A little UI cleanup could save hours of rendering time.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PalmerWoodrow

A little UI cleanup could save hours of rendering time.

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 10:28 pm

More than once I've returned to an hour-plus-long render to find that the generated files are essentially useless to me because they're named wrong.

This can happen easily for two reasons:

1. When you select "individual clips," the default is NOT to use the source names for the destination names; it's to generate new names. This does not make sense. In many cases, you've selected "individual clips" so you can relink your editing timeline to the color-corrected version of your footage. For that to to work, the clips must have the same names. I can't see any downside to having Resolve use the source name by default.

2. The render-settings pane allows you to select the destination file location and "single clip" or "individual clips," but the rest of the file settings are not visible by default; they're obscured from view on a tab. This means that you're even less likely to discover the unexpected default naming scheme.

Therefore I request that the Location setting and the single/individual-clip setting be moved to where the rest of the file settings are, so we can set all destination-related options at once and be assured of seeing them. For those who want these visible at all times, I'll go one better: Let's have a summary pane, akin to the ones you find on some other applications with rendering functions. Then you can see the video, audio, and output settings that are in effect in a glance, at all times.

The good news is that it doesn't even need to take up more screen real estate than the current pane!

Check it out:
Resolve render settings.png
suggested render-settings pane
Resolve render settings.png (392.29 KiB) Viewed 3611 times

Oh, and please use "source name" as the default when we select "individual clips."
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Andreas Schwarz

Re: A little UI cleanup could save hours of rendering time.

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 8:50 am

...and please enable "export audio" as default! In most projects, we want to export audio...

Daniel Stern

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 12:54 pm

PalmerWoodrow wrote:
Check it out:
Resolve render settings.png

Oh, and please use "source name" as the default when we select "individual clips."

+1 Thanks, nice job. Every optimization is welcome.
MacBook 15"
NVIDIA GT 750M

CUDA 9.0.197
MacOS 10.12.6

Jim Simon

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 4:04 pm

PalmerWoodrow wrote:please use "source name" as the default when we select "individual clips."

Definitely!
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

PalmerWoodrow

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 1:15 am

Thanks, guys.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Peter Cave

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 11:06 am

PalmerWoodrow wrote:Oh, and please use "source name" as the default when we select "individual clips."

This was an intentional design feature from waaaay back in history, to prevent accidental overwriting of source clips. I need to check if that is still the case when a render path is not set.

The default settings are optimised for round-trip grading workflows, which are still extremely important to most commercial customers.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

PalmerWoodrow

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Peter Cave wrote:The default settings are optimised for round-trip grading workflows, which are still extremely important to most commercial customers.

Indeed. That's why it would make sense to keep the source names. Otherwise there's no round trip.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Peter Cave

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 12:05 am

PalmerWoodrow wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:The default settings are optimised for round-trip grading workflows, which are still extremely important to most commercial customers.

Indeed. That's why it would make sense to keep the source names. Otherwise there's no round trip.

That is incorrect. You can use any output file name for a round trip workflow. The new file names are embedded in the new output XML or AAF.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

PalmerWoodrow

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Peter Cave wrote:That is incorrect. You can use any output file name for a round trip workflow. The new file names are embedded in the new output XML or AAF.

If there's "new output XML," that's not really a round-trip now is it?

As a result, you're going to lose any editing decisions, structures, and effects that are not supported by the flavor of XML being used... and we all know how flawed this kind of workaround is in the best of cases.

A real round trip brings your corrected footage into your original timeline, thus retaining everything in the timeline that your editing application supports. The only wholly reliable way (I can think of) to accomplish that is to simply keep the filenames and lengths the same.

And the best part is that this is also the easiest way!
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Peter Cave

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 11:52 pm

PalmerWoodrow wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:That is incorrect. You can use any output file name for a round trip workflow. The new file names are embedded in the new output XML or AAF.

If there's "new output XML," that's not really a round-trip now is it?

As a result, you're going to lose any editing decisions, structures, and effects that are not supported by the flavor of XML being used... and we all know how flawed this kind of workaround is in the best of cases.

A real round trip brings your corrected footage into your original timeline, thus retaining everything in the timeline that your editing application supports. The only wholly reliable way (I can think of) to accomplish that is to simply keep the filenames and lengths the same.

And the best part is that this is also the easiest way!

I have been doing round trip workflows with Avid, FCP7, FCPX & Premiere for over 10 years with excellent results. Your comments reveal to me that you are not familiar with how these workflows work in Resolve. They are "real" round trips. They do everything in the timeline that your editing application supports. Filenames are irrelevant! Your lack of understanding does not mean the software is flawed. In the manual you will read that one must not do editing when doing a grading round trip because it breaks the workflow. If you follow the manual it works perfectly. Remember: round trip workflows are only for grading, not editing or layering. The timeline must stay "locked" for a round trip workflow.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

PalmerWoodrow

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 am

]
Peter Cave wrote:Remember: round trip workflows are only for grading, not editing or layering.

What is that even supposed to mean?

Peter Cave wrote:The timeline must stay "locked" for a round trip workflow.

Yes, in the crippled workflow that you're citing. But it needn't be that way.

Once you've made your rough (or even nearly-finished) cut, you know which clips are utilized in your program. Now you can collect those (with, for example, Premiere's "project manager") and bring them into Resolve for color correction. Then you can render them out with the same filenames and reconnect them in your Premiere project to instantly switch your project over to the CCed footage. Then you can tweak it as you see fit, with no worries about handles or other baked-in decisions you would have had to make with some newly generated XML EDL and a bunch of clips that are not exact replacements for the originals.

Not to mention that my request doesn't hamper your preferred mode of working, while enhancing others'. So what's the problem?
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Peter Cave

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 2:30 am

No problem. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, that's ok. I just think your suggestion is because you were caught out by not understanding the way the Resolve Deliver page is implemented. I think your idea is even more cluttered and confusing than the present layout. But that's just my opinion.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

PalmerWoodrow

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 4:13 am

Peter Cave wrote:I think your idea is even more cluttered and confusing than the present layout.

How? All I did was move the two file-destination fields into the File area where they belong... with all of the other file settings.

What is confusing?
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Peter Cave

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 8:19 am

PalmerWoodrow wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:I think your idea is even more cluttered and confusing than the present layout.

How? All I did was move the two file-destination fields into the File area where they belong... with all of the other file settings.

What is confusing?

No problem. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, that's ok.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Dan Sherman

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 11:48 am

Peter Cave wrote:
PalmerWoodrow wrote:

What is confusing?

No problem. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, that's ok.

Enough with you and your passive aggressive BS.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

PalmerWoodrow

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:No problem. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, that's ok.

Enough with you and your passive aggressive BS.

Amen, Dan.

There's one in every forum, it seems.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Return to DaVinci Resolve