Software vs Hardware video scopes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jonathan Kutner

Software vs Hardware video scopes

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi All,

Got a question, was thinking about buying a Blackmagic Design SmartScope Duo 4K to use for my video scopes. Was just wondering if the scopes that come built into DaVinci are really enough or if I should use better hardware ones. Does it really make that much of a difference these days with software scopes supposedly being really good?

Dermot Shane

Re: Software vs Hardware video scopes

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 4:10 pm

it can make a diffrence, depending on your needs and workflow

if you;
- have mutiple machines
- have mutiple i/o cards in single machine
- use software other than Resolve that needs scopes
- use error logging
- need to verify something through software other than the software that created it ie; levels on a export, checked on another software to verify the file for a client after they winge about it being dark/bright/saturated etc etc etc...

and i'd look at scopebox or ultrascope long before i would consider the smartscope

Hector Berrebi

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 6:10 am

Jonathan Kutner wrote:Hi All,

Got a question, was thinking about buying a Blackmagic Design SmartScope Duo 4K to use for my video scopes. Was just wondering if the scopes that come built into DaVinci are really enough or if I should use better hardware ones. Does it really make that much of a difference these days with software scopes supposedly being really good?

Hi Jonathan.

I agree with Dermot. also prefer Ultrascope over SmartScope.

And I'll add to his list that:
Software scopes take up some processing power, which you save with ext.
Its noticeable when things get heavy.

External scopes can be placed next to your grading monitor where they should be, and not in the narrow confined strip they get in a Resolve 2 monitor set up.

Maybe I'm a purist.. but something about analyzing the actual video signal from SDI seems more accurate and right to me.

That said... after so long using Ultrascope, I'd really like for it to get a software update...

hector.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Marc Wielage

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 8:34 am

I'm a huge fan of Scopebox, and after comparing to the UltraScope (and several other competing products), opted to go for that because of its flexibility. Check it out here:

http://www.divergentmedia.com/scopebox
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve