B&H Photo or just download it from your site.

Is the "Retime Curve" slomo feature locked on the trial version or am I doing something wrong since its ghost out when I select it.

Could you point me to a link to show the locked features on the trial version?

Many Thanks - Mike

Hi Mike

1. For now, the Studio version still requires a physical dongle, so if B&H sells it, it is different than the downloaded version which is limited on several features.

2. For retime curves, right click the clip in the edit tab, select - Retime curve. Alt click to add keyframes, in the top part of that window you have a button for control handles.

3. There used to be a list on the BMD website but it seems to be gone.
most features are available in the free version.
notable exceptions are:
Larger than UHD projects
Noise reduction/motion blur tools
Stereoscopic tools
Several (good) OFX tools
HFR exports up to 100fps
Multiple GPU support
HDR support

a few other things.

hector
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Mike Mas

Re: An Amazing piece of Technology

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 7:52 pm

Many thanks for the reply - I ordered it from B&H and it has the dongle but I downloaded studio from the BM site. Absolutely love Resolve and my new Micro Panel.
www.rotory.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve