Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 9 Not working in Windows 10

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Peter Arvidsson

Fusion 9 Not working in Windows 10

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 pm

If already solved I do apologize and if so could somebody please point me in the direction for a solution to Fusion 9 not working properly in Windows 10 if already posted here in the Forum. Would be much appreciated.

I've mined the web and this forum myself and so far I have followed the instruction to reinstall Windows 10 without any luck. It seems like it can't find the plugins within it's own plugins folder and therefore crashes. If I go into the plugins folder, right click on any plugin and chose "open with" Fusion 9 the program opens just fine.
It worked for a moment after the fresh install of Windows 10. After I installed my Adobe CC apps it stopped working. I uninstalled each of the Adobe CC apps and then reinstalled Fusion 9 and it worked.
I reinstalled Adobe CC apps one by one and after each one I tested Fusion and it did open properly.
After installing Videocopilot plugins it stopped working and even after uninstalling those Fusion no longer works.
I tried shutting off Firewall, malware program and no luck. I don't have the OFX folder as I've seen other people mention!
I've downloaded and installed Fusion 9 on my MacBook pro (2104, Sierra) and it works fine. I have the exact same programs and plugins as on my PC and none is making Fusion crash there.
However the PC is my main Workstation and I'd love if it could work on that one as well.

Why all the issues on a windows machine and the fact that it all of a sudden looses it's path to the plugins folder causing it to crash? Seems like there are so many reasons for this not to work on a PC!?

I tried to get help from BM support but since I downloaded the free one for learning before buying they do not offer any help. And I won't make any purchase until I know this one does.

My build is:
ASUS Prime z270-a
KabyLake i7700k
64 Gb's of G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200Mhz
Samsung 960 Pro 1 tb for OS and Programs
NVIDIA GTX 1080ti GPU

Best/
Peter

RobFromm

Re: Fusion 9 Not working in Windows 10

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 11:30 pm

I can't offer any knowledgeable solution for you; but, it is something in your install/environment. I am running Fusion 9 Studio on my Win 10 PC with no problems and fusion 9 on my win 10 laptop. I think I would move everything from the installs directories and try again with a fresh install.

Robert Sandven

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 1:16 pm

I have also troubles with Fusion 9 on Windows 10 Pro.
I get this error message when opening: 0xc0000142. I´ve searched all over the internet for this, and nothing works. Tried to run as Administrator and Compatibility Mode (Win 7 and 8). I´ve tried to install a fresh install of both Win 10 and Fusion, but still get this annoying error.

BTW, Fusion 8 works perfect.

-Robert

Robert Sandven

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 6:24 pm

I've literally tried every step of every method of this problem and today I solved it!

I got a AMD 1090T and that assume that wasn't compatible with Windows 10 and Fusion 9.
So today I got the AMD FX-8350 in the mail and everything works perfectly! (well haven't tested all the functions, but the program opened at least)

So maybe swap your old CPU's and get moving :)

-Robert

Stuart MacKinnon

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 9:14 pm

As far as I understand 0xc0000142 is an indication that a dll failed to initialise. The error code seems to be just a catch-all error for any number of issues, so I don't specifically know what would cause it. It could be a C runtime configuration problem, or it could be some dependent dll has an invalid or expired signature, or possibly any number of other reasons. A dependent dll could be just about anything. It could be something OpenGL or OpenCL libraries and drivers use. It could be a shell/explorer extension. It could be some antivirus dll. It's an error from Windows, so Fusion itself hasn't even started. The main issue is that Windows doesn't actually say what the specific problem is, or the offending dll. Makes it virtually impossible to nail down what's wrong.

As for Peter Arvidsson's issue, I'm having a hard time understanding what the problem is. Are you confusing plugin with comp? If you right click on a plugin (which is a dll) how would you ever be able to open that with Fusion? What makes you think Fusion can't find plugins within its own plugins folder?

