Extending the life of cheesegrater Mac Pro - 4k

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Greg Huson

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 6:38 pm

Seeking system build advice from those with actual practical experience.

We're starting to work more frequently in 4k, and my current system isn't quite beefy enough - it works, but I'd like to go a little faster.

Mac Pro 5,1 (cheesegrater) 12x2.66, 48g ram,
Storage is pretty fast Terrablock on 8gig fiber, or pretty fast esata Raid 0, or internal Raid 0.
2x Nvidia 680, one in a qubix expansion chassis.

with minimal correction, and no blurs or NR, I get 22-28 fps making 1080 dailies from 4k 4:1 Raw. I don't think the storage is the bottleneck.

My question is - will I get significantly better performance (especially once I start adding blurs and NR) from swapping one of the 680s for Titan? Or have I reached the point of diminishing returns? Building a PC is an option, but I don't have a big gear budget for this project, and 'no ProRes render' is kind of a deal killer from my POV.

Thoughts?
GH
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Post Production / Production
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com

Kays Alatrakchi

Re: Extending the life of cheesegrater Mac Pro - 4k

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Have you considered a Hackintosh?

https://www.tonymacx86.com

I've built several for colorists, editors, etc. That's what I use and it's been rock solid for the past 5 years.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 7:42 pm

You should get significantly better performance with a 1080. If you plan to leave a 680 in (for GUI?) you don't want it doing any GPU processing.

I assume you know NVIDIA only has Pascal GPU capable drivers for Sierra. that only macOS Sierra has NVIDIA driver support for Pascal based GPUs.
Last edited by Dwaine Maggart on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Greg Huson

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 10:58 pm

I have considered a Hackintosh, but I don't have the time to learn to do it myself right now.

I am running 10.12.6 and was not aware it was 'pascal' only. I'll keep that in mind when I upgrade the GPUs. So, leave the 680 in the tower, put two new 1080 GPUs in the Cubix. Wheee!
Last edited by Greg Huson on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GH
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 11:07 pm

10.12.x is NOT Pascal ONLY.

It's the ONLY version of OSX (or macOS if you will) that supports Pascal based GPUs.

It still supports all the other NVIDIA cards that have ever been supported.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Uli Plank

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 4:20 am

I can confirm that we are running two 'cheesegraters', each with a Titan-X under El Capitan without issues and quite fast (you'd need Nividia's Webdrivers for these).
Apart from those, we have the same 12-core CPUs, 64 GB RAM, one SSD for system and one for cache plus external RAIDs. No expansion.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Marc Wielage

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 6:57 am

Greg, you can talk to the MacVidCards people who can advise which specific modern GPUs will work with the older 4.1/5.1 Macs. They will flash them for you if necessary in order to make them compatible.

http://www.macvidcards.com/

I think the road for the older-generation Macs is running out of gravel, and the newer Mac Pros have a tendency to have core meltdowns every so often. One possible solution would be to use both: use a new Mac Pro but actually do the render (at slow speed) on an older, more reliable Mac Pro. Everybody is waiting to see what Apple has in store next year, but I'm getting tired of waiting and there's always the chance they'll screw everybody. If they make a sealed box that's $15K, I'll just set my Macs on fire and go Windows.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Hector Berrebi

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 7:36 am

Greg Huson wrote:Seeking system build advice from those with actual practical experience.

We're starting to work more frequently in 4k, and my current system isn't quite beefy enough - it works, but I'd like to go a little faster.

Hey Greg. I work on an upgraded 4,1 with a Titan X card (12GB). its flashed by Macvidcards mentioned here by Marc. I used and recommended his cards in the past and was always pleased.

This card was a definite and noticeable upgrade to Resolve performance.
The 680 is an old and outdated card. even in a double GPU configuration.

So happy with this one I'm considering upgrading to the newer Pascal based Titan

hector.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Uli Plank

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 8:02 am

If you can live without a startup screen, you don't even need to flash them – ours are PC cards.

But keep one of your old cards around in case you need to reinstall drivers (can also be done via Telnet if you know your way in the console).

But we are in the same boat as Marc, if Apple doesn't deliver soon, we'll swap a whole arts university to Windows. Ouch!

Seth Goldin

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 1:13 pm

According to the MacVidCards folks, this new generation of NVIDIA cards draws too much power unless you power them from the SATA ports.

http://www.macvidcards.com/blog/the-pes ... -and-titan

You might be able to power them properly with a Cubix Xpander, though.

The other bottleneck you're running into is your CPU. Though Intel lists these chips as EOL, you can still upgrade via OWC: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/MacPro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Seth Goldin on Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Marc Wielage

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 6:48 am

I gotta say, I feel Greg's pain: I'm very frustrated by our lack of upgrade options from Apple. You would think that a company that has $270 billion in cash overseas (!!!) could find a way to get a new Mac Pro into production in the next 90 days. I'm talking about a machine that would essentially be identical to an HP z840, except that it has an Apple logo on it and runs Mac OSX perfectly right out of the box and have several PCI slots. Give me that and I would stop whining.

AndreeMarkefors

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 7:35 am

Greg Huson wrote:Mac Pro 5,1 (cheesegrater) 12x2.66, 48g ram…

Thoughts?

If sticking with the Mac Pro, I'd consider upgrading to dual 3.46Ghz CPUs. You already have the dual CPU motherboard so maxing the CPUs can be done for "pocket change". I just found a matched pair of two Xeon X5690 3.46GHz for $239...

That would help with both single and multi threaded use cases since it should be a noticeable bump in speed.

We all know that it still won't be the sweetest Mac ever, but I think it's a good price/performance upgrade — if you're comfortable doing it yourself (not difficult).
Current camera: Canon R5C
Mac Pro 2019: 12c | Dual W6800X Duo | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K + LG 55C8
MacBook Pro M3 Max 16" 16/40, 64GB

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 11:38 am

Such a system runs really nice with RAW footage out of a BM, Red, Sony or Arri.

I doubt it will run very well with 4K/UHD in H.264, that stuff might still need transcoding.

Jack Fairley

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 5:40 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:I gotta say, I feel Greg's pain: I'm very frustrated by our lack of upgrade options from Apple. You would think that a company that has $270 billion in cash overseas (!!!) could find a way to get a new Mac Pro into production in the next 90 days. I'm talking about a machine that would essentially be identical to an HP z840, except that it has an Apple logo on it and runs Mac OSX perfectly right out of the box and have several PCI slots. Give me that and I would stop whining.

It's somewhat puzzling - obviously there is still a lot of goodwill towards Apple in the industry, but it feels like they haven't even attempted to satisfy us. At what point will people start throwing in the towel?
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Lee Gauthier

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Well, Apple did very publicly announce that they were going to make a new modular replacement to the MacPro in 2018. In the meantime, they are shipping the iMac Pro in December.

Greg Huson

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 10:54 pm

AndreeMarkefors wrote:[

If sticking with the Mac Pro, I'd consider upgrading to dual 3.46Ghz CPUs. You already have the dual CPU motherboard so maxing the CPUs can be done for "pocket change". I just found a matched pair of two Xeon X5690 3.46GHz for $239...

That would help with both single and multi threaded use cases since it should be a noticeable bump in speed.

We all know that it still won't be the sweetest Mac ever, but I think it's a good price/performance upgrade — if you're comfortable doing it yourself (not difficult).

I was thinking about doing that - but is there really that much to gain from upping the CPU speed from 2.66? Certainly inexpensive by comparison to a pair of 1080s or Titans.

And, I'll check in with MacVidCards next week.

Thanks everyone!
GH
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 11:02 pm

Try one 1080 and a system SSD first and see how far it'll get you.

Jack Fairley

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Greg Huson wrote:I was thinking about doing that - but is there really that much to gain from upping the CPU speed from 2.66?

To me that's an absolute no brainer - there are plenty of tasks that are CPU-bound in digital video, and that's a huge increase in clock speed for very cheap.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Uli Plank

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 2:24 am

I found that replacement tricky due to cooling and mechanical issues. There are companies doing it reliably (for a price), but I wouldn't tackle it myself. YMMV

Dermot Shane

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Lee Gauthier wrote:Well, Apple did very publicly announce that they were going to make a new modular replacement to the MacPro in 2018. In the meantime, they are shipping the iMac Pro in December.

As far i know only writers / fanboyz with rose colored glasses said that
Apple only said "nothing on the MacPro this year"
And made no claims about what happens in 2018

Can you provide a link to Apple directly saying "a new modular replacement to the MacPro in 2018"?

not fanboyz speculating, an actual Apple press release....

Lee Gauthier

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 4:58 pm

They had a sit down with a group of tech journalists with Eddy Cue and a number of other Apple senior staff, specifically to say that Apple was dedicated to pro users and they are replacing the Mac Pro.

