VA Assist 4K HDMI output not recognised

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Suki Mok

VA Assist 4K HDMI output not recognised

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 11:18 pm

Hi All,

A wonderful piece of kit, but I've found that I can't get any monitors I have to accept the HDMI output from the VA assist 4K. Some say 'input not supported' whilst some just display a blank screen.

I've read it uses a relatively new HDMI 2.0a signal and that some monitors or TVs won't accept it. Does anyone know if this is the case? And if so, is there a converter that can remedy this?

Could it potentially be the cable? or even a setting I've missed?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

Suki Mok

Re: VA Assist 4K HDMI output not recognised

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 8:41 am

Any help would be great thanks dudes!

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 4:01 pm

The VA's HDMI output will depend on the video signal being input or camera resolution setting when clip,is recorded. The VA dos not up/down convert the signal being received, only re-outputs the input signal. So I you are recording 1080p60 or UHD, any external monitor connected via HDMI must be able to accept a 1080p60 or UHD signal, which not all monitors, especially older ones, will do.

The HDMI 2.0 specification is backwards compatible, so I doubt this is your issue. Also, check your HDMI cables, they should be the newerst high definition/wide bsndwithmtypes, as older HDMI cables will not pass UHD or 1080p60 signals either. Same goes for SDI cables also.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Suki Mok

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 7:06 pm

Thank you very much for your reply Denny. Much appreciated!

Suki Mok

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi Denny,

Is there a converter that I can use to convert the signal from the HDMI out/SDI out of the VA to a regular consumer full HD TV?

Thanks for your help!

Jack Fairley

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 11:46 pm

What resolution/framerate is your signal?
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Suki Mok

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 5:56 am

I think from what Denny said, what comes out of the VA is determined by what resolution and framerate is being shot in camera, which naturally varies.

My setup is a UMP with a VA and a VA4K. Both VAs are connected to the camera using SDI cables. The 5 inch is for the 1st AC and the 7 inch VA is usually given to the director. Often, the client would like a 3rd monitor. We sometimes have a nice Sony reference monitor which takes an SDI from the VA4k, but sometimes all that is available is a regular consumer TV, so I wondered what I can use to get an image up on a TV.

Thanks!

Denny Smith

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 5:46 pm

Yes, what goes into the VA signal wise, is what comes out. So, for example, if you input 1080i59.94 from a Canon C100, the VA will display/record it as received, and output the signal as a 1080i59.94 interlace signal. If you are recording a UHD/4K signal, that is the resolution outputted from a VA4K (the VA 5-inch HD model will downconvert the UHD to HD to display, and output the same HD signal, which will feed most TV monitors. However a UHD signal out of the VA4K will require a monitor capable of displaying that resolution. Same with 1080p60, not all TV monitors can display HD at 59.94 Pr 60 fps in Progressive resolution.

Using a TV monitor that lacks SDI is doable, You can do this with a SDI to HDMI Converter on the TV Monitor end. Again, the TV monitor will need to be able to display the signal resolution being used.
To downconvert a UHD signal to HD, the VA 5-inch can do this, or get a Up/down/cross Converter box that will match the camera signal to the monitor being used.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Suki Mok

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Thank you again for the detailed reply Denny.

Handily, on the UMP, you can select the output to be 1080P even if you're shooting in UHD. So after reading the specs of the Blackmagic micro SDI to HDMI converter, it should do the trick right? as it accepts pretty much any 1080 signal and converts it to any 1080 HDMI signal which I can use on a consumer Full HD TV.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... /W-CONU-03

Does this make sense or am I missing something glaringly obvious? Cheers!

Return to Cinematography