Blackmagic Video Assist Brightness

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mike Mas

Blackmagic Video Assist Brightness

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Hey guys I'm looking at getting a monitor recorder and looking at the BM Video assist but I can't find the the NIT brightness published anywhere. Since I shoot outside brightness is important. My buddy has the Shogun Inferno with 1500 nit but there is no options for me to review SD cards in the field.

Thanks Mike
www.rotory.com

Robert Niessner

Re: Blackmagic Video Assist Brightness

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Mike, look here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62151

and here a comparison between Shogun Inferno and Ursa Mini 4.6k display brightness:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60184&p=344405#p344405
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Mike Mas

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Robert,

Thanks so much - super job on the comparison.

I do have another question that maybe you can answer for me. I would like to use the Shogun Inferno or Blackmagic for drone work to preview shots at the field. But I need something to display video from the SD cards from the drones.

I did manage to find a board on Ebay that has two SD slots that will fit in the Atomos drive slot but I don't think it will play either MOV or MP4 videos. any ideas on that or perhaps another device that will.

Mike

www.rotory.com
www.rotory.com

Xtreemtec

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 1:32 pm

The BMD will also not play the format that is coming from your drone.. It needs the exact codec and framerate to match otherwise it won't play..

A laptop is one of the only good options.. Or record your downlink to a VA or Ato.. And review your downlink footage. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Mike Mas

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for the reply - however the quality coming from the HDMI output on the transmitter is poor quality and not really usable unless for ENG applications.

Let me hit you with another question - is there any format I could load on the Atomos Shogun SSD to preview drone footage at the field?

Many Thanks

Mike
www.rotory.com

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Yourmdrine ismrecording the good footage, and the downlink recording is just to "review" the footage, so it should be good enough to see what was recorded? Unless you can not tell when the drone recording starts and stops on the downlink footage?

If you want to check the actual footage for quality and to see what was actually recorded, then a laptop is your only choice, the VA or Atomos recorders are not going to work, as the drone video format does not match either device.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started