Tim Cook also mentioned it in a public address (WWDC?)

If your post wasn't so snarky, I'd link it for you.

Dermot Shane

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Lee Gauthier wrote:They had a sit down with a group of tech journalists with Eddy Cue and a number of other Apple senior staff, specifically to say that Apple was dedicated to pro users and they are replacing the Mac Pro.

Tim Cook also mentioned it in a public address (WWDC?)

If your post wasn't so snarky, I'd link it for you.

didn't really mean to sound snarky, but i don't need those links i know them already....

Still.... blah... all Cook said is "a machine for pro's", `leading most anyone but the rabid fanboyz to question what Cook thinks the word "pro" means... prolly FCX on a iMac....

the sitdown your are refering to only said we screwed up the trashcan + there's no hope for this year.... nothing about anything else, and everything else is fanboyz specualtion

but how that gets translated into a "new macpro in 2018" requires some pretty significant investment in rose colored glasses

I took a close look at the first trashcan and thought it a heat realted disaster, bought another HP at the time, that was a smart decision it turns out...

Paul Provost

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 8:08 pm

I would suggest 2x3.33ghz 5680 CPU upgrade. Even cheaper than the 3.46 and I find that I don't get the "black screen dead Mac" that I and others often got with 3.46.
The 3.33 are a tiny bit slower but the lower power draw seems to make them more stable in a 5.1 Mac Pro.
And maybe a gtx 1070 due to its lower power draw (2x6 pin connectors). Still a giant upgrade from a 680.
Yes you could put in the 3.46ghz and a Titan or 1080 but then you are really pushing power draw for just a hair more performance and for more money too.
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Greg Huson

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 10:15 pm

Great suggestions, thanks.

One more question - from Resolve's point of view, if I'm putting 1080s in the Cubix (1500w ps, so no issue there), is there a big difference between the 8 gig and the 11 gig version of the 1080? The 8 gig is significantly cheaper.

(All this stuff is so cheap, relative to just a few years ago, but, like I said, we're already over-budget on this particular project, so I need to pinch where I can.)

Thanks!
GH
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com

Uli Plank

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 1:09 am

We also took the 2x3.33ghz 5680 CPU upgrade (but with a Titan) and it's running stable until now. But it's pushing the limits, I wouldn't put too much stuff into the cheesegrater beyond that (e.g. no RedRocket).

Regarding RAM, everything up to 4K should be really fine with 8 GB VRAM. If you are planning to go beyond that in your timelines, 12 GB might be better.
Last edited by Uli Plank on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 am

Greg Huson wrote:One more question - from Resolve's point of view, if I'm putting 1080s in the Cubix (1500w ps, so no issue there), is there a big difference between the 8 gig and the 11 gig version of the 1080? The 8 gig is significantly cheaper.

Whenever I have to make a decision like this, I almost always wind up finding a way to spend the extra money and get the better component. My tactic might be to look around for a B-stock or open box version, so the only compromise is the price, not in performance. There are some deals out there sometimes; I just bought an unused Teranex off eBay for almost half off, and it's still in the shrinkwrap (but the box was a little beat-up). Still under warranty, works great.

Adam Archer

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 9:13 am

Keep in mind that you are only running PCI Gen x2 so you are not going to see the full benefits of having a pascal card due to bandwidth limitations. That being said, it will still be more powerful than what you currently have.

Also, if you did go down the PC route (Linux or Windows) later on, you can always throw the graphics cards in your new machine. The same can't be said about the CPUs though so I'd be wary of spent much money in that department.

Kelly Reese

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 11:34 pm

Paul Provost wrote:I would suggest 2x3.33ghz 5680 CPU upgrade. Even cheaper than the 3.46 and I find that I don't get the "black screen dead Mac" that I and others often got with 3.46.
The 3.33 are a tiny bit slower but the lower power draw seems to make them more stable in a 5.1 Mac Pro.
And maybe a gtx 1070 due to its lower power draw (2x6 pin connectors). Still a giant upgrade from a 680.
Yes you could put in the 3.46ghz and a Titan or 1080 but then you are really pushing power draw for just a hair more performance and for more money too.

When your system would crash with the 3.46ghz CPU upgrade, would the crash report point to the Nvidia drivers? I find the very latest Nvidia drivers much more stable now.

