Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Where to buy fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ian Duncan

Where to buy fusion

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 6:33 pm

So where can I buy it?

Nobody seems to have any stock of dongles?

Is it because of the recent release?
Cheers,

Ian

Machine:
Custom Built Win10 Pro
Intel Core i9-7980X
GIGABYTE X299 DESIGNARE EX
Samsung 960 PRO Series 512 for OS and 2TB for cache
128gb DDR4 3000
2 x TitanXp GPU
External black magic Decklink 4k through thunderbolt 3
10GBE Nic

Bryan Ray

Re: Where to buy fusion

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 6:39 pm

B&H should have it. They're still selling it as Fusion 8, but it authorizes 7, 8, and 9.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Chad Capeland

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 6:40 pm

Yeah, resellers weren't aware of the price cut, so they didn't have a lot of time to adjust stock.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Chad Capeland

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:B&H should have it.

They don't. Back-ordered for 2 weeks.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Bryan Ray

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Whoops! Apologies; I just verified it was in the store without actually looking at it.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

donaldsmecky

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 12:35 pm

The new features and price have convinced me to upgrade to studio as well - but I'm frustrated that an otherwise innovative company like BM is still selling software the old fashioned way (in my part of the world it will take some time for the resellers to get up to speed)..

Before anyone says "what about the dongle", I own other dongle protected software that is completely handled online so it is quite possible and has been for years.. take this as part lament and part hint, sales probably would have spiked if we could "buy now" right on the site. ;)

Daniel Stern

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 11:41 am

donaldsmecky wrote:Before anyone says "what about the dongle", I own other dongle protected software that is completely handled online so it is quite possible and has been for years.. take this as part lament and part hint, sales probably would have spiked if we could "buy now" right on the site. ;)

A dongle is absolutely pointless in 2017. There are better ways and this would make life easier for customers, except Blackmagic is against that. Second they can claim the profit for themselves. I really hope with the distribution of the dongle-free Resolve, they will "resolve" this problem too. C'mon Blackmagic, we're no longer living in the Stone Age.
MacBook 15"
NVIDIA GT 750M

CUDA 9.0.197
MacOS 10.12.6

Chad Capeland

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 12:00 pm

donaldsmecky wrote:sales probably would have spiked if we could "buy now" right on the site. ;)

That's a separate issue from the licensing though. Fusion Studio could use a software authorization and still be sold through resellers who refused to stock it. Conversely, it could be sold direct from BMD and still require a dongle but you'd have it by now.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Aurore de Blois

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm not a fan of the dongle either, pretty sure nobody is.
back in the before-time, it was how software was licensed but things have evolved since then. If BMD didn't own fusion eyeon would certainly be dongle-free already but BMD is a tech and hardware company so it may be a while before they get around to accepting that software licensing through a hardware dongle is very 1990's and they may be the only ones still clinging to that concept, and who knows? it might actually be hurting sales.

and on that point, it might also explain why fusion is sold through their authorized retailers instead of just direct from them- BMD is used to selling their stuff that way...

I agree that sales of fusion 9 would be huge if they just got rid of the dongle and made it a download purchase from their site, but then their authorized retailers might have something to say about that so who knows what's happening behind the scenes.

my guess is that the dongle will go away with fusion, if newtek can see the light on removing software dongles from lightwave and still sell hardware through retailers, BMD can too. just might be a little while before we see it happen.
just my humble opinion though, a voice in the wilderness.
MSI GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro
Intel CM238 i7-7920 HQ CPU@3.10 GHz
DDR4-2400 (64GB)
1x M.2 SSD (SATA)
2x M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 / SATA)
1x 2.5" SATA HDD
GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Daniel Stern

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Aurore de Blois wrote:I'm not a fan of the dongle either, pretty sure nobody is.
back in the before-time, it was how software was licensed but things have evolved since then. If BMD didn't own fusion eyeon would certainly be dongle-free already but BMD is a tech and hardware company so it may be a while before they get around to accepting that software licensing through a hardware dongle is very 1990's and they may be the only ones still clinging to that concept, and who knows? it might actually be hurting sales.

and on that point, it might also explain why fusion is sold through their authorized retailers instead of just direct from them- BMD is used to selling their stuff that way...

I agree that sales of fusion 9 would be huge if they just got rid of the dongle and made it a download purchase from their site, but then their authorized retailers might have something to say about that so who knows what's happening behind the scenes.

my guess is that the dongle will go away with fusion, if newtek can see the light on removing software dongles from lightwave and still sell hardware through retailers, BMD can too. just might be a little while before we see it happen.
just my humble opinion though, a voice in the wilderness.

Good words, thank you. So we hope really the best that it will happen. Here in Brazil it's a mess. If you want information about a product you wait weeks for an answer ( or you don't get any ). So, this distribution model doesn't work very well. Then, sometimes you have totally abusive prices ( not only taxes, because they can). And for sure Brazil is not the only country with such a mess. That's why I hope, at least, software could be distributed 100% online.

I hope I could explain a little bit, why I'm upset. But I also understand, that processes take their time, unfortunately it's difficult to wait.
MacBook 15"
NVIDIA GT 750M

CUDA 9.0.197
MacOS 10.12.6

Ben Rogall

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 12:23 am

There still seems to be a shortage. None of my usual resellers have Fusion in stock. Any idea when it will be available again?

Mario Kalogjera

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 5:42 pm

I ordered mine locally (EU) last friday (listed as Fusion Studio 8), they said on monday I'd have to wait 3 or 4 days, but when I called on tuesday to check if my payment got registered with them, they said I could come pick it up, and turned out it was V9...so it is either available, or I got lucky somehow to receive a stray copy...
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Return to Fusion