Web Presenter Video Cropped in Chrome

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Daniel Powell

Web Presenter Video Cropped in Chrome

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 12:29 am

Hello,

My church has been using the Web Presenter for the last few weeks to live stream sermons on Facebook Live and it has worked very well, but today the video was cropped! When I load the video feed in other programs I don't have the same issue. This issue was reproducible on two different machines. I searched for other instances of this issue on this forum and others, but couldn't find anything. This issue is driving me crazy, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Daniel Powell

Jerry Harclerode

Re: Web Presenter Video Cropped in Chrome

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 11:44 pm

We are having the same problem, just started, figured it was a chrome issue, but cannot find anything that helps. Did you find anything?

Tim Douglas

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 8:25 am

Are you still having this issue?
Can you include some footage or screen captures of the setup and settings.

Since you've had this issue on 2 different machines, this is a bit of a long shot but...

It sounds like an issue in the properties for your Video Capture Device (in "Sources"). It may be set to the wrong resolution.

This can happen if you plug the Web Presenter into a different USB port or for some other reason it is recognised as a new camera and you have to add it as a new Video Capture Device, sometimes it will assume the wrong resolution by default.

Phil Hadfield

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 2:09 pm

I have seen this issue with Webex as well.

Wayne Rutherford

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 4:07 pm

You can right click on your source
then fit to screen. Command F
Attachments
OBS.png
OBS.png (339.06 KiB) Viewed 6859 times

Daniel Powell

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks all for weighing in. I responded to Jerry, but in a private message accidentally. As an update, I'm continuing to have the issue.

Tim, I had that thought, but do you think that would cause this issue to occur in Chrome, but not in other programs like Skype? I should also add that previously I wasn't using OBS at all and it worked fine. If I use OBS now, I can get it to work correctly, but I'm hoping not to have to use OBS to make it as simple as possible for volunteers. I don't have the Teranex Mini Smart Panel, which seems to limit some of my ability to change its settings, so I ordered that and it should arrive today.

Phil, did you just learn to live with it? Or did you find a fix?

Thanks, Wayne. I don't personally mind using OBS, but we have volunteers operating this thing, so I'm trying to have as few steps as possible... It's the fallback plan if I can't find a different solution.

TrevorCurington

Re: Web Presenter Video Cropped in Chromr

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm having the same issue. Running USB in to a Mac mini straight to Facebook Live using Chrome. I've tried everything from unplugging cables, restarting computer and web presenter, changed inputs, settings, firmware, etc. can't get it to stop cropping the image. When I open up the Photobooth program video is cropped there as well so it do set seem to be just Chrome or Facebook live. I have the smart panel and the signal to that display is correct (not cropped) but once it hits the computer it gets cropped. Would rather not have to use software to fix this.

I'm not around it to get screen shots or photos of anything today.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 5:05 pm

There seems to be a bug somewhere.. Not sure if FB did change anything or maybe a firmware update of the WP did something.. Maybe even windows did some weird update that changed the native Webcam driver.,. Who knows..

But there are several reports now of issues with a cropped window..
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61972
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62542
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

mickjones

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 8:13 pm

I am sending a switched output from the ATEM television studio into a web presenter for Live facebook streaming. However, when I see the signal on the facebook live stream, it is centre cropped in by about 20% on all sides. So all graphics and media player content is cut off even if I frame wider with cameras. The signal on the front of the teranex mini LCD panel on the web presenter is not cropped, only when I see it's streaming signal.

Update: at first It seems to be able to be worked around using OBS but like others on the forum, I want to keep this simple. I also found that I could not get a streaming signal using OBS (it just frezzes on the first frame) and only seems to work whengoing directly in "go live" on facebook.

There is no cropping when I use the web presenter on Skype, and I can't even get the "go live" option when I open facebook in safari. This situation is very annoying.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 10:49 pm

This is application dependent however, we've seen the best results with people going through OBS to their web browser to stream.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

DanielSau

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 5:00 pm

I have just purchased the Blackmagic Web Presenter and the image is significantly cropped on the USB output from the device (around 25%) on all four sides.

This cuts off graphics and titles, as well as makes the video feed unusable in many situations.

Is it possible for this device to output (un-cropped video signals?)

Input is SDI
Destination is USB via Skype (Purchased for this reason)

Noticed the same thing happened on Facebook live via Chrome.
However Skype is the sole reason why this device was purchased.

It effectively outputs a 4:3 signal, even though the Mini Panel LCD shows a 16:9 feed, (which is squeezed to fit within the screen)

Example file attached.
Note: The camera was re positioned slightly during the photo evidence, but you clearly see the cropped output via the Skype video input setup.
Attachments
crop.jpg
crop.jpg (428.59 KiB) Viewed 6615 times

bryanharley

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 2:25 am

We’re having this issue too. Web Presenter to MacBook Pro, Facebook Live. When is Blackmagic going to fix this?

Andrew Martin

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Might be worth ur time registering a ticket with BMD, they rarely frequent this 'user' forum. So the more users that make them aware of an issue with a product, the higher chance something will be done.

Flame Hel

PostSun Jul 29, 2018 11:46 am

I have the same problem in Chrome on OSX, but I do not get any cropping in Firefox, so I have switched to using Firefox for my live-streaming.

Return to Live Production