Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 9 Training Videos

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ray Tragesser

Fusion 9 Training Videos

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Hello,

When will there be training videos posted showcasing the new Planar tracking, 3D camera solve and the Delta Keyer? Its great that Fusion 9 has arrived, but we want to see how it works!

Ray T

Edwin Rivera

Re: Fusion 9 Training Videos

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 4:45 pm

for now there aren't many tutorials because the product is new

new tools:

camera tracker
planar tracker
delta keyer

but for the most parts fusion 8 tutorials can work just as fine

Ragnar Egeland

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 9:13 pm

Camera tracking in Fusion 9

Eugene Afanasiev

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Would love to see some hard moving camera tests, like the handheld with lots of blur chunky movement big distortion rolling shutter etc - how the tracker applies in the real world situations. There is no interest in a perfect monotonous camera movement, where you can animate scale with 2 keyframes and the object gets almost set in the scene without any trackers.
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Miltos Pilalitos

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 10:38 pm

Eugene Afanasiev wrote:Would love to see some hard moving camera tests, like the handheld with lots of blur chunky movement big distortion rolling shutter etc.

You are describing shots that no camera tracking software exists that can solve.

There are dedicated camera solving experts that do hard manual work to create good motion paths out of shots like the ones you are describing mixing different parts of a tracked shot with weird science and countless hours of work. There is no fire and forget solution yet for this problem.

I had a shot once not even half as bad as what you are describing and after weeks of trial and error with every single camera tracking software available (including SynthEyes) by many many people, it was eventually solved by an expert of ILM in Canada who manually tracked it by eye (true story).
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

Eugene Afanasiev

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Well, I'm not talking about that bad situations, but the common real world situations.
I've seen nuke's camera tracker could track the hard scene that the pf track couldn't and I've seen and also used a lot After Effects's 3d tracker with its experimental features and usually it could do a much better job than nuke's tracker. So my natural interest of how good Fusion's tracker is.
And when I use the phrase "a tracker could track" I mean that with a little bit of trial and error and tweaking the parameters you get an automated camera track which is production usable.
__
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Eugene Afanasiev

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 11:01 pm

and as for the tests, I just demand to shred the envelope to discover the worst example it could track.
Cause we've all seen the good examples of any camera tracker capable to accomplish. And also by having the good vfx supervisor, the production wouldn't face the 'bad situations' where the only saving is manual track by a human eye. So I think it is a good thing to through some footage hard to track to face and discover all the obstacles before the actual production footage is done. If it's capable of solving bad footage and won't return an unresolvable error, then it would be perfect for the great footage!
__

Miltos Pilalitos

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 1:07 am

Just because Nuke's tracker returns a solved camera it doesn't mean that said camera track is correct. My experience with Nuke's tracker is that it sucks. When fed with difficult shots it almost never returns a good track. Even though it thinks that it did.

I have no experience with AE so i can't comment.

Even when a VFX supervisor is on set, a good trackable shot is not guaranteed. It is very frequent that performance or happy accidents are valued more than a smooth camera move. So when the choice is between those two, a smooth easy-to-track shot will never be the one to end in the edit.

Time and testing will tell how good the tracker in Fusion is. So far i like what i see!

Only the fact that we finally have the tools we were asking for the last 4-5 years is a reason to be excited!

I am sure many videos will follow about the new features. Fusion is on fire!
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

Uli Plank

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 1:58 am

No camera tracker can handle rolling shutter correctly. Period.
Difficult tracking shots need to be shot with global shutter whenever possible. That's why you should have the VFX supervisor present in pre.

Blur is another problem and it's quite advisable to shoot with shorter exposure times and introduce blur later, when you have motion vectors anyway.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Bryan Ray

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 2:50 am

All of that said, it isn't unreasonable to ask for a demonstration of how the tracker does with more difficult footage such as we frequently see in production. I have a couple of shots in mind that I'm going to try it on next week. I'll at least do a write-up. If I feel up to it I might also do a video. Probably not, but you never know.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

David Kibui

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 4:30 am

Here is a planar track by Rob Redman. I am sure more are coming but how come BMD have not post anything about the release of Fusion 9? Even the Siggraph presentation! I wish they borrowed a leaf from Maxon, (Cinema 4D) they communicate about their events, stream them and post them on Cineversity, Vimeo and Youtube. You are always aware what is happening and what is new

robredman

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi David and thanks for sharing my video. Plenty more coming. I have to agree that Maxon very good at spreading the word (I'm a Maxon beta tester) but BMD have a much much wider product range to manage. They're getting there!

Ragnar Egeland

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Seems like I have posted links to videos that already have been posted. I wasn’t aware of that since they do not show up on my side (Europe). This is what I see : https://aruba.i.lithium.com/t5/image/se ... 7FD1?v=1.0
Note!! It is a different case but the screen error is the same.

It’s the same in Crome, Microsoft edge, Pc, phone or tablet.
So sorry for that.

Chad Capeland

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Uli Plank wrote:No camera tracker can handle rolling shutter correctly. Period.
Difficult tracking shots need to be shot with global shutter whenever possible.

That would mean you couldn't shoot on an Alexa, RED, Ursa 4.6K, or Canon.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Uli Plank

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 2:41 am

Most of the pro cameras have much shorter RS than any photographic camera and Red even has a method for eliminating it (called Motion Mount). You can get away with low RS if the motion in the shot is not too extreme.

But I personally know VFX supervisors who demand global shutter cameras like the Sony F55 for critical shots or they insist on the confirmation in written form that the have warned about imperfections in the result. Of course, these are people who have the reputation to afford it ;-)

Post filters can help if the largest part of the shot is just a pan, the RS value is known exactly and you can afford some resolution loss.

In short: you can't shoot just any scene for 3D tracking with an Alexa, URSA, Canon Younameit and expect a perfect result from a tracker. Can you fix it in post? Maybe, with lots of manually mapping out bad tracking points and manually correcting the track. Does that make economical sense? Not really!

P.S. Sorry for derailing the thread, but this is about learning too.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ragnar Egeland

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 8:00 pm

New video.

David Kibui

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 4:53 pm

robredman wrote:Hi David and thanks for sharing my video. Plenty more coming. I have to agree that Maxon very good at spreading the word (I'm a Maxon beta tester) but BMD have a much much wider product range to manage. They're getting there!

I am so happy to hear that you are making more Fusion tutorials, you are the best at training/teaching.

I completely agree with your observation on product range for BMD as compared to Maxon. I was trying to express an observation, perhaps a little frustrated but I honestly want them to do well. I am like so many here rooting for them, Fusion is amazing and derserves to be at the top.

Anyway please make more tutorials, if possible, please cover the channel booleans tool. I have had a good deal of headache trying to understand the tool. :?: :?: . I would love to see your take on the tool.

Yogendra Singh

PostWed May 16, 2018 7:17 am

strange, I didn't find Lynda.com course on fusion 9
https://www.instagram.com/weddings_by_yogendra/

Resolve Studio 18.0.1
Fusion Studio 16.2.1

Thierry Bergeron

PostThu May 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Lynda probably don't have a demand for it

Return to Fusion