Feature Request: SDI Cam Control Data always on Output

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Robert Betzner

Feature Request: SDI Cam Control Data always on Output

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi,

we use a lot of the camera converters with our broadcast Cameras like Panasonic HPX3100 and others. It works well so far. But there is one central issue that is not really thought of by BMD:

The Monitor output of the Camera Converter only carries the SDI camera control data if you switch the output to PGM. That doesn't make any sense.

In an ideal world it would carry the control data at any time - no matter if you watch your camera output or switch to PGM. The reason is that we really would like to use the Arduino Shield on the output to control the iris of the cameras. With the Arduino Shield that would be no problem. You could even create a bigger tally light with it in addition to be able to control the iris of a standard broadcast camera.

This is currently not possible because of the lack of control data if the Camera Converter is switched to camera output.

Any chance that this could be changed by a firmware update?

Cheers

Robert

Xtreemtec

Re: Feature Request: SDI Cam Control Data always on Output

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 am

The development of the Atem Camera converter stopped about 4 years ago.. So don't count on it..
And because of the monitor output does a switch between input signal and fiber signal.. Yes it does that inside of the FPGA so it could be done to embed that data into the stream.. But i think you won't see this feature happen.

If you really want this you could build your own converter by using a normal fiber converter.. It will always output that data.. But then again you don't have any hdmi, intercom, tally...
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Baz

Re: Feature Request: SDI Cam Control Data always on Output

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 12:17 am

Similar issue with the BMD Studio camera's. I have to use optical to SDI converters to get access to the CCU iris/zoom/focus data for my B4 Lens controllers.

When using the camera converters with my Lens controllers I have to leave them permanently on PGM.

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Return to Live Production