Peter Arvidsson

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 5:31 pm

@Stuart MacKinnon

When I right click the Fusion 9 shortcut on the desktop and chose "Trouble shoot Compatibility"
and click "Test the Program" under "Try Recommended Settings" I get the following error messages

"Unable to load plugin: DDS.plugin"
"Unable to load plugin: FBX.plugin"
"Unable to load plugin: OpenVR.plugin"
"Unable to load plugin: 3D.plugin"
"Unable to load plugin: CinemaRaw.plugin"
"Unable to load plugin: DDS.plugin"
"Unable to load plugin: FBX.plugin"

All followed by "Cannot load library C:/Program Files/Blackmagic Design/Fusion 9/Plugins/Blackmagic/xxxx.plugin: The specified module could not be found

However the structure is correct when following the path in Program Files.
Once inside the plugins folder inside of Fusion 9, when I right click one of the .plugins say 3D for example and chose open with "Fusion" the program opens up just fine.

Peter Arvidsson

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 5:35 pm

@RobFromm

Thank you Rob, I will have another go at this.

Stuart MacKinnon

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Fusion does not need any compatibility settings, and it seems that compatibility settings are restricting paths that dependent dlls can be loaded from (so not compatible at all), and that explains why Fusion can't load plugins that depend on other dlls in the same directory, so just don't do that. Just run it normally without any compatibility settings. Why were you trying to use compatibility settings in the first place? It's not obvious from your original post.

As for right clicking on a plugin and telling it to open with Fusion, Fusion wouldn't be able to load a plugin, as it's just a dll with a .plugin extension instead. It would cause Explorer to just start Fusion normally though (as if you'd browsed to \Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 9 and just double-clicked on Fusion.exe).

Sander de Regt

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 am

Stuart, on a slightly related note: is there something I can install under Windows 7 to prevent Fusion from disappearing completely when using some of the new stuff in the camera tracker for example.
Is there something Fusion needs specifically in Windows 10 that Windows 7 can't provide?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Stephen Horwat

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 8:17 pm

Sander: I would guess you've encountered a bug in CameraTracker. Some code bugs (eg. using uninitialized memory) can crash more frequently depending on the OS. If you can give us a list of steps to reproduce this silent crash, then we can fix it.

Sander de Regt

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 pm

In the camera tracker (and the planar tracker btw) it's pretty easy: do a track and as soon as I press the 'export' button in the camera tracker Fusion disappears. The track works, the solve works. I can even use the solve by using the 3D output and the 3Dtransform, but press 'export' in the 'export tab' and poof!

The planar tracker is similar: the track works, but as soon as I press 'create planar transform' Poof! Gone!
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Ciro Cardoso

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 1:19 pm

I am also having problems with Fusion 9 on Windows 10. Initially, nothing would open. I then removed Fusion 8 and did a fresh install of Fusion 9. It wouldn't open anyway. I tried as Windows 8.1 and it opens for a couple of seconds before crashing without any error message.

Stephen Horwat

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Sander: I've failed to reproduce the crash you are experiencing on Windows 7, Windows 10, and El Capitan using Fusion 9 build 13. I tried exporting in both CameraTracker and PlanarTracker on all three platforms. Perhaps there is something unusual about your system or you are using CameraTracker/PlanarTracker in a slightly different fashion than I am that provokes this crash. At the moment nothing further can be done until the crash can be reproduced.

Sander de Regt

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 8:27 pm

That's strange. I don't *think* there's anything special with my system.
Are there any files that Fusion is dependent on that I need to install?

Would providing a screencast help?

There used to be a way to create a crash-log but I don't know if there still is?

Why do I put so many question marks in this post?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Sigurdhoeyen

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 1:40 pm

I have same problem here - Fusion not starting at all... Tried to uninstall and reinstall twice

Mario Kalogjera

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 12:54 pm

I'll try to ask here to avoid opening a similar thread even thogh it concerns Win 7...

On win 7 SP1, I first installed Fusion 9 Free and got the error 0xc000001d when starting the app (it never loads)...after that, I uninstalled the free version and installed Fusion 9 Studio, but the same thing happens...V8 works fine...

tried the sfc /scannow command but the results returned "all is well", tried DISM as well, the log claimed 98 problems that were fixed, however nothing changed, it still won't run

if it's any help, event viewer shows this: "Faulting module name: FusionScript.dll, version: 9.0.1.3, time stamp: 0x59b7d791"

any ideas what could be the reason or is it general Win7 incompatibility?
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Manuel Senfft

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Same problem here. Fusion 9.0.1 shows the splash screen on Windows 10 Home 64 bit and then closes. Sometimes I can be inside the software for a few seconds, before it closes itself. I also tried all the infoss from the other threads (with moving the OXF plugins), but it did not help ... well... I do not even have OFX plugins to move.

