Feature request

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nikola_Duper

Feature request

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 pm

I am a professional editor, and not only, for last 30 years. It's been a long time I am trying to move on Linux (for many good reasons) for my editing and video FX and I have never been closer. Now I have Fusion 9 that finally imports mov video files, I have Resolve (and I LOVE it) but there is no support for mp4 video files and audio doesn't work on my laptop. I have quite a powerful laptop (4 core i7, 16gb ram) and very often I have to move from place to place to edit.
So, as first thing, thank you very much for giving for free such a great peace of software as Resolve and Fusion are!!! Please, just add those 2 little things (audio on Linux laptop and mp4 support) and you will make me happy and ready to spend 300€ for a Studio version.
Thank you.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.1
===
Gigabyte Gaming K3
i7-7700 CPU 3.60GHz x 4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
32 GB Ram
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Linux Ubuntu Studio

PeterMoretti

Re: Feature request

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 1:40 am

I'm confused by your post. I use .mp4 files in Resolve all the time. And audio playbacks on my six year old i3 laptop.

I think maybe there is some setting that needs to be adjusted or something? Have you looked at:

1. Project Settings... Audio... Enable Audio

2. DaVinci Resolve... Preferences... Video I/O and GPU... Use System Audio Output
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Alvaro Castaneda

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 am

PeterMoretti wrote:I'm confused by your post. I use .mp4 files in Resolve all the time. And audio playbacks on my six year old i3 laptop.

I think maybe there is some setting that needs to be adjusted or something? Have you looked at:

1. Project Settings... Audio... Enable Audio

2. DaVinci Resolve... Preferences... Video I/O and GPU... Use System Audio Output

He's talking about the linux version

Mp4 depends on the codec if is h.264 you need studio
audio on linux is not working unless you have some Blackmagic hardware

PeterMoretti

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 3:18 am

Got it, thanks so much for explaining. I did not know.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Nikola_Duper

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 4:24 pm

So mp4 files will work with a Linux Studio version?
Audio will work with BM Intensity? It is the only BM hardware I could use on my laptop.
Thank you.
===
Gigabyte Gaming K3
i7-7700 CPU 3.60GHz x 4
32 GB Ram
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Linux Ubuntu Studio

Alvaro Castaneda

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Nikola_Duper wrote:

So mp4 files will work with a Linux Studio version?
Audio will work with BM Intensity? It is the only BM hardware I could use on my laptop.
Thank you.

Yes
mp4 with h.264 codec can be read in Studio I have it and it reads then, CAN'T write them sadly :(
BM Intensity don't know, but if you have it test it, if it works, it should work even with the free version.

Sound in Resolve linux also needs to be specific codec, not every codec works, uncompressed is better

Nikola_Duper

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 7:35 pm

Yes
mp4 with h.264 codec can be read in Studio I have it and it reads then, CAN'T write them sadly :(

Hm, it is a problem. We are so close to a Linux NLE solution but there are still some steps to be done.
BM Intensity don't know, but if you have it test it, if it works, it should work even with the free version.

I'll test it soon and I'll let you know.
Sound in Resolve linux also needs to be specific codec, not every codec works, uncompressed is better

I'll test this as well. I hope to have some news for the next week.
Thank you.
===
Gigabyte Gaming K3
i7-7700 CPU 3.60GHz x 4
32 GB Ram
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Linux Ubuntu Studio

Nikola_Duper

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 2:18 pm

No luck even with Resolve on Linux. No audio at all. I am working with 14b9.
===
Gigabyte Gaming K3
i7-7700 CPU 3.60GHz x 4
32 GB Ram
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Linux Ubuntu Studio

Nick Glover

Wish list from a new Resolve user

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 2:39 pm

I am brand new to Resolve, so forgive me if these have already been addressed. I have used Premiere for many years, but can't afford the subscription model right now. I happen to already have Vegas Pro, but that has several limitations that really hinder my workflow. So, seeing as there is a free option for Resolve, figured I would give it a try. I am now pretty much hooked on it. I realize that it is primarily color correction software and only recently becoming a more full-featured NLE, but I love it for its NLE features more than anything. The audio tools are absolutely fantastic and, as a musician and audio editor, I am glad to see someone finally willing to bring powerful audio tools to an NLE. It's super awesome that you added AC3 support in this version, so syncing audio to my video is now very easy. Also really excited that MP4 render support is there. Having said all that, here are a few things I would love to see at some point (though none are dealbreakers for me at the moment):
  • Would love more options when rendering to MP4. For example, would like to be able to specify that I want 2-pass VBR, target bitrate, etc. Would also like to be able to encode the audio at 256 kbps instead of a max of 192. I am using the free version, so maybe that's only in Studio, but if not, would love to have that added.
  • When I auto-sync my audio to video, there is no change in the media pool. What I mean is that the original two clips are there, it's just that the audio in the video clip has been "replaced." As a minor usability tweak, I would like it if the synced video would be in the media pool as a third file and/or the original two would be removed and replaced by the synced file. Maybe just an option to do that? Would make it easier to tell at a glance.
  • Would really like the ability to change the timeline frame rate. I don't see much need for having multiple timelines at different frame rates, I would just like to be able to change it after I have imported my media in case I forgot to set it correctly when I set up the project. That way, I don't have to completely redo the project just to change the frame rate. A pop-up when dragging my first clip to a new timeline to change the timeline to match the clip would be nice, too. That is, I drag a clip to the timeline but the clip doesn't match the timeline settings. The box asks if I would like to change the timeline to match the clip. Alternatively, an option in the project settings to match the project to a clip, similar to Vegas (I think).
  • I'm sure there are other options for better titling, but I would like it if there were some more options in the titler. The first thing I would like is just an option for the stroke to be an outer stroke instead of an inner stroke. Ideally, I would also like options to be able to automate on a per-character or per-word basis. For example, could use one title and automate so that it appears one word (or character) at a time instead of having to make multiple titles to make that happen.
  • Mentioned in another thread, but repeating here for completeness. After syncing my video and audio, I see that the mono audio track is correctly identified in the media pool. If I check the clip properties, it indicates that it is mono audio. When I play it, it plays through the center channel. However, when I drag it down to the timeline and a new timeline is created, the audio track created seems to follow the project settings of stereo audio instead of creating an audio track that matches what is in the clip. This causes the audio in the timeline to play back only on the left channel until I manually change the track to mono. It is only a minor time loss to do that now that I know what is going on, but I spent a good 10-20 minutes trying to figure that out the first time and, ultimately, didn't even know there WAS a track audio channels setting until I saw it in a tutorial video the next day (I had just turned off panning, which also seemed to work).

I think that's all I've got. These are all minor grievances for me, though they might be bigger deals for people who do more than the occasional YouTube video. Other than that, I am absolutely loving the software. I'm amazed that you even offer a free option for such full-featured software. Keep up the great work!

PeterMoretti

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 5:38 am

Nick, I think you might want to consider posting your request as its own thread. As this thread, as I learned above, is actually about an audio issue with the Linux version of Resolve. ;)

Nick Glover

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 12:52 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:Nick, I think you might want to consider posting your request as its own thread. As this thread, as I learned above, is actually about an audio issue with the Linux version of Resolve. ;)

I had actually posted this on the beta feedback section. I have no idea how it wound up here :/

Return to DaVinci Resolve