Paul Provost

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 12:07 am

I don't remeber but I think it was happening when I had either several amd or nvidia cards in a cubix. (So doesn't look like it was nvidia driver)
But it's non issue now as I have the 3.33ghz 12 core / gtx 980 (2 x 6 pin) in the 5.1 and it never happens ever. It used to happen all the time.
For bigger jobs I use my dual Xeon 24 core pc with gtx 1080ti and that works great too.
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Kelly Reese

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 5:20 am

Paul Provost wrote:I don't remeber but I think it was happening when I had either several amd or nvidia cards in a cubix. (So doesn't look like it was nvidia driver)
But it's non issue now as I have the 3.33ghz 12 core / gtx 980 (2 x 6 pin) in the 5.1 and it never happens ever. It used to happen all the time.
For bigger jobs I use my dual Xeon 24 core pc with gtx 1080ti and that works great too.

Interesting. Do you remember which OS you were using? I'm still hanging onto Yosemite 10.10.5. I wonder which is optimal for the Mac towers, Yosemite or Sierra.

Paul Provost

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 1:09 pm

It happened over many os versions, with many different gpu.
And many other users and facilities reported this "black screen crash" with the common factor being upgraded 5.1 with 3.46ghz cpus (and various gpu and cubix configs).
All I know is it's never happened with the 3.33ghz.
Maybe it's coincidence.
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Sam Steti

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi there,

I've read the whole thread and I'm surprised no one suggested easier solutions, especially for him who is on Sierra yet.
So, you have an external enclosure + Sierra, why not start with a 1080 or 1080 ti inside your mac first ? Then go on if needed with others in the Cubix...
Else, why not trying 2 x 980ti inside your mac ? It's cheap now.

Uli Plank wrote:If you can live without a startup screen, you don't even need to flash them – ours are PC cards.
But keep one of your old cards around in case you need to reinstall drivers (can also be done via Telnet if you know your way in the console).
Correct for PC cards reliability, but reinstalling drivers can be done without Telnet, just one line in the Terminal (or more precisely in cmd + S mode) and almost the same line back after installation done ;) . A loooot easier than switching GPUs inside the box....
I can write the tip it here if you like (so far a bit off topic)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

AndreeMarkefors

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Paul Provost wrote:I would suggest 2x3.33ghz 5680 CPU upgrade. Even cheaper than the 3.46 and I find that I don't get the "black screen dead Mac" that I and others often got with 3.46.
''

Hi Paul,

When I consider the amount of time I've spent over the last few years over at Macrumor's Mac Pro forum when planning my Mac Pro mod—and not having heard of your issue until you mentioned it just now—I think you just got a bad chip(s), a bad install or a combination of many other things that can happen once we start using non-standard components.

I haven't heard of anyone else that has had a problem with the 3.46 chips. For all its showing age, I consider it the Mac Pro's saving grace that I can start a 3D render and go away for the weekend and be 100% sure that it will still be chugging away with zero issues when I come back. Mine has never let me down and I've had full utilisation days at a row many times.

Paul Provost

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 7:49 pm

ive done several upgrades myself and heard of the same issue at major facilities in LA that gave up on trashcans and upgraded 5.1 - and the "dead mac/black screen" issue has cropped up intermittently for all of us, with the only seeming constant being the x5690.
no one I know was able to isolate the cause, but it never happened on stock machines (or on my x5680).
it's not the end of the world and simply requires a force restart, but it was happening too frequently in supervised sessions for my taste (on more than one machine).
so whatever, maybe it's my imagination. I'm on my PC more anyways now, but haven't seen it on my 3.33 mac yet when I am on it.
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Paul Draper

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Greg Huson wrote:Seeking system build advice from those with actual practical experience. My question is - will I get significantly better performance (especially once I start adding blurs and NR) from swapping one of the 680s for Titan? Or have I reached the point of diminishing returns? Building a PC is an option, but I don't have a big gear budget for this project, and 'no ProRes render' is kind of a deal killer from my POV.

My experience: move on & presently Windows is the only option. (New Mac Pros end 2018 perhaps; iMac Pro with blower in your face come Xmas 2017). Take a look at https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/mac-pro.1/ This same discussion about cheese graters goes on endlessly (and 'on the cheap').

A better stop gap may be a Mac Pro 6,1 if you really need to stay with Mac OS. D700 only, possibly second hand? The 'new' prices for such an old spec from Apple are frankly, unconscionable. Hackintosh, absolutely not. Is the worst of both worlds and provides very limited (older) hardware choices for everything, from audio to GPUs.