Any more troubleshooting ideas here?
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 / RME Babyface

Mario Kalogjera

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 2:45 pm

Robert Sandven wrote:I've literally tried every step of every method of this problem and today I solved it!

I got a AMD 1090T and that assume that wasn't compatible with Windows 10 and Fusion 9.
So today I got the AMD FX-8350 in the mail and everything works perfectly! (well haven't tested all the functions, but the program opened at least)

So maybe swap your old CPU's and get moving :)

-Robert

This one started me suspecting that the outdated processor indeed could be the reason why I can't start Fusion Studio 9 in neither Win 7 nor Win 10 on the same machine...your Phenom, as well my Athlon II x4 don't seem to support SSE 4.1, a fact that was only revealed in the latest 9.0.1 changes list by BMD as a minimum requirement:

Minimum system requirements for Windows
•Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit
•Microsoft Windows 8/8.1 64-bit
•At least 1 GB disk space
•Minimum 8 GB RAM, 16 GB recommended
•GPU with at least 2GB memory
•USB 2.0 port for Fusion Studio Licensing Key
•CPU with support for SSE4.1

Fusion 9 happily runs in Win 8.1 in my studio on a AMD FX 8320...

Any thoughts? Since, obviously, I can't upgrade the processor in this specific machine to test the theory out...
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
BMD Mini Monitor 4K

Michael Wössner

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi all

I had the very same problem with Fusion 9 not starting on Windows 10 64bit, but getting stuck at the splash screen in black and then white.

The brilliant support (Thank you Alistair!) pointed me in the direction of Synology Cloud Drive Tool which I would never have suspected. It was not enough to stop the task but it had to be deinstalled to make Fusion start.
So, could be worth a try to look at it ...

Michael

Kurt Jewell

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 pm

Removing Synology cloud drive worked for me too! Finally on my way! Thanks.

Felix Koziol

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Removing Synology does work here too, but I will need Synology Drive. Who is responsible for that problem? Blackmagic or Synology? Would be good if I could use both tools

Samuel Tegenfeldt

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 7:39 pm

First post, so Hi all!

Sorry for poking an old post, but I just wanted to add that uninstalling Synology Cloud Backup client also got Fusion 9 working on Windows 10 (creators update).

I did try to install the Synology client after confirming that Fusion now works, and it went back to nothing but at black splash screen.

If I were to guess, i'd say that Synology's VSS Service might have something to do with the problems. Anyway, have to rethink my backup strategy now.

Manuel Senfft

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 am

I do not even know what this Synology is (and I do not have it), but still have the problem that Fusion did not start up. Now with the creators update of Win 10 I did not check again if Fusion now works, though, sorry. Still not thinking that it depends on this Synology thingy.
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 / RME Babyface

Mario Kalogjera

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 9:50 am

I also installed creators update and Fusion 9 still won't run (crash)... These days I'll try to exchange the GPU to a 2 GB model... But i'm afraid it's still going to be the processor that doesn't support sse4.1 that will prevent Fusion from running even if I replace the gpu

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
BMD Mini Monitor 4K

Merrill Grady

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 5:35 am

Same here. Worked fine until this latest update :( Can't use Fusion anymore.

I've tried disabling a bunch of my other apps, restarting, uninstalling/reinstalling, and clearing the preferences a dozen times (even the entire folder). Nothing works. Just hangs on a black splash screen.

edit: I tried disabling startup programs one at a time using msconfig, and found out the culprit is the same as others said - "Cloud Station Drive VSS Service x64" - which is related to my Synology NAS. When I disabled only that, Fusion starts fine. Really not sure why it would be interacting with it, but could the Fusion devs here take a look at this and figure out a workaround? I need my NAS for all of my work backups, so I can't just disable it.

Mario Kalogjera

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Just for the record...since replacing a 1GB GPU with a 2GB one didn't help, I rebulit the machine with a Core2Quad Q8200 instead of AMD Athlon X4 and Win 10, and Fusion 9 now works like a charm...so it was due to SSE4.1 requirement after all...finally I can take advantage of the new V9 features away from my main rig
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
BMD Mini Monitor 4K

billgreg

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 8:05 am

Found a workaround

replace the shortcut to fusion.exe with a batch that does this

1. stop cloud station service