Black Magic Studio Camera Lens

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

michaelbieke

Black Magic Studio Camera Lens

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi all,

There has been a lot of talk as I've searched this forum on the correct MFT lenses for the Black Magic Studio Camera, but a lot of that talk has involved the ability to remote shade the cameras (which I understand a lot of you do). I'm looking for the correct lens for a fairly simple green screen studio setup. The camera will have a competent operator who can focus, zoom, iris the camera during setup. And the camera will be about 15 feet away from the talent who I'll be shooting from about the waist up.

Pretty basic and nothing fancy, and I'll light it properly, so I'm looking for the right lens to shoot it with that will give me good green screen performance and probably the ability to zoom out to a two shot live (which I understand is not something all these MFT lenses can do).

One of my vendors suggested the Veydra V1-35T22M43I Mini Prime Lens 35mm T2.2 MFT Mount - Imperial Focus Scale.

I've never heard of Veydra lenses, so I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them or had a better suggestion.

Thanks!
Mike Bieke

Denny Smith

Re: Black Magic Studio Camera Lens

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Veydra Mini Primes are very similar in IQ to Zeiss Cine prime lenses, nice contrast, excellent detail.
A 35mm lens at 15 feet is going to give you a waist up shot, with lists of room on either side, so you could also get two people in the same distance/focal length, without zooming. None of the MFT native zoom lenses will do an accucrste live zoom.

A lens like the Sigma 18-35mm will come close when set up properly. Also, the Four Thirds Olympus 14-35mm f/2.0 is an excellent zoom lens that works well on BM Studio camera, I use one on my Micro Studio, excellent IQ, full manual focus as well as push to focus (via CCU on Studio camera) Iris can be controlled on lens or by CCU also. It does require a Four Thirds to MFT adapter from Panasonic or Olympus (third party adapters do not work well with this lens).
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

michaelbieke

Re: Black Magic Studio Camera Lens

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks Denny!

Return to Live Production