To cut a longer story much shorter: over a coupe of years I expanded and finessed a very nice 12 core 3.33Ghz Mac Pro 5,1 as far as possible with Titan X (after a bunch of other GPUs); ditto SSD PCIe boot disk; all SSDs throughout including RAID, big Ram etc etc. Was still painful to use with 4k, FCPX & Resolve timelines (in particular, longer formats at say an hour or so). Shorter 4-5 min pieces, well maybe. Overall was a great waste of time and money.

After trialling Windows on Bootcamp during this same period, then doing quite a lot of follow-up research, I ended up with a Windows DP Xeon workstation. I did also consider X99 custom builds but the gaming /overclocking reference points became a little sticky and overall, unsatisfactory. Too many fan boys there. Workstations like the Dell T7910 or HP Z840 work very well indeed. Alternatively, a good custom build by someone that knows workstation MoBos vs. gaming machine assumptions. In the very near future, next gen Intels will change this again and are the basis for both new macs and new PCs. Thunderbolt 3 adaptation is the one to watch there, and especially on workstation MoBos.

Win 10 has been fine; the PC has serious grunt and the experience of working with 4k timelines is lightyears away from persevering with my Mac Pro 5,1 cheese-grater. Who knows, I may return to Apple end next year depending of what they offer in the Mac Pro 7,1.

My 2 cents anyways. I hope that helps.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.5.

Adam Archer

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 9:02 am

Paul Draper wrote:
Greg Huson wrote:Seeking system build advice from those with actual practical experience. My question is - will I get significantly better performance (especially once I start adding blurs and NR) from swapping one of the 680s for Titan? Or have I reached the point of diminishing returns? Building a PC is an option, but I don't have a big gear budget for this project, and 'no ProRes render' is kind of a deal killer from my POV.

My experience: move on & presently Windows is the only option. (New Mac Pros end 2018 perhaps; iMac Pro with blower in your face come Xmas 2017). Take a look at https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/mac-pro.1/ This same discussion about cheese graters goes on endlessly (and 'on the cheap').

A better stop gap may be a Mac Pro 6,1 if you really need to stay with Mac OS. D700 only, possibly second hand? The 'new' prices for such an old spec from Apple are frankly, unconscionable. Hackintosh, absolutely not. Is the worst of both worlds and provides very limited (older) hardware choices for everything, from audio to GPUs.

To cut a longer story much shorter: over a coupe of years I expanded and finessed a very nice 12 core 3.33Ghz Mac Pro 5,1 as far as possible with Titan X (after a bunch of other GPUs); ditto SSD PCIe boot disk; all SSDs throughout including RAID, big Ram etc etc. Was still painful to use with 4k, FCPX & Resolve timelines (in particular, longer formats at say an hour or so). Shorter 4-5 min pieces, well maybe. Overall was a great waste of time and money.

After trialling Windows on Bootcamp during this same period, then doing quite a lot of follow-up research, I ended up with a Windows DP Xeon workstation. I did also consider X99 custom builds but the gaming /overclocking reference points became a little sticky and overall, unsatisfactory. Too many fan boys there. Workstations like the Dell T7910 or HP Z840 work very well indeed. Alternatively, a good custom build by someone that knows workstation MoBos vs. gaming machine assumptions. In the very near future, next gen Intels will change this again and are the basis for both new macs and new PCs. Thunderbolt 3 adaptation is the one to watch there, and especially on workstation MoBos.

Win 10 has been fine; the PC has serious grunt and the experience of working with 4k timelines is lightyears away from persevering with my Mac Pro 5,1 cheese-grater. Who knows, I may return to Apple end next year depending of what they offer in the Mac Pro 7,1.

My 2 cents anyways. I hope that helps.

Why isn't Linux an option? It'd be my preference if anything. There's a reason all pro turnkey post production workstations run Linux. Also why all HPC systems run on it as well. A couple of reasons actually. Stability and performance. The GUI is user friendly too depending on what you go with.

AndreeMarkefors

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 4:01 pm

I might be in the wrong, but when someone posts a thread:

"Extending the life of cheesegrater Mac Pro"

I simply assume there was thought process beforehand. If we don't stay on topic, at some point every thread on the internet will be about everything there is.

Adam Archer

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 7:06 pm

AndreeMarkefors wrote:I might be in the wrong, but when someone posts a thread:

"Extending the life of cheesegrater Mac Pro"

I simply assume there was thought process beforehand. If we don't stay on topic, at some point every thread on the internet will be about everything there is.

Agreed. Apologies about that.

Return to DaVinci